"Calgary's view of the world"

Rudolf Potucek

May 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/20/00
Hi gang!

Yes, I am back from Toronto, the Center of the Universe and a distinctly
more cosmopolitan place than Calgary. And what is the FIRST thing I see
coming from the Airport? A Billboard ad by the Herald stating "Calgary's
view of the world". Now we all know that to be pathetically true ...
"World news? What is that?" But (a) that makes it terrible advertising
and (b) what does it tell the visitor about the city?!? Maybe someone
could pull some strings and have that advertisement changed?

Rudolf

J Schaefer

May 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/20/00
TO's a fun city to visit.

You triggered a recollection. We were there a couple weeks ago and in the
PATH that was proximate to CBC's headquarters was a billboard that read,
"Toronto, Centre of the Universe"

I figure it's probably okay for Calgary to at least have a view.

Cheers,

JPS

Rob Lee

May 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/20/00
J Schaefer wrote:

> TO's a fun city to visit.
>
> You triggered a recollection. We were there a couple weeks ago and in the
> PATH that was proximate to CBC's headquarters was a billboard that read,
> "Toronto, Centre of the Universe"
>
> I figure it's probably okay for Calgary to at least have a view.

LOL, reminds me of a picture I took of a sign in TO's Eaton Centre - it
also says "The centre of the Universe is in Toronto".

Sammi

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
I guess I'm thick, but I don't get what's offensive about that
advertising.

>"Rudolf Potucek" <pot...@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote in message

>> Hi gang!
>>
>> Yes, I am back from Toronto, the Center of the Universe and a distinctly
>> more cosmopolitan place than Calgary. And what is the FIRST thing I see
>> coming from the Airport? A Billboard ad by the Herald stating "Calgary's
>> view of the world". Now we all know that to be pathetically true ...
>> "World news? What is that?" But (a) that makes it terrible advertising
>> and (b) what does it tell the visitor about the city?!? Maybe someone
>> could pull some strings and have that advertisement changed?
>>
>> Rudolf

With Servers In California, Texas And Virginia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source
Webmasters New RevShare Program http://www.uncensored-news.com/revshare.html

Bill W

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

the lone haranguer

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
On Wed, 24 May 2000 01:08:57 GMT, "Bill W" <billi...@home.com> wrote:

to the mistake by the lake

>"Rudolf Potucek" <pot...@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi gang!
>>
>> Yes, I am back from Toronto, the Center of the Universe and a
distinctly
>> more cosmopolitan place than Calgary.

Thank you so much for honouring us. We are not worthy.

And what is the FIRST thing I see
>> coming from the Airport? A Billboard ad by the Herald stating
"Calgary's
>> view of the world".

So if the Herald claims to have the best newspaper, and they report
World news, something not required in Toronto, would they not be
providing Calgarians with their view of the world?

Now we all know that to be pathetically true ...
>> "World news? What is that?"

Something outside of Toronto!

>> But (a) that makes it terrible advertising
>> and (b) what does it tell the visitor about the city?!? Maybe someone
>> could pull some strings and have that advertisement changed?
>>
>> Rudolf

Depends whether you have a self-centered POV, aka a Torontarian, or a
more open POV.

Regards,

Norm
+------------------------------------------------------------
| Never ask for permission, beg for forgiveness later
+------------------------------------------------------------

Steph Jacobs

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
I understand what you're saying, Bill. "Calgary's view of the world" should
be replaced with an objective report on the world. Whether Sammi's and the
lone haranguer's failure to get that from your message is attributable to a
lack of clarity on your part or a lack of vision on their part is not for me
to say - I just thought I'd clear it up for all.

And, incidentally, I agree with you - we shouldn't be boasting a bias.

At least the Herald is a little better at masking bias and sensationalism
than the Sun. :-)

Cheers,
Steph

"Bill W" <billi...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Rudolf Potucek" <pot...@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi gang!
> >
> > Yes, I am back from Toronto, the Center of the Universe and a distinctly

> > more cosmopolitan place than Calgary. And what is the FIRST thing I see

> > coming from the Airport? A Billboard ad by the Herald stating "Calgary's

> > view of the world". Now we all know that to be pathetically true ...
> > "World news? What is that?" But (a) that makes it terrible advertising

Sammi

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
I still don't get what the problem is (I may have missed a post of
yours I suppose).
Are you objecting to the Herald claiming to be representative of
Calgary's view? If so, then I respectfully suggest you are taking
advertising hype to seriously.
Are you objections to "Calgary's view" as being somewhat centric, as
in Calgary's interpretation of the world?

On Tue, 30 May 2000 04:21:35 -0600, "Steph Jacobs"
<steph...@nospam.hotmail.com> posted:

Rudolf Potucek

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Indeed I was commenting on the fact that the Herald IS ... err ...
*somewhat* ... Calgarycentric and the advertisement praises that as being
the good thing about Calgary/The Herald.

I don't mind living in a sleepy prairie/cowboy town, I am here by choice.
I do mind glorifiying redneckish narrowmindedness as a boon, though.

Sammi
(sammi_...@alt2600.com) wrote:
: I still don't get what the problem is (I may have missed a post of

Sammi

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Hmm, well I think you may be misinterpeting the ad.
I would read it as "the view from here" type thing. I mean, you're in
Calgary, viewing the world. I don't know if I can express the
distinction, I know what *you* mean.
Would not "Calgary's view ON the world" sound more like what you are
suggesting?
I've never been a big Herald fan anyhow. Though I imagine my lunch
bucket and thermos is still buried in one of their walls so one might
say a little bit of me is a little bit of the Herald ;-) A little joke
the boarders pulled when I was a drywall sander working on the new
Herald building.

On 31 May 2000 02:43:35 GMT, pot...@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca (Rudolf
Potucek) posted:

Steph Jacobs

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
I think we (the various contributors to this thread) were probably just
interpreting the phrase differently. :-)

Cheers,
Steph

"Sammi" <sammi_...@alt2600.com> wrote in message