[c320-list] [C320-list] Help with what you can please

Paul

May 10, 2010, 12:44:50 AM5/10/10
to c320...@catalina320.com
I am a new owner of a Catalina 320 1995 Hull #286.I am starting to love the boat having been a Hunter owner BUT a couple problems I need help with please

1. The cabin lights I need to fix.Can anyone tell me who the original OOEM supplier was for a 1995 or what I can replace the present lights with that will fit the recessed apertures?

2. Can someone explain the 2 water tank thing. Where are the valves for each? How do I operate them and when?

3. Any tips on rebedding will be highly appreciated.

4. I need someone to explain how the fridge drains and what I need to do for that.

Anything that anyone wants to contribute (not money,just advice) would be a godsend.I have a previous owner who was remiss on any maintenance and I am trying to bring her back to life.
I am a former Hunter owner and find that the 320 is actually an awesome boat!!

Thanks

Pat Ireland

May 10, 2010, 1:08:32 AM5/10/10
to C320...@catalina320.com
Paul

Go to the Catalina 320 Association site and pull down the discussion list.
Several lines down is a link to search the list. You should find some of
your answers there. Several of our projects have gone much smoother after
the advice and suggestions from the group. Suggest you get a copy of the
manual if one did not come with the boat.

Recommend the Bomar hatch tape to rebed the hatches. There is a great
thread on bedding the chain plates and on LED lighting.. Check under the
Port side of the floor in the aft cabin for the water tank valves.
Different strategies on running them. Most drain the bow tank and then the
stern. There is a procedure for sanitizing them in the manual. The fridge
on some models drains through a y-valve in the head.

Hope you enjoy the new boat.
Pat, 801

Allan S. Field

May 10, 2010, 6:12:29 AM5/10/10
to C320...@catalina320.com
Paul - I have a scanned owner's manual that I will send separately (can't do
attachments on the list-serve). When Linda and I bought our C320, we were
looking at a Hunter. A friend told us we'd be happy with a Hunter for about
2 years but a Catalina for the rest of our lives! That was 8 years ago and
he was not wrong.

The water tank drains from forward to aft. You need to find the valves. On
our 2002 vintage, they are under the aft bunk, port side. But some folks
moved them to under the galley sink for easier access. But if you install a
tank monitoring system (see article on Association website), you never need
to mess with the valves again.

The fridge on our boat drains to the thru hull under the head sink. There
is a pump with a Y-valve that gets switched from shower sump to fridge sump.
There should be a switch in the head that activates the pump. But some of
the older C320's, I believe, drained to the bilge.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - C320
Columbia, MD

Jane & Ken

May 10, 2010, 9:14:23 AM5/10/10
to C320...@catalina320.com
Paul,
   Welcome to the family, you will enjoy your boat for years to come.  The 320 association is one of the most helpful on-line groups I have ever found and we even have a sense of humor from time to time--so watch out!  Annual dues are reasonable too.

   If your refrig drains into the bilge, as mine did, you might just want to plug the hole and leave the refrig run 24/7 as you do at home.  I defrost once every 2-3 months, depending on usage and just wet vac the small amount of water.  The plug keeps sugary spills out of the bilge also.

   If the previous owner slighted on maintanence, I would check the engine over first.  Do all things that need attention in order to provide years of service.

   Knowing where the boat is located will be helpful for other members  who experience the same conditions because a south Texas boat requires caution from heat and sun, but seldom from snow accumulation.

Ken,  OBUOY  #219

May 10, 2010, 10:15:51 PM5/10/10
to C320...@catalina320.com
Ken and Paul,

Are one of you in South Texas? If so where?

Larry
WindSwept C320 #246
Corpus Christi

Jane & Ken

May 10, 2010, 10:22:18 PM5/10/10
to C320...@catalina320.com
Larry,
   Our boat, OBUOY, is on lake texoma about one-half way between okla. city and dallas texas right on the border, behind the dam at denison texas.  It has been here since we bought it new.   Ken

djgle...@juno.com

May 11, 2010, 9:11:00 PM5/11/10
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@catalina320.com
Paul:

Welcome to the 320 list group. I may be able to help with a couple of
your questions. As Catalina has made changes in their production, it is
some times difficult to follow the threads, as your boat may be set up
differently from another one. It is always best to look for replys where
the hull number is close to yours. Having #150, we may be close.

1. I replaced the cabin lights with 12 Volt halogen lights I picked up
at a Home Depot. They fit in with out any difficulty. I think there was
a package of three that included a 110V to 12V transformer that was not
used. They were advertised as under cabinet lights.

2. We have two water tanks. I believe the reason for two is that it
allows better distribution of the weight. Protects your water supply
from contamination. If one tank turns bad, you have the other one to
work from. The valves for ours are under the galley sink. When you open
the door, they are side by side next to the sink drain line. When the
handle is in line with the water flow, they are open. When turned 90
degrees to the line, they are closed. We only work from one tank at a
time. That way when one is empty, we are alerted to the fact half of our
water is gone.

Hope this is helpful.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150

On Sun, 9 May 2010 23:44:50 -0500 "Paul" <pais...@aol.com> writes:
> I am a new owner of a Catalina 320 1995 Hull #286.I am starting to
> love the boat having been a Hunter owner BUT a couple problems I
> need help with please
>
> 1. The cabin lights I need to fix.Can anyone tell me who the
> original OOEM supplier was for a 1995 or what I can replace the
> present lights with that will fit the recessed apertures?
>
> 2. Can someone explain the 2 water tank thing. Where are the valves
> for each? How do I operate them and when?
>
> 3. Any tips on rebedding will be highly appreciated.
>
> 4. I need someone to explain how the fridge drains and what I need
> to do for that.
>
> Anything that anyone wants to contribute (not money,just advice)
> would be a godsend.I have a previous owner who was remiss on any
> maintenance and I am trying to bring her back to life.
> I am a former Hunter owner and find that the 320 is actually an
> awesome boat!!
>
> Thanks

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bea00726635842e119st03duc

djgle...@juno.com

May 11, 2010, 9:18:35 PM5/11/10
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@catalina320.com
Paul:

I forgot to address the fridge drain. On the early models, the fridge
drained into the bilge. On ours, I added a Y valve that attached to the
shower sump. I installed it in the aft cabin where the thru hull
fittings are located. To access the drain line, I had to pull up the
cabin sole where the steps are located. There is an access plate under
the sole that allows you to reach the fridge drain and also feed a new
line into the aft cabin thru hull compartment.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150

On Sun, 9 May 2010 23:44:50 -0500 "Paul" <pais...@aol.com> writes:
> I am a new owner of a Catalina 320 1995 Hull #286.I am starting to
> love the boat having been a Hunter owner BUT a couple problems I
> need help with please
>
> 1. The cabin lights I need to fix.Can anyone tell me who the
> original OOEM supplier was for a 1995 or what I can replace the
> present lights with that will fit the recessed apertures?
> bin
> 2. Can someone explain the 2 water tank thing. Where are the valves
> for each? How do I operate them and when?
>
> 3. Any tips on rebedding will be highly appreciated.
>
> 4. I need someone to explain how the fridge drains and what I need
> to do for that.
>
> Anything that anyone wants to contribute (not money,just advice)
> would be a godsend.I have a previous owner who was remiss on any
> maintenance and I am trying to bring her back to life.
> I am a former Hunter owner and find that the 320 is actually an
> awesome boat!!
>
> Thanks

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bea024e7c9ee426581st04duc