New Release (20090524)

tkdave

May 25, 2009, 2:57:15 AM5/25/09
to bumpslide
Happy 3-day weekend, Americans. Here's some stuff to play with...

New MVC App Template
http://bumpslide.googlecode.com/files/bumpslide_apptemplate_mvc_20090524.zip

This one is pretty barebones (http://library.bumpslide.com/examples/
app_template_mvc/bin/), but it does the job. The main FLA is
absolutely empty, so this can be compiled from Flash or with the Flex
compiler. the main difference here is that we have startup logic and
service loading inside of commands instead of in the Service class.
You could also call this 'Cairngorm for Flash', but this does not
include any formal implementation of Business Delegates or Service
Locator. The FrontController and aspects of the CommandEvent class
are heavily inspired by Cairngorm and the UM Cairngorm Extensions.

Updated Original App Template
http://bumpslide.googlecode.com/files/bumpslide_apptemplate_orig_20090524.zip

I've also updated the original app template to use the new
RequestQueue and RPC framework inside the Service class, and I've
added more documentation and tried to clean it up a bit.

Of course, there's also a new source distribution as well. Test it
out, and let me know what you think. I've got the issue tracker set
to actually notify me now when new issues are posted.
http://code.google.com/p/bumpslide/issues/list

Thanks for listening.

-david knape

Wayne Fidler

May 25, 2009, 3:19:05 AM5/25/09
to bump...@googlegroups.com
thank you, your timing is impeccable. I'm starting a new project
tomorrow. can't wait to dig in with the new template...

wayne

----
sent from my iPhone
----
Wayne Fidler
Media Mongrel
971.404.9175
http://www.moonpatrol.com
----

freemind

May 25, 2009, 4:43:00 AM5/25/09
to bumpslide
thank you so much david!
it is really good to see it evolve and it is really cool to know you
are listening to those asking for an updated app template :)

rock on!
henrik

On May 25, 9:19 am, Wayne Fidler <wa...@moonpatrol.com> wrote:
> thank you, your timing is impeccable. I'm starting a new project
> tomorrow. can't wait to dig in with the new template...
>
> wayne
>
> ----
> sent from my iPhone
> ----
> Wayne Fidler
> Media Mongrel
> 971.404.9175http://www.moonpatrol.com
> ----
>
> On May 24, 2009, at 11:57 PM, tkdave <tkd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Happy 3-day weekend, Americans.  Here's some stuff to play with...
>
> > New MVC App Template
> >http://bumpslide.googlecode.com/files/bumpslide_apptemplate_mvc_20090...
>
> > This one is pretty barebones (http://library.bumpslide.com/examples/
> > app_template_mvc/bin/), but it does the job.  The main FLA is
> > absolutely empty, so this can be compiled from Flash or with the Flex
> > compiler.  the main difference here is that we have startup logic and
> > service loading inside of commands instead of in the Service class.
> > You could also call this 'Cairngorm for Flash', but this does not
> > include any formal implementation of Business Delegates or Service
> > Locator.  The FrontController and aspects of the  CommandEvent class
> > are heavily inspired by Cairngorm and the UM Cairngorm Extensions.
>
> > Updated Original App Template
> >http://bumpslide.googlecode.com/files/bumpslide_apptemplate_orig_2009...

Michael Richardson

May 26, 2009, 7:36:47 PM5/26/09
to bump...@googlegroups.com

Hi David

Newbie alert!

This looks interesting. I'm looking forward to trying to
unravel / ravel this new version.

Buuuut... I can't even open the "main.fla" file in my Flash CS3...
Do I need to upgrade to CS4? Is this "Flash 10" ?  When I
create a new FLA and have "myapp.AppRoot" as the document
class, that doesn't seem to fly either... Pardon the low level
of comprehension here.

So far it looks like catacombs to me, but I have tremendous
faith that these many abstract layers have goodness.

Cheers,
Michael

David Knape

May 26, 2009, 8:01:36 PM5/26/09
to bump...@googlegroups.com
oops, I thought I made those all CS3 fla files. I'm not using
anything strictly player 10.

But, the FLA is empty, just set the document class to myapp.AppRoot,
and add an entry to your classpath that points to the classes folder.

./classes/

The classpath is probably what you're missing, Michael.

-dk

--
David Knape
Programmer / Consultant

Wayne Fidler

May 27, 2009, 4:16:03 PM5/27/09
to bump...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I'm looking at using your LoaderQueue class for loading my images. The
only event I see is for when the queue is complete, nothing for
progress or updates. Am I missing something or do I need to subclass
and add that stuff in?

Incidentally, I'm also going to add a preload marker, that will
dispatch an event when the queue reaches a certain point. This is so I
can preload thumbnails, then display my site while the larger images
continue to load. Any thoughts or advice on this is most welcome.

Thanks!
Wayne

----------------------------- - - - - - - - - - -
wayne fidler, media mongrel
971.404.9175
http://www.moonpatrol.com
----------------------------- - - - - - - - - - -

David Knape

May 27, 2009, 4:25:59 PM5/27/09
to bump...@googlegroups.com
The LoaderQueue is passed in a reference to a loader instance every
time you load something. Just add your progress event listeners to
that loader before you pass it in.

For an example, see the ui.Image class which uses the LoaderQueue
automatically behind the scenes and dispatches custom progress events.

For your thumbnails issue, I would just enqueue all the thumbnails,
and on the complete event, show the site and then enqueue the other
images.

-dk

--
David Knape