Bpbible linux version?

Isaac

Feb 11, 2012, 2:54:27 PM2/11/12
to BPBible Developers
hello everyone,

I quite enjoyed using bpbible on windows (using the 0.4 version),
somehow when I tried to run it under wine is linux, it doesn't work
(under ubuntu 11.10). I am wondering how difficult it is to port
bpbible into linux as a native app, rather than runing under wine?

in addition, frankly speaking, the 0.5 version interface isn't as
clean/thin as the 0.4 version, what might be the reason? thanks a lot

Best regards, Isaac

Jonathan Morgan

Feb 12, 2012, 7:58:48 AM2/12/12
to bpbibl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Isaac,

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Isaac <isaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
hello everyone,

I quite enjoyed using bpbible on windows (using the 0.4 version),
somehow when I tried to run it under wine is linux, it doesn't work
(under ubuntu 11.10). I am wondering how difficult it is to port
bpbible into linux as a native app, rather than runing under wine?

Theoretically, BPBible should be able to be run as a native Linux app.  Certainly quite a few people did with 0.4.7.  Unfortunately, principally due to the speed of development in XULRunner/Firefox and Linux distribution maintainer policies it's not at all easy to make 0.5 work as a native app.  I myself have not been able to try it for more than a year, and I don't believe anyone else has had success in that time either.

in addition, frankly speaking, the 0.5 version interface isn't as
clean/thin as the 0.4 version, what might be the reason? thanks a lot

This is quite possibly true.  However, since I've been using 0.5 betas and 0.5 for more than a year, I would be unable to notice it.  If you could comment on specific things that feel less clean/thin, please do so and I might be able to make a response.

Thanks,
Jon

Isaac Xin Pei

Feb 24, 2012, 7:09:27 PM2/24/12
to bpbibl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

thanks for the relpy, I took another look at 05, the visual difference is actually very little. Probably the comparison I had was with a previous beta, or runing under wine in linux. Sorry for making the comments too early. Attached are the screenshots.

I saw some posts at http://code.google.com/p/bpbible/issues/detail?id=186; it seems that war...@gmail.com is working on a debian package, which will be great!

thanks

Best regards,
 IsaacInline image 1Inline image 2

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Isaac Xin Pei,

Jonathan Morgan

Feb 25, 2012, 5:07:10 AM2/25/12
to bpbibl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your comments again.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Isaac Xin Pei <isaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jon,

thanks for the relpy, I took another look at 05, the visual difference is actually very little. Probably the comparison I had was with a previous beta, or runing under wine in linux. Sorry for making the comments too early. Attached are the screenshots.

Your screenshots reminded me that quite a few people have complained about the orange box giving the current verse range on screen in the Bible window as it sometimes gets in the way.  We should really make an option to hide that (and maybe even hide it by default).

I saw some posts at http://code.google.com/p/bpbible/issues/detail?id=186; it seems that war...@gmail.com is working on a debian package, which will be great!

While a package would be nice, I think that the XULRunner situation described in the last email makes it impossible to package because XULRunner changes too fast and we rely on an old version and they want to drop support for XULRunner anyway.  I know CrossWire's main official Debian/Ubuntu packager told me after the release of 0.5 not to bother submitting a package relying on XULRunner as it would be rejected.

Jon

Isaac Xin Pei

Feb 27, 2012, 5:44:01 PM2/27/12
to bpbibl...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the info, was there a 047 Deb package on the Web?

Jonathan Morgan

Feb 28, 2012, 7:10:20 AM2/28/12
to bpbibl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Isaac,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Isaac Xin Pei <isaa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the info, was there a 047 Deb package on the Web?

I don't believe so.  It may be possible to set it up using the instructions at http://code.google.com/p/bpbible/wiki/RunningBPBible, including the link to binaries of the bindings.

Jon