Mayor Bronconnier: Meeting with the Calgary Food Policy Council

1111

May 20, 2009, 1:38:23 PM5/20/09
to calgary-food-...@googlegroups.com, calgary-urba...@googlegroups.com
Seven formal requests in Seven months and counting. Mayors from Toronto and Vancouver meet with their respective Food Policy Councils on a regular basis. They are funded, budget line item departments of those forward thinking cities.

Although the Mayor resists meeting with the CFPC, seven alderpeople have met with the CFPC and we are getting traction with those decision makers.

Paul Hughes

From: "Office of the Mayor" <TheM...@calgary.ca>
Date: May 20, 2009 10:48:49 AM MDT (CA)
To: "1111" <one...@netidea.com>
Subject: RE: Mayor Bronconnier: Meeting with the Calgary Food Policy Council

Dear Mr. Hughes,

Thank you for your e-mail to Mayor Bronconnier on April 30 requesting a meeting with The Mayor, and your follow up e-mail yesterday afternoon. I apologize for the lengthy delay in responding to your note - although we attempt to reply promptly, we have unfortunately fallen behind in our responses.

We very much appreciate you sending additional information on the Calgary Food Policy Council.   However, due to Mayor Bronconnier's very heavy schedule, we are not able to accommodate your request for a meeting at this time.

Once again, I apologize for the late response.

Best regards,

Leah Zilnik
Executive Assistant
Office of the Mayor, The City of Calgary
#8069 P.O. Box 2100 Stn. M.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2M5

403-268-5622 (phone)
403-268-8130 (fax)

For more news, sign up for Mayor Bronconnier's eNews at www.calgarymayor.ca

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and co-operation.

May 20, 2009, 2:46:37 PM5/20/09
to calgary-food-...@googlegroups.com, calgary-urba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul, and everyone,

I think this is a very important issue, which deserves immediate attention. The role the CFPC has to play in developing food security in Calgary is vital- and can only be achieved in collaboration with city hall.

I've sent an email to the Mayor's office, urging him to meet with the CFPC. I would appreciate very much if everyone here could take the time to do the same. I know that you all have busy schedules, but I also believe strongly that the 15 minute time investment is very worthwhile.  Here is the message I sent- you are absolutely welcome to simply enclose it in your email with a few words of support, if that is what best fits your schedule.

Dear Mayor Bronconnier,

I would first like to congratulate you. It most satisfying to see the City of Calgary taking its first steps to ensure greater food security on behalf of its citizens. Calgary, having been a "have" province for many years now, is in a unique position to set an example as a City that is not afraid of change. There is great economic and societal benefit to taking advantage of the "green" movement, and using it to strengthen our community.

It recently came to my attention that you have been unable to meet with the Calgary Food Policy Council, a volunteer group which represents the growing interest in Calgary for a stronger foundation of food security. In the past year, the interest in urban agriculture and local food systems has grown. You must be aware of the activity- as the City of Calgary recently approved four new community gardens. We all saw this as an encouraging sign that your office has taken an interest in the longevity of our communities and the stability of our food supply.

I would like to add my voice to what is sure to be a chorus as this movement continues to grow. Food security is important to the people of Calgary. The mayors of Toronto and Vancouver meet with their Food Policy Councils on a regular basis, because the development of a plan for greater health, wellness and security is integral to their roles. It would be most reassuring to see that you feel the same way.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,

Rachel Simpson
Student, and concerned citizen

I have not been especially involved in the work of the CFPC, but I do think that their organization is important, and I support the work they do.

Cheers,
Rachel

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:30 AM, S T <smit...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Mayor Bronconnier was able to meet with Condoleezza Rice on much shorter notice than what the CFPC gave him.

Do we have any mass murderers or torturers among us?
This might expedite our ability to meet with the mayor.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2009/05/13/n051401A.jpg

sumeet

From: one...@netidea.com
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:38:23 -0600
To: calgary-food-...@googlegroups.com; calgary-urba...@googlegroups.com

don

May 20, 2009, 2:53:36 PM5/20/09
to calgary-urba...@googlegroups.com
Will we be allowed to toss rotten tomatoes?

S T wrote:
> [...]
> 403-268-8130 (fax)
> _*For more news, sign up for Mayor Bronconnier's eNews at
> www.calgarymayor.ca <http://www.calgarymayor.ca/>*_
>

> *_NOTICE -_*
> This communication is intended *_ONLY_* for the use of the person
> or entity named above and may contain information that is
> confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
> recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering
> messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE
> HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this
> communication or any of the information contained in it is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
> error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy
> or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if
> requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention

EarthSOFFT

May 21, 2009, 4:06:08 PM5/21/09
to calgary-food-...@googlegroups.com, calgary-urba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rachel & CFPC/CUA,

This is an excellent response to our dilemma.

Although the first meeting with the mayor would be short, it is very symbolic. Creating an understanding with the top elected official in our community is certainly a worthwhile objective and it is also a gesture of deference to invite/include the mayor in the local food system/strategy conversation.

It is important to note the goals, visions & targets found in imagineCalgary are in direct contrast to the refusal by the mayor's office to meet with the CFPC. Issues of governance and access are clearly defined in this document and imagineCalgary is endorsed by the Mayor & Council.

From imagineCalgary, Governance System Targets, Equity, "By 2010, all public institutions and orgs implement sustainability principles (e.g. Melbourne Principles) in decision-making and reporting, using tools such as triple bottom line."

Also, from imagineCalgary, Governance System Targets, Access, "By 2016, 80% of Calgarians report that they feel government activity is open, honest, inclusive and responsive"

From these targets, I believe it is reasonable to assume the Mayor would meet briefly with a grassroots organization such as the Calgary Food Policy Council.

I echo Rachels's sentiments and also urge our respective memberships to send a short email to the mayor's office.

Again, the email for Mayor Bronconnier is  "Office of the Mayor" <TheM...@calgary.ca>

Paul Hughes
Chair, CFPC