Welcoming 01-01-2012 Seasons Greetings - Unique features of Vedic Hindu Culture

Venkatakrishna Sastry

Dec 30, 2011, 4:44:19 PM12/30/11
to sastr...@gmail.com

Namaste

Seasons Greetings on the Onset of  the Time roll out reckoned as 01-01-2012 , the New Year in the business Calendar.

Some points to ponder, resonating the ideas from Vedic Traditions  in the quiet moments as the year 2011 rolls out: What is Unique of Hindu Dharmic Traidtions in celebrating TIME  ROLL OUTS?

1.   Hindus call New year as ' Samavatsara Cycle'. The celebration is of the cyclicity of  cosmic events like Sun, Moon, Jupiter returning to original starting position after one full cylce - 'Poornam'. This is a unique feature, where TIME is freed from taxonomy linked to a Faith, much less the Faith -event celebration set by any King !

Samavatsara is a different paradigm of CYCLIC Rolling of TIME ( -kaala -chakra)  different from linear distancing away from an arbitrary reference ! One can and does return back in TIME to the starting point in a cyclic motion; This is not  possible in a linear move, unless line becomes a circle !

2.   Time flow reckoning  in Hindu Calendar is called 'Panchangam' :  Time reckoning in relation to Sun-Moon-Stars relative position to the geo centric local condition. The five units are called Vaara, Tithi, Nakshatra, yoga, karana. This is a unique feature, where TIME is freed from taxonomy linked to an arbitraty reference like Greenwich  set by any Nation marking itself as the central axis of the cosmos !  The Sun-Moon-Stars are the eyes and light (Jyoti)  of the Supreme Divine.

3.   Divinity of Time is reckoned and acknowledged in 'Sankalpa' - the narration of time-space coordinates in any event. The auspicious moment is called ' Muhurta'. This concept of TIME-SPACE Divinity is unique to Hindus following Dharma.

The pole star idea of  all traditions  under the umbrella of Dharma is Transcending the Binding -Bonds of TIME-SPACE; yet enjoy evry moment and day in the TIME-FLOW as the journey with DIVINE. The celebration of 01-01-2012  is one of such celebrations out of the 365 days of celebration marked in Panchangam !

--

Regards

Dr. B V Venkatakrishna Sastry
(G-Mail)

--

Regards

Dr. B V Venkatakrishna Sastry
(G-Mail)

S.R.Krishnamurthy

Dec 30, 2011, 6:31:40 PM12/30/11
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear BVK.

Namaste. Normally I do not take cognisance of 1st January at all. I fully concur with what you have said.

Yet I may add that according to the 'Christian' mythology, the month was named Januuary after Janus, who was two-headed; hence considered a cunning monster. There is reference to him in one of the Shakespearanean plays; I do not recall immediately which it is.

Regards.
srk.

--
अथ चेत्त्वमिमं धर्म्यं संग्रामं न करिष्यसि।
ततः स्वधर्मं कीर्तिं च हित्वा पापमवाप्स्यसि।।

Upendra Rao

Dec 31, 2011, 1:30:33 PM12/31/11
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Navavarshe bhavatu sarva-mangalam,

sarvaaschintaah parityajya svakaarye dattabuddhayah,
nava-varshe yathaashakti kaaryam kurmah sukhaavaham.

सर्वा: चिन्ताः परित्यज्य स्वकार्ये दत्तबुद्धयः ।
नव-वर्षे यथाशक्ति कार्यं कुर्मः सुखावहम ।।

Dr.C. UPENDER RAO
SENIOR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR,
CENTRE FOR SANSKRIT STUDIES
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU UNIVERSITY,