The elevator pitch for Linked data

Eric Hellman

Dec 3, 2009, 10:18:45 AM12/3/09
to Business Of Linked Data (BOLD)
An excellent idea to have this list.

Introduction: I'm Eric Hellman. I got excited about RDF 10 years ago,
but when I tried to write code, I got frustrated and ended up using
only its ideas as I built a linking technology/data company. After
selling that business to and working for OCLC for three years, I've
been learning and writing for 9 months as I reenter and reconsider
semantic web technology. I will be writing about Gluejar Inc, very
soon.

Yesterday I wrote a post about how database business are service
businesses, and I talked about the need for an elevator pitch for
Linked Data. Here's what I've come up with:

"Linked Data is the idea that the merger of a database produced
by one provider and another database produced by a second provider has
value much larger than that of the two separate databases."

or, in a more concise form, V(DB1+DB2)>>V(DB1)+V(DB2).

http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2009/12/databases-are-services-not-content.html

Thoughts?

Daniel Koller

Dec 3, 2009, 10:31:53 AM12/3/09
to Business Of Linked Data (BOLD)
...you might
- talk about "any kind of (enterprise) content" instead of databases
(perhaps databases just limits the thinking), and
- add the perspective that you can enrich existing content with
information from somewhere else (e.g. from the internet).

A very good summary,

Kind regards,

Daniel
> http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2009/12/databases-are-services-not-...
>
> Thoughts?

Kingsley Idehen

Dec 3, 2009, 10:50:53 AM12/3/09
to business-of-li...@googlegroups.com
Welcome!

Like the pitch :-)

How about this?

What is it?
Linked Data is about adding granularity to the existing LINK mechanism
delivered by HTTP

Why is it important?
It takes you beyond linking to pages that are loosely associated with
People, Places, and other Things; by allowing you to use the same link
mechanism to: 1. explicitly identify and explore people, places, and
other things
2. explore relationships that exists across people, places, and other
things.

Specific Web Importance?
Additional link granularity enables better discovery of relevant things
on the Web. I can use links to describe what I want and/or what I have
to offer. If everyone does this, HTTP simply takes care of the REST
i.e., serendipitous discovery of relevant things.

Specific Enterprise Importance?
Additional link granularity enables better discovery critical
relationships across key entities that define my conceptual enterprise
architecture (customers, orders, employees, departments, suppliers,
products etc.). A single link provides you and others within the
enterprise with an holistic view of critical success factor data,
relative to your particular context lenses. The complex task of data
context switching, relative to data beholder simply comes down to HTTP
and REST.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen