Greeting From SudaneseGuardian & Intro to Wa3i for Change

1 view

Venessa Miemis

Jun 14, 2011, 11:35:55 PM6/14/11
to The Next Net
via liberationtech, sudanese...@gmail.com

Dear All,

hi and how are you all, i hope this letter finds you all in good
health and happiness, i am SG who blogs at http://sudaneseguardian.blogspot.com/,
it is nice to get to be part of this Mail list and i am learning a lot
from it. in this email i would like to introduce to you about my
latest project for Sudan. as a Sudanese, i feel that it is important
for me to start a project that promote Social Justice and Good
Governance and hence i was looking for a way other then blogging at
http://sudaneseguardian.blogspot.com and tweeting about Sudan at
@SudanGuardian , I thought that my next project should be with the
help of Ushahidi great tool of where i want to create a new project
that track corruption and embezzlement. knowing that Sudan is listed
among Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions index for
2010 as 172 out of 176. one of the world most corrupted nation and i
feel that if we Sudanese don’t stand up against corruption and
embezzlement in our own country then i believe no one would do so.
Hence wa3i was born, the site is at http://wa3i.crowdmap.com/ hosted
by crowd-sourcing map and using ushahidi as all of you know a
wonderful program programmed by wonderful and talented people of
Ushahidi. It was not long ago that I start this small project and it
is still in the development stage. As all of you know Ushahidi is
wonderful and make it very easy to program Ushahidi crowd-sourcing
map and I thank them a lot for that, my main work was done on the
categorization of corruption and embezzlement, I wanted to make it a
simple as possible and as easy to understand as possible. I am sure a
lot of you might have had some experience making crowd-sourcing map or
are doing project that are similar to this one, If you are working on
similar project to this one and want to work together or can suggest
advice to improve this map please feel free to suggest ways to improve
it and I would be grateful for you advice. especially i am having hard
time working categorization of corruption in a simple way for everyone
to understand. Here is some basic information about the project

Name: Wa3i For Change - واعي لاجل التغير
Theme: Spreading Awareness One Click at a time
Introduction:
Welcome to Wa3i for Change
There is an ancient Chinese proverb that says “It's better to light a
candle then to curse the darkness.” As Sudanese we all hold the right
to pinpoint the wrong doing that is happening in the Sudan, we must be
at the forefront stage of fighting corruption and embezzlement. As you
might have known or heard from the news or read on published articles,
Sudan is ranking among the world most corrupted Nation on earth. The
ranking for Sudan according to the Transparency International’s
Corruption Perceptions index for 2010 is 172 out of 176, joining other
worst state in the ranking index such as Somalia, Myanmar and
Afghanistan. Hence the need for the Sudanese people to pinpoint
corruption in the Sudan is of the out most importance. Through this
website you can voice your opinion, thoughts or issues that affect us
all who are part of the Sudan. If you have a website that talk about
corruption in Sudan please share it here, if you have experienced
corruption at first hand tell us about your experience or even ways to
fight corruptions. I would like to point out one important point and
that is, this ushahidi map is for all of us so if you see there is a
need for introducing a new category please feel free to suggest it and
I would add it right away. Wish you all the best and looking forward
to reading your comment, links or experience.

Wish you all the best on your research and studies
Thank you for reading this email
Best regards
SG

Mark Roest

Jun 16, 2011, 10:50:02 PM6/16/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Hello Venessa,

I have three suggestions for you, two based on human nature, and one based on nature.

1. To give people something positive to think about, to look forward to, and to compare with the bad options offered to them by misguided people, wouldn't it be nice to program a Celebrating Good Works, Altruism and Compassion Ushahidi?

2. And you might possibly be able to get Stanford School of Medicine's CCARE program (in partnership with His Holiness the Dalai Lama) to share their curriculum for empowering people to generate Altruism and Compassion in their lives. You would probably work with them to figure out how to deliver the curriculum in the circumstances of most Sudanese villages (they might be able to access funding for mesh networking cellphones and wi-fi to reach villages that do not now have computers or internet access -- or at least for a computer and some CD-ROMs with the course and other valuable information (see below) for each village).

3. You might encourage the students, professionals, healers, and successful gardeners and other skilled people to use the techniques used to deliver CCARE to deliver their knowledge, and also set up ways for digitally recording deep storytelling by the people of their experiences in life, and of what their ancestors have taught them (those who they knew in this life, and those who have long been on the other side). The good people at Ushahidi, or people they know, and people in Sudan who have an affinity for computing and programming can probably get together and figure out more ways to document and share this, and I would like to seek help to coordinate it from this end (I'm too busy in related work already to do it myself), to get more people and resources involved. Meanwhile, it will be best if the design of the information organizing is based first on the various ecosystems in Sudan, and the cultures that are (or were) based in them, because that automatically sorts knowledge by what places it applies to. Makes life much easier and more productive!

If  you get a start on organizing this, please let me know. You can check out DesignEarth.net and DesignFluence.org to get a more detailed sense of where I'm coming from. I am also in a start-up company that will source and market proven green tech and clean tech solutions, and the first product improves refrigeration efficiency by at least 25%.

Regards,

Mark Roest

Venessa Miemis

Jun 17, 2011, 12:42:19 PM6/17/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

You addressed your response to me, so I wasn't sure if you misread the post. I crossposted it from the liberationtech mailing list. The person who wrote it is at this address - sudanese...@gmail.com. I don't know if they are looking at our google group, so perhaps you'd like to email your response to them.

- Venessa