Improved concentration alone?

karnautrahl

Mar 17, 2009, 10:17:31 AM3/17/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
After not using this since around December last year, I still
attribute my vastly improved concentration to DNB training.

Whether real "IQ" is genuinely affected is clearly up for debate-of
course concentration ability would seem part of any such score. I'm
not convinced that "IQ" is thoroughly and definitly defined. For me,
at least I've come to the conclusion that the number given as a score
is highly irrelevent...instead the "results" of being able to focus
for far longer and think more effectively would seem more relevent.

What I do know is, before October last year I was rarely deeply
engaged in anything nonfiction for longer than 20 minutes at a time.
Mostly I read fantasy/sci-fi.

However my personal study time changed. I've taken over the living
room in the last 2 months wherer theres a big oak table, covered in
open books. I've got a record on various pages as to what time I
started and finished etc when I have to review/reread and I've
completed some textbooks. Right now, I'm working through for the
second time, Bear's Neuroscience as the basic main book however I've
got a LOT of other material that I daily work through chapters of. My
listmania on Amazon is "Teach yourself Neuroscience". It's a record of
all the books I bought specifically for this interest...and I've
reviewed many of them already.

Some are degree textbooks or for med school students. I'm having no
real trouble working through any of these. My only gap of ability is
simply some of the differential type maths in the biochemistry book
etc. My plan is to get a math tutor for this and simply plough on with
the rest.

This isn't a case of how smart I became because I definitly have no
comparison for this as I'm not on a course nor am I eligable for any
degree placements at this time. What it is though, is my own personal
testimony as to how much greater concentration I have than I ever had.

I do have to reread, backskip, pick up easier books to define terms
and wrestle with each and every chapter and page in some of the books.
I don't automagically memorise any stuff and I think that my
experience is that my ability is about average. What's making the
difference however is now I can sit for 3 hours and work in the
evening and between 1 and 4 hours in the morning depending on what
shift my partner is on. If he's up early, I get 4 hours before work.

So it boils down to shanks pony. Finding myself able to work hard and
get up at 4:30 am bleary eyed and knackered, yet able to crack open a
chapter and work through.

I've never ever had that in my life until this past few months.

Perhaps for other folks, the IQ thing isn't what you need to focus on
for your results. Its the concentration thing itself.

Maybe.

Btw Paul, do you use Claydon's book? For Organic Chemistry?

Martin Syk

Mar 17, 2009, 3:40:08 PM3/17/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Karn:
Just make sure you get enough sleep, 4.30 sounds pretty early.

karnautrahl

Mar 18, 2009, 8:59:59 AM3/18/09
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I don't set an alarm clock Martin :)

Like today I awoke at 6am instead. :)