Huperzine-a experience report

Gwern Branwen

Mar 29, 2010, 1:21:53 PM3/29/10
to N-back
One for the 'null hypothesis' files: Huperzine-A did nothing for me.
Unlike piracetam or fish oil, after a full bottle*, I noticed no
side-effects, no mental improvements of any kind, and no changes in
DNB scores from straight Huperzine-A.

Possible confounding factors:
- youth - I am considerably younger than the other poster who uses HA
- I only tested a few days with choline+HA (but I didn't notice
anything beyond the choline there).
- counterfeiting? Source Naturals is supposed to be trustworthy, but
rare herbal products are most susceptible to fake goods.

It's really too bad. HA is cheap, compact, doesn't taste at all, and
in general is much easier to take than fish oil (and *much* easier to
swallow than piracetam or choline!). But if it doesn't deliver, it
doesn't deliver.

* http://www.amazon.com/Huperzine-A-200mcg-120-tabs/dp/B000WJH2HI/ :
Source Naturals, 120 pills at 200mcg each

--
gwern

christopher lines

Mar 30, 2010, 2:20:05 PM3/30/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
reviews for these nootropics on amazon.com

mind u I reglulary take some omega 3 fish oil, but its hard to say
they make me smarter.

aerobic exercise definately does have a positive effect on my
cognitive functions although its hard to quantify since u need to
build aerobic over weeks and if you stop theres just a slow drawdown
in benefits.

On Mar 29, 6:21 pm, Gwern Branwen <gwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One for the 'null hypothesis' files: Huperzine-A did nothing for me.
> Unlike piracetam or fish oil, after a full bottle*, I noticed no
> side-effects, no mental improvements of any kind, and no changes in
> DNB scores from straight Huperzine-A.
>
> Possible confounding factors:
> - youth - I am considerably younger than the other poster who uses HA
> - I only tested a few days with choline+HA (but I didn't notice
> anything beyond the choline there).
> - counterfeiting? Source Naturals is supposed to be trustworthy, but
> rare herbal products are most susceptible to fake goods.
>
> It's really too bad. HA is cheap, compact, doesn't taste at all, and
> in general is much easier to take than fish oil (and *much* easier to
> swallow than piracetam or choline!). But if it doesn't deliver, it
> doesn't deliver.
>

> *http://www.amazon.com/Huperzine-A-200mcg-120-tabs/dp/B000WJH2HI/:

Pontus Granström

Mar 30, 2010, 2:23:14 PM3/30/10
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Yes aerobic exercise boost cognitive function, and immediatley after aerobic exercise I usually boost my scores in attentional/memory games (due to the increased blood flow and therby oxygen in the brain).

LSaul

Mar 30, 2010, 3:23:12 PM3/30/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

I've been taking 200mcg every other day for about a month now, and
have noticed some mild effects. The first few days I took it, it
seemed that my visualization skills improved. I say this because I was
getting stronger image impressions than I normally would. Although,
the noticeable effects only lasted a short period of time.

I can't really take it at night, because I feel slightly anxious and
cannot relax enough to sleep. This might hint to some alertness
benefits as well.

The reason I take it every other day is so that I don't build up a
tolerance to it. Although I'm not really sure if it's possible to
build a tolerance to it.

I'd like to try it alongside a regular Dual N-back practice to see if
it changes my performance; though I haven't had made the effort
recently.

On Mar 30, 8:23 pm, Pontus Granström <lepon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes aerobic exercise boost cognitive function, and immediatley after aerobic
> exercise I usually boost my scores in attentional/memory games (due to the
> increased blood flow and therby oxygen in the brain).
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:20 PM, christopher lines <
>

> > brain-trainin...@googlegroups.com<brain-training%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Reece

Mar 30, 2010, 3:24:26 PM3/30/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I found Huperzine A effective myself, although perhaps my having ADHD
and finding it useful would best be explained by the dopamine +
norepinephrine boost and perhaps not from acetylcholinesterase
inhibition (which seems to be more helpful in older people).

I recently switched from using straight Huperzine A (which according
to a few health food store employees I asked was no longer carried in
Canada?) to a product called "Smart Ginkgo" which has Huperzine A in
it, in addition to a lot of other stuff that will probably be more
beneficial for younger adults.