Bpython in Emacs?

Bradley Powers

Jul 25, 2011, 4:58:34 PM7/25/11
to bpython
Hi all,

I use emacs as my primary development environment. I'd like to be
able to use bpython inside of emacs as my Python shell for testing and
such. When I simply run bpython in shell-mode, it doesn't work:

bradpowers@bpow-rosdev:~$ bpython
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/bpython", line 9, in <module>
load_entry_point('bpython==0.10', 'console_scripts', 'bpython')()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bpython-0.10-py2.6.egg/
bpython\
/cli.py", line 1756, in main
banner=banner)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bpython-0.10-py2.6.egg/
bpython\
/cli.py", line 1658, in curses_wrapper
return func(stdscr, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bpython-0.10-py2.6.egg/
bpython\
/cli.py", line 1701, in main_curses
main_win, statusbar = init_wins(scr, config)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bpython-0.10-py2.6.egg/
bpython\
/cli.py", line 1538, in init_wins
main_win = newwin(background, h - 1, w, 0, 0)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bpython-0.10-py2.6.egg/
bpython\
/cli.py", line 1638, in newwin
win = curses.newwin(*args)
_curses.error: curses function returned NULL

Any recommendations on how to get emacs and bpython to play nicely
together?

Thanks,
Bradley Powers

Bob Farrell

Jul 26, 2011, 10:36:24 AM7/26/11
to bpy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bradley,

I don't use emacs so can't be much help here, other than to tell you
that I have definitely seen bpython running inside emacs.

If I remember correctly there was some requirement for ... well, all I
can remember is something about ANSI colours.

This may or may not be relevant and could be a figment of my
imagination. But hopefully your perseverance and the help from emacs
users here will help you. I'm sure Andreas is typing a response right
now, in fact. ;-)

Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin

Jul 26, 2011, 1:08:32 PM7/26/11
to bpy...@googlegroups.com
Try M-x ansi-term instead of M-x shell.
bpython works for me under it, but is painfully slow (YMMV).

However, this does not give you any of the M-x python-shell integration!
I heard people using ipython as their emacs python-shell; I don't know how hard would it be to do it with bpython, but it doesn't sound easy.

[ansi-term a full terminal emulator, so full-screen applications work inside it.
OTOH, char-by-char terminal emulation means you lose emacsy features of M-x shell (history, dabbrev, isearch...).
Happily, you can use C-c C-j and C-c C-k to toggle between char and line modes - in line mode it's similar to M-x shell.

Sebastian Ramacher

Jan 28, 2013, 7:17:18 AM1/28/13
to bpy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 2013-01-27 15:53:31, Mike Vella wrote:
> I have the identical problem.
According to [1], curses just isn't usable in an Emacs terminal.

Regards

[1] http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/34497/why-dialog-doesnt-support-emacs-shell-on-debian
--
Sebastian Ramacher