Welcome to Orange Kounty

Joel Garry

Sep 21, 2002, 10:17:57 AM9/21/02
Choice: Sit in traffic for an extra 10-40 minutes per day, or submit to
an FBI background check, electronic fingerprinting, consent in advance to
vehicle checks with a signed statement that you will always have knowledge
of everything in your car, proof of employment or tax returns, birth
certificate, electronic monitoring of your car, two face-to-face interviews
during business hours and more...

In particular, check out the application itself:

http://www.borderpatrolpal.com

So how did I find that? I called the 888 number on a banner displayed at
the checkpoint. I'm asking about the details, like what hours PAL is
open. The agent says 5:30 AM to something, so I mention that I've driven
through every day around 7:30 and it seems like it has hardly ever been open,
and he says (drum roll please)...

"They've had some computer glitches."

You'd think it would be easier for a US citizen to commute from one county
in CA to another.

jg
--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to Oracle and unix guy.

D. Stussy

Sep 21, 2002, 7:33:20 PM9/21/02
On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Joel Garry wrote:
>Choice: Sit in traffic for an extra 10-40 minutes per day, or submit to
>an FBI background check, electronic fingerprinting, consent in advance to
>vehicle checks with a signed statement that you will always have knowledge
>of everything in your car, proof of employment or tax returns, birth
>certificate, electronic monitoring of your car, two face-to-face interviews
>during business hours and more...
>
>In particular, check out the application itself:
>
>http://www.borderpatrolpal.com
>
>So how did I find that? I called the 888 number on a banner displayed at
>the checkpoint. I'm asking about the details, like what hours PAL is
>open. The agent says 5:30 AM to something, so I mention that I've driven
>through every day around 7:30 and it seems like it has hardly ever been open,
>and he says (drum roll please)...
>
>"They've had some computer glitches."
>
>You'd think it would be easier for a US citizen to commute from one county
>in CA to another.

Orange "Kounty?" Are you saying that there is a new checkpoint?

The checkpoint on I-5 is in San Diego County and the one on I-15 is in Riverside
County (by one mile).

Joel Garry

Sep 22, 2002, 2:27:28 AM9/22/02

The vast majority of commuter traffic through the I-5 checkpoint is not going
to Basilone or Christianitos roads. But that title was really a poke
at the BP not doing interdiction at the actual US border, a joke at the
expense of Orange County. Also note, the BP office you have to go to is in OC.
OC is not a bastion of liberalism, needless to say, but someone has to clean
all those hotel toilets.

Jeff Bishop

Sep 22, 2002, 11:41:10 PM9/22/02
"D. Stussy" <kd6...@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote in message

> Orange "Kounty?" Are you saying that there is a new checkpoint?
>
> The checkpoint on I-5 is in San Diego County and the one on I-15 is in
Riverside
> County (by one mile).

Picky, picky. Maybe we should change the subject line to "welcome to the
northernmost 4.6 miles of San Diego County" just to keep the perfectionists
happy.

D. Stussy

Sep 23, 2002, 1:57:42 PM9/23/02

Response: If he doesn't state it accurately, how do we know that it hasn't been
moved or that there isn't a new one as opposed to being "misplaced?"

Joel Garry

Sep 25, 2002, 2:34:02 PM9/25/02

That's perfectly reasonable, except insofar as it shows lack of
understanding
of context and an inability to properly order the relative amount of
significance in a real-world situation.

In other words, if it was anyone else, I would be willing to concede a
lack of accuracy on my part, but M. Stussy would argue the glass is
neither half-full nor half-empty because the meniscus is not exactly
on the half mark, as if a glass is a measuring cup. As someone who
has commuted through the checkpoint off and on for 15+ years, it never
even occured to me someone would think that post would indicate the
checkpoint has moved.

When I was composing the original post, I considered making a Berlin
Wall analogy, but it was too far off on the eastern side. But there
is irony in that it is easier to leave San Diego County to get into
Mexico than into Orange County...

jg
--
@home is bogus.
"It is just extremely difficult for individuals to keep these matters

D. Stussy

Sep 25, 2002, 4:50:16 PM9/25/02

The last time I had personally passed through that checkpoint was 5 years ago.
Since you "misplaced" it in your original post, not having recently passed
through it, how is one to tell that it hasn't been moved? Alot of things have
changed in just the last year alone....

>When I was composing the original post, I considered making a Berlin
>Wall analogy, but it was too far off on the eastern side. But there
>is irony in that it is easier to leave San Diego County to get into
>Mexico than into Orange County...

Of course. We don't have emmigration laws; only immigration ones.