Scrolling text

T Braverman

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
I have found and used this piece of HTML code.

<marquee bgcolor="FF0000" border=0>IN PRISON SINCE December 17th,
1999</marquee>

I would like the text in the message to appear in, say, green (not black) but
cannot see a way of changing the color.

I have tried: text="00FF00"
color text="00FF00"

and placed it after the bgcolor="FF0000" - but without success.

Can somebody advise, please?

--
Terry

terry.b...@zetnet.co.uk
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Cambridge, England
www.terrybraverman.co.uk
www.wintercomfort-justice.org

Doug Deboys

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:23:37 +0100, T Braverman wrote:

>I would like the text in the message to appear in, say, green (not black) but
>cannot see a way of changing the color.

You could try:

<marquee bgcolor="FF0000" border=0>

IN PRISON SINCE December 17th, 1999

</marquee>

However I must add that the <marquee> tag is not valid HTML and will
only be recognised by Microsoft Internet Explorer. Users of other
browsers will still see the text, in the specified colour, against
the _page_ background, but it will not scroll.

--
Doug Deboys
Churchill College

Mark Goodge

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:23:37 +0100, T Braverman put finger to keyboard
and typed:

>I have found and used this piece of HTML code.
>

><marquee bgcolor="FF0000" border=0>IN PRISON SINCE December 17th,
>1999</marquee>

>I would like the text in the message to appear in, say, green (not black) but
>cannot see a way of changing the color.
>

>I have tried: text="00FF00"
> color text="00FF00"
>
>and placed it after the bgcolor="FF0000" - but without success.
>
>Can somebody advise, please?

You need a <font color> tag, inside the <marquee> tags:

<marquee bgcolor="FF0000" border=0><font color=#00FF00>IN PRISON SINCE

December 17th, 1999</font></marquee>

Mark
--
More pretentious waffle now at http://www.mark.x.tc

T Braverman

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
The message <slrn8g1dbj...@phillipsite.chu.cam.ac.uk>
from dr...@cam.ac.uk (Doug Deboys) contains these words:

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:23:37 +0100, T Braverman wrote:

> >I would like the text in the message to appear in, say, green (not black) but
> >cannot see a way of changing the color.

> You could try:

> <marquee bgcolor="FF0000" border=0>

> IN PRISON SINCE December 17th, 1999
> </marquee>

> However I must add that the <marquee> tag is not valid HTML and will

> only be recognised by Microsoft Internet Explorer. Users of other
> browsers will still see the text, in the specified colour, against
> the _page_ background, but it will not scroll.

> --
> Doug Deboys
> Churchill College

Thanks - this is what I've discovered!

Thanks again.

Terry

T Braverman

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
The message <3900b536...@n-news.markshouse.net>
from ma...@good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge) contains these words:
> You need a <font color> tag, inside the <marquee> tags:

> <marquee bgcolor="FF0000" border=0><font color=#00FF00>IN PRISON SINCE

> December 17th, 1999</font></marquee>

Thank you, too, Mark.

Terry

David Damerell

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Doug Deboys <dr...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>However I must add that the <marquee> tag is not valid HTML and will
>only be recognised by Microsoft Internet Explorer. Users of other
>browsers will still see the text, in the specified colour, against
>the _page_ background, but it will not scroll.

Given that things which move are always an error, I suggest that this be
seen as a feature of Netscape et al. :-)

The other potential error in Terry's latest outing is that if you set some
but not all of the colours you risk producing a nonsense page for people
who set their default colours, and that certain colour combinations are
low contrast and hence hard to read.
--
David/Kirsty Damerell. dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk
| |I hear the fan of a big machine, Two days, I'm in between, break; | |