Contact Summit Related Projects Seeking Funding

Suresh Fernando

Aug 9, 2011, 1:44:23 PM8/9/11
to contac...@googlegroups.com, building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, openk...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

Further to my email yesterday relating sponsorship for Contact, I am interested in exploring creative new ways to engage funding sources. Since the larger objective of CONTACT is to bring about a better world and many of us are working on projects that are aligned with this, I want to explore funding strategies that align the interests of CONTACT, smaller projects and funding sources.

How exactly this might work is not clear to me but since I have started to reach out to funding sources, it makes sense for me to get a better sense of the projects that we are working on that require capital.

Also, as many of you may know, there is an interesting discussion shaping up in the Next Edge Facebook Group in which I have just started a document to track Contact Projects Seeking Funding. Please fill in the details if you are planning on attending Contact, are a part of an early stage project seeking funding, and are interested in exploring creative funding strategies related to Contact.

We all need to be creative and collaborative in our efforts to bring about a better world!

Let me know if you have any comments or questions!

Regards,

--
Suresh Fernando
BLOG, YOUTUBE, OK WEBSITE, OK FAN PAGE, OK GROUP, OK-WE, PHILOSOPHY,  TWITTER,  FACEBOOK, WOTW FAN PAGE LINKEDIN, SLIDESHARE

-------ProM: Climate Change Project Matching System------
Project Description: http://cotw.cc/wiki/Project_Matching
To Join: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/cc-pms
Workstreams: http://cotw.cc/wiki/CC-PMS_etherpad_index

Samuel Rose

Aug 9, 2011, 11:06:59 PM8/9/11
to contac...@googlegroups.com, building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, openk...@googlegroups.com, james burke, Michel Bauwens, Chris Pinchen
Along with James Burke, Chris Pinchen, Michel Bauwens and others,
we're seeking funding for http://chokepointproject.net/

Chokepoint has won Ars Technica award so far, but can definitely use
more help in meeting the scope of ambition.

Sam Rose
Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
email: samue...@gmail.com
http://hollymeadcapital.com
http://p2pfoundation.net
http://futureforwardinstitute.com
http://socialmediaclassroom.com

ambition." - Carl Sagan

Suresh Fernando

Aug 10, 2011, 2:20:24 PM8/10/11
to contac...@googlegroups.com, building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, openk...@googlegroups.com, james burke, Michel Bauwens, Chris Pinchen
Sam et al,

Thanks for the follow up. I have modified the CONTACT projects page to include those that are looking for funding. It seems that the Next Edge Group was set up as 'private' so it's not the ideal spot to track things. Some stuff can be tracked in Next Edge, but this might be the better space...http://p2pfoundation.net/List_of_ContactCon_Related_Projects

Would it be possible to update this page?

Thanks,

Suresh

rushkoff

Aug 11, 2011, 8:22:29 AM8/11/11
to The Next Net
What would also be great would be if you could convince some of the
projects who have listed on the Wiki to actually participate in the
Contact Bazaar, and make themselves available for the $10,000 awards.
Anyone coming to Contact is entitled to have a demo station at the
Bazaar to show or explain their project. If they choose, they can also
enter the Bazaar competition simply by checking a YES box on the
Bazaar form on the Contact site.

So far there are less than a dozen entries - which is fine, of course.
But if there are projects looking for funding and attention, this
could be a great opportunity. And if they are already coming to
Contact, why not take advantage of the Bazaar?

It sounds like you are working on other ways to connect projects with
sponsors, and to bring sponsors to the event. If you need a space or
way to help foster those connections, let me know.

On Aug 10, 2:20 pm, Suresh Fernando <suresh2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam et al,
>
> Thanks for the follow up. I have modified the CONTACT projects page to
> include those that are looking for funding. It seems that the Next Edge
> Group was set up as 'private' so it's not the ideal spot to track things.
> Some stuff can be tracked in Next Edge, but this might be the better
> space...http://p2pfoundation.net/List_of_ContactCon_Related_Projects
>
> Would it be possible to update this page?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Suresh
>

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Samuel Rose <samuel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Along with James Burke, Chris Pinchen, Michel Bauwens and others,
> > we're seeking funding forhttp://chokepointproject.net/
>
> > Chokepoint has won Ars Technica award so far, but can definitely use
> > more help in meeting the scope of ambition.
>
> > On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Suresh Fernando <suresh2...@gmail.com>
> > email: samuel.r...@gmail.com
> >http://hollymeadcapital.com
> >http://p2pfoundation.net
> >http://futureforwardinstitute.com
> >http://socialmediaclassroom.com
>
> > "The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human
> > ambition." - Carl Sagan
>
> --
> *Suresh Fernando *
> BLOG <http://sureshf.posterous.com/>,
> YOUTUBE<http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum>,
> OK WEBSITE, <http://openkollab.com>OK FAN
> PAG<http://www.facebook.com/aprilrinne#%21/openkollab>
> E <http://goog_1610308617>, OK GROUP<http://groups.google.ca/group/openkollab>,
> OK-WE <http://www.wiserearth.org/group/openkollab>, PHILOSOPHY,
> <http://sureshfernando.wordpress.com>
> TWITTER,  <http://twitter.com/sureshf> FACEBOOK,
> <http://facebook.com/suresh.fernando>WOTW FAN
> PAGE<http://www.facebook.com/tedxvancouver?v=wall#%21/pages/The-Way-Of-The...>
> LINKEDIN<http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=412718&authType=name&authToke...>,
> SLIDESHARE <http://www.slideshare.net/sureshf>
> *
> *-------*ProM: Climate Change Project Matching System------*
> Project Description:http://cotw.cc/wiki/Project_Matching
> To Join:* *https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/cc-pms*
> *Workstreams:http://cotw.cc/wiki/CC-PMS_etherpad_index

Samuel Rose

Aug 11, 2011, 9:54:07 AM8/11/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:22 AM, rushkoff <rush...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What would also be great would be if you could convince some of the
> projects who have listed on the Wiki to actually participate in the
> Contact Bazaar, and make themselves available for the $10,000 awards.

http://chokepointproject.net/ is definitely doing both. I just need to
confer with the CP participants, because I think James Burke is going
to come over from Netherlands so I want to see what they have in mind
exactly.

I'd love to see Freedombox people in this Bazaar, too, personally. Are
they already set up to come? If not, I'll bring it up on their email
list today.

> Anyone coming to Contact is entitled to have a demo station at the
> Bazaar to show or explain their project. If they choose, they can also
> enter the Bazaar competition simply by checking a YES box on the
> Bazaar form on the Contact site.
>
> So far there are less than a dozen entries - which is fine, of course.
> But if there are projects looking for funding and attention, this
> could be a great opportunity. And if they are already coming to
> Contact, why not take advantage of the Bazaar?
>
> It sounds like you are working on other ways to connect projects with
> sponsors, and to bring sponsors to the event. If you need a space or
> way to help foster those connections, let me know.

Sam Rose
Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451

email: samue...@gmail.com

Marcos

Aug 12, 2011, 4:15:42 PM8/12/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,

I can say that I'd love to participate, but hesitate to add myself to
the roster until I've secured more funds for transportation and/or
lodging and have more of a working prototype.

Mark J
Santa Fe Complex

Jon Lebkowsky

Aug 12, 2011, 4:17:20 PM8/12/11
to building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Anyone who can't make the NYC event but has a project can consider creating a local Meetup. We'll have more details about how that works shortly.

~ Jon L.