Re: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Pandav Geeta Shloka

Shrivathsa B

Jun 14, 2013, 2:59:39 AM6/14/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, nmi...@gmail.com, shanka...@yahoo.com
हरिः ॐ,

चतुर्भिश्च = ओ श्रावय / आ श्रावय (अध्वर्युः आग्नीध्रम्) : adhvaryu asks Agniidhra if it is alright to start the yajana.
चतुर्भिश्च = अस्तु श्रौषट्  (आग्नीध्रः अध्वर्युम्): Agniidhra gives the go ahead (astu) with shrauShAT (shrauShaT kills rAkShasas)
द्वाभ्याम् = यज  (अध्वर्युः होतरम्): adhvaryu orders the hotA to pronounce the shastra (r^ik mantra) for the particular deity.
पञ्चभिः = ये यजामहे (होता अध्वर्युम्): Hota says "we will do yajana".
द्वाभ्याम् = वौषट् (होता) : at the end of the shastra, hotA pronounces vauShaT after this, the adhvaryu gives AhutiH.

   The meaning of the shloka is that viShNu, who is invited thus using the above 17 syllables, may he protect us.

   for anything to be called as yaj~na, the above 17 syllables need to be pronounced. yaj~no vai viShNuH.

   Now a days, unfortunately, people use the word "yaj~na" very loosely. An impression is sought to be created that if Ahutis are given in a large homakuNDa, it is a yaj~na, else it is a homa / havana.

स्वस्ति,
              जय भवानी भारती,
                                              श्रीवत्सः

2013/6/14 shankara <shanka...@yahoo.com>
Namaste,

It is more likely that this sloka is part of 'Anusmriti'. In the beginning of this discussion, Ashish Sharma clearly mentions that this sloka is from Anusmriti. I wonder how 'pandava geeta' entered in the name of this thread.

Anusmriti available online at the following blog contains the sloka beginning with 'samigarbhascha'.
http://prramamurthy1931.blogspot.in/2012/04/anusmriti-anumriti-is-considered-asone.html

Gita Press edition of Mahabharata has Anusmriti in chapter 209 in Santi Parva - Page 4958. It can be read online at
http://archive.org/details/mahabharat05ramauoft
But, I could not find this particular sloka (beginning with Samigarbhascha) in that chapter, though there are a few slokas ending with 'sa me vishnu prasidatu' in Narada's stuti which follows anusmriti. Giving below one such verse which needs scholarly interpretation.

चतुर्भिश्च चतुर्भिश्च द्वाभ्यां पञ्चभिरेव च।
हूयते च पुनर्द्वाभ्यां स मे विष्णुः प्रसिदतु॥

Mahabharata based on south Indian texts, contains Anusmriti in chapter 210, Santi Parva, page 335. The sloka beginning with 'samigarbhascha...' is not found there. Chitrasala edition of Mahabharata also has a chapter on anusmriti (chapter 209), but this sloka is absent there too.

regards
shankara

Jun 14, 2013, 4:18:14 AM6/14/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, nmi...@gmail.com, shanka...@yahoo.com
Dear All
I have read chaturbhisch shloa in mahabharata of Geetapress, Gorakhpur and its not only in Anugeeta but its given in other parvas of Mahabharata. If i correctly remember then it was repeted 4-5 times in the Mahabharata.

Regards

Ashish
This conversation is locked