information

Vashishtha Jha

Feb 16, 2012, 10:06:12 AM2/16/12
to I I T, b v, kunal icon, Dr. Omnath Bimali, satyamurti, satyapal, Satyajit Layek, Mithilesh Chaturvedi, mita banerji, Konseng Baruah, reeta bhattacharya, CHANDAN BHATTACHARYYA, Chandan Chowdhury, mau desgupta, meera h r, shikha jha, Ratish Jha, msmhema murthy, shubhankari pati, pram...@sancharnet.in, rashmim...@gmail.com, mira rastogi, shridhar reddy, ambuja salgaokar, madhumita sen, satish kumar singh, rajeevaranjan sinha, ak tewari, varun tripathi, rp yadav
I am glad to inform you all that the centre of Advanced Stuy of Sanskrit, univeristy of pune, is going to offer a full course leading to the degree of MA in Translation : Theory and Practice from coming June.

It is complete Course which aims at providing details of  Theory and Application of Translation of our own traditions as well as of western traditions. This course will also introduce students in machine translation. Keeping the demand in view the course has been designed.

Duration : Two years ie. four semesters
Qualificatiion for admission; Graduation in any descipline including Science, Technical science, Information technology etc. etc.

The university of pune has already approved the course.

So if anybody is planning to develop a career in Translation from any language to any language and is interested in a university degree (MA) here is an opportunity. This will be the first Course of its kind where the learners are going to be acquainted with the contributions of India , both in Theory and Practice from original sanskrit sources in this area of human knowledge too.

For details one may be in touch with the Director of the CASS on the following e-mail id :

Prof. V. N. Jha,
Former Director,
Centre of Advanced Study in Sanskrit,
University of Pune,
Pune-411007.

Residence :
C-3, 402 Kunal Icon,
Pimple Saudagar,
Pune-411027 .
India.

Phone :  0091-20-27201458  0091-20-27201458 (R)
Mobile :  09890215441  09890215441

E-Mail : vnj...@yahoo.co.in
vnjha1946@gmail. com

shrinivasa varakhedi

Feb 16, 2012, 11:02:35 PM2/16/12
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, ujjwa...@yahoo.co.in, Vashishtha Jha
Dear Professor Jha ji,

It is indeed a great job the CASS has accomplished. This kind of novel course was required for Sanskrit students to get the jobs in market. I know sometimes the traditional scholars may argue that such courses might reduce the weight of research in Sanskrit and these are market driven courses with out any scope for research further. The similar questions were raised when we started NLP courses in Tirupathi, which was later entirely spoiled. However, I would like to support this with an argument that such courses will increase the strength of students and new horizon in the field of Sanskrit studies. I have no doubt about the success of such a course. I congratulate you and Prof. Ujjwala for designing this.

May i know the course details and contents of the course, so that we can pursue the interested students for taking this course.

regards,
shrivara

Prof. Shrinivasa Varakhedi
Dean and Director of State Sanskrit studies
Karnataka Sasnskrit University
Banagalore

09483501353

--
निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)

Vashishtha Jha

Feb 17, 2012, 9:15:39 AM2/17/12
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Varakhedi,
Thank you very much. I firmly believe that unless knowledge is applied,  its utility cannot be demonstrated beyond doubt. Our forefathers created knowledges for application. We need to identify the areas of their application today. Our centre has identified one such area where there is a great demand in various institutions, govenrnment departments, companies, social organisations, media, courts, foreign embassies, tourism, translation beauros of state governments, IT sectors and where not ?  Realising this the CASS has taken up this step.
Tranlating is communicating and sharing. In today's  age of globalisation this activity of translating has gained much more importance. This activity will also demonstrate in Indian multilingual context how sanskrit has kept on nurishing regional cultures at different levels through nurishing Indian languages. More serious we are in running this activity more positive results you will find.

We need to produce trained translators. Translating is not an easy joy, you know. Unless one is thorough in both, the source language and the target language, one cannot produce good translation. This course will , therefore,  compel the learner to master the structure of sanskrit on one hand and that of any other language in which or from which he wants to translate, on the other. Translating requires encyclopaedic knowledge on the part of a tranlator. This excercise will produce better scholars, I have no doubt in my mind.
 One need not take the remarks of the cracks and of those who are without any vision seriously. That is why you could contribute to the developement of machine translation activities.

In my opinion every unversity department of sanskrit should offer at least a cirtificate or deploma course in Tanslation : Theory and Application  and this course should be open to any graduate of any discipline. You too think of introducing this in your university.

You may be in touch with Prof. Mrs. Jha (ujjwa...@yahoo.co.in) . Now the pune univesity will print the syllabus and forms of admission to the MA course in Tanslation: Theory and Application and will make them available to the students.

With all best wishes and regards,

VNJha

[...]

 09483501353  09483501353

On 16-Feb-2012, at 8:36 PM, Vashishtha Jha wrote:

[...]

Mobile :   09890215441  09890215441   09890215441  09890215441

E-Mail : vnj...@yahoo.co.in
vnjha1946@gmail. com

--
निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)

V Subrahmanian

Feb 17, 2012, 10:45:11 AM2/17/12
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

2012/2/17 Vashishtha Jha <vnj...@yahoo.co.in>
Dear Dr. Varakhedi,

We need to produce trained translators. Translating is not an easy job, you know. Unless one is thorough in both, the source language and the target language, one cannot produce good translation.

I am reminded of my nephew's experience.  He, an employee of Infosys, Bangalore, was on a project deputation to Japan for a few months.  He said that since almost all the vyavahAra, even technical, is done in Japanese alone, there is a very important role for translators there.  Even while conversing with people in offices/marketplace, etc. to have a translator/interpreter is highly beneficial and sometimes a must. Expert translators who are well versed in Japanese and other languages like English are held in great  esteem and their salaries are very high.

So, any serious effort in the training and development of translators is indeed commendable, especially in the spoken arena.  Scholars who are capable of expressing technical matter (that is in vyakarana, nyaya, vedanta, kAvya, etc.) only in Sanskrit can happily be invited to give discourses/presentations in non-sanskrit knowing states/countries/universities/institutions and there the role of translators is immensely great.  I remember an event of yester-years.  Shri L.K.Advani had been invited to address a gathering in Kalady (birth place of Adi Shankara), Kerala in the 1980's.  Even as he was delivering the talk in English, a local person neatly rendered it into Malayalam, much to the joy and appreciation of the majority people assembled there.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v