Fw: Nightline Tonight Mon., March 14, 2005

Tersch

Mar 16, 2005, 6:55:05 PM3/16/05
to BULL YARD, Cindy Sheehan, Ed Skeeter, Jerry Wall, John Hibbs, Joni/Jack Woolf-Steppe, Kur...@netscape.net, Mike Shea, Nick Governale, S Phillip Brown, Sharon Thomas nee Costello, Vince Aggeler

----- Original Message -----
From: Nightline
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:49 AM
Subject: Nightline Tonight Mon., March 14, 2005

The 1st Cavalry: the Brotherhood in Iraq, the Sisterhood in Texas

March 14, 2005

Many of the troops currently in Iraq joined the military during what President Clinton called the "longest peacetime expansion in history." The military offered job security and education, and there was no sign of war on the horizon. After Sept. 11, 2001, everything changed, and these young men and women were faced with deployment and a war they probably didn't expect. How do the soldiers cope with the stresses of combat, and how do their families fare at home? Tonight, an unusual look at the war's effect on the family.

In August, ABC's National Security Correspondent Martha Raddatz shared with us the story of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, part of the 1st Cavalry Division. Her story documented the heavy fighting in Sadr City and Najaf, telling the story of the soldiers through their own words, their faces, their eyes. The members of the regiment have just returned from Iraq -- the homecomings of course filled with joy and love. But this happiness stems from a year of worry and torment both for the soldiers and their families left behind.

This time last year, when the soldiers left for Iraq, family members were comforted with the news that the soldiers were headed for Sadr City, a place that had seen, up until then, few casualties and little combat. But their comfort did not last. Leann, the wife of the battalion commander Gary Volesky, recalls, "We thought it was going to be a rebuilding, reconstruction mission for our guys. And it was nothing like that. Fifteen minutes after Gary took command, it was combat for 80 straight days." Indeed, the 1st Cavalry Division, as a whole, lost more than 165 men and women, more than 1 percent of the total losses in Iraq. One hundred others endured severe injuries, such as a loss of a limb, and more than 1,500 were wounded. In fact, few, if any, divisions in Iraq suffered more casualties than the 1st Cavalry.

The effect of such horrific combat on a servicemember and his or her family is often overlooked. But studies show that 1 in 6 servicemembers return from Iraq with severe depression or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. And the effect on the family members is often just as daunting. Tonight we'll revisit the troops of the 1st Cavalry Division. We'll listen as they look back on their year in Iraq, and how it feels to return home. And we'll get the perspective of the wives of the soldiers, as they recount what they call a "sisterhood," and how they kept each other happy during a tough year.

We hope you'll join us.

Lee Culp & the "Nightline" Staff
ABC News Washington Bureau

John Hibbs

Mar 17, 2005, 10:02:56 AM3/17/05
to SCIN...@aol.com, ter...@mweb.co.th, bull...@googlegroups.com, ske...@ksc.th.com, jw...@cox.net, steppe...@msn.com, Kur...@netscape.net, ms...@loxinfo.co.th, TQM...@aol.com, zpb...@cox.net, shari...@hotmail.com, vi...@netium.com.br

Cindy, thank you very, very much for sharing. I lost a son 15 years
ago and it still causes pain. And his loss was an accident whereas
yours was due to criminal offenses in the White House, Pentagon and
State Department. Bush, Cheney, Rummy, Condi and even Powell should
be spending about twenty years making small rocks out of big ones. Or
maybe, like the war criminals they are, they should just be hung?
At 10:41 PM -0500 3/16/05, SCIN...@aol.com wrote:
>That was my son's unit. He was killed on that day 04/04/04. Here is
>a letter that I wrote to NightLine about the broadcast:
>Love
>Cindy Sheehan
>
>March 15, 2005
>
>To Whom it May Concern:
>
>Imagine my distress when I turned Night Line on last night and I was
>confronted with the gory details of my son's murder in Sadr City,
>Baghdad, Iraq on 04/04/04. Imagine, also, my sorrow and rage at the
>side of the story that you presented to the American public.
>
>I was on the Night Line Townhall Meeting in Washington, DC on
>01/27/05. After I spoke (which I think was a fluke), Ted Koppel
>dismissed me as being "emotional." First of all, how can I approach
>this discussion without emotions, MY SON WAS KILLED, AND KILLED FOR
>LIES? Second of all, that show was not fair and balanced and I think
>the conclusion "Should we stay" was foregone.
>
>The show last night was also not fair and balanced. To see all the
>wives being interviewed who had not lost their husbands and to hear
>what "hard work" it is to be left behind when their husbands are at
>war. How hard to you think it is to have a child killed in an
>illegal and immoral war? In this "wonderful" group of families left
>behind, we had exactly ONE of the wives call us..she is Diane Rose
>who was my son's Colonel, Frank Rose's wife. The last time we heard
>from Diane was in October and we feel we have been left behind by
>anyone connected to the 2-5 Cavalry. Is support only given if your
>loved one stays alive? One wife was quoted as saying that Sundays
>were the hardest for the families left behind. My son was killed on
>Palm Sunday last year..how does anybody think Sundays are for my
>family?
>
>A distraught father who lost his son was shown telling how much his
>life was so adversely affected. Why wasn't a mother (like me) who
>has been an outspoken critic of this war and of the President's
>policies interviewed for this piece? Why wasn't I given a chance to
>talk about 04/04/04 and the series of lies, mistakes and
>miscalculations that led to my precious oldest child's death??
>
>General Chiarelli was quoted as saying that 04/04/04 was a "wake up"
>call to the 2-5 Cavalry. If he thinks it was a "wake up" call, let
>me tell you how having 3 Army officers come to my door on 04/04/04
>and tell me that my darling son was KIA. I have learned so many
>details of that day and of my son's experience in Iraq.
>
>The very first thing that went wrong happened in November at Ft
>Irwin, California...the 2-5 Cavalry went for desert training. They
>received open desert warfare training and my son was killed in an
>urban guerilla attack, which he hadn't been trained for. Also, he
>was wearing an inadequate helmet and a Vietnam era flak jacket.
>Casey was stationed in a very dangerous place, like the General
>said: FOB War Eagle. I have subsequently learned that the soldiers
> [...]

Tersch

Mar 18, 2005, 7:33:26 PM3/18/05
to Cindy Sheehan, bull...@googlegroups.com, Ed Skeeter, Jerry Wall, John Hibbs, steppe...@msn.com, Kur...@netscape.net, Mike Shea, TQM...@aol.com, S Phillip Brown, Sharon Thomas nee Costello, Vince Aggeler
Cindy,

Skeeter asked me to send our your letter to Nightline.  I did already and believe you got a copy, as below.  I added your name to the bull yard list, along with Judge P on the stuff I send out.  John Hibbs wrote how to sign up for bullyard even without ever sending it  anything.  He is back and may write you again.  I notice he wrote you with great sympathy.  He, along with you and about three others in the Band, I would really love to meet personally.  I, like Skeeter who sends me about 10 emails (mostly cartoons) may be sending TOO much, as I think I tend to do.

Keep up your good efforts, and have a good weekend.  I hope to learn more about you: where you live, your family, work etc.  Time will tell.

Tony