Next meeting: November 24th at MIT (32-G882)

Ravi Nanavati

Nov 20, 2009, 4:00:37 PM11/20/09
to boston...@googlegroups.com
I'm pleased to announce the November meeting of the Boston Area
Haskell Users' Group.

Based on the available days remaining in November, the meeting has
been scheduled for Tuesday, November 24th from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. Like
recent meetings, it will be held in the MIT CSAIL Reading Room
(32-G882, i.e. a room on the 8th
floor of the Gates Tower of the MIT's Stata Center at 32 Vassar St in
Cambridge, MA).

Based on the response to my previous message, I'm developing a
QuickCheck-focused joint programming exercise. If anyone wants to help
with that, I'd appreciate it (since I'm trying to pull this together
at the last minute). My plan is to introduce QuickCheck and start with
a couple of warm-up exercises before our traditional break. After the
break I'd like to use QuickCheck to find a subtle bug or two in some
interesting, nontrivial (but not too large or complicated) Haskell
program. I've found some introductory material to use as a starting
point, but I don't have the right sort of Haskell program handy. If
anyone has an interesting Haskell program they can share that is a
good fit for this exercise, please let me know (the sooner the
better).

Since the meeting is going to be focused on a programming exercise, I
don't think we'll have room for any larger presentations (at least
based on our experience at the September meeting), but I'm there will
be room for lightning talks or other advertisements if anyone has an
interest in doing that.

The November attendance poll is at: http://doodle.com/hyv5a76ib6untwtp

As always, responding to this poll will help with two things:
1. Getting an idea of what fraction of the Boston-area Haskell
community can and can't attend this meeting (to help with future
scheduling).
2. Giving me an estimated count of attendees, since I have talked my
wife into baking some more goodies and bringing drinks again.

Helping with BostonHaskell (besides volunteering to speak at future meetings):
1. Sponsorship of refreshments is still being eagerly solicited
(especially as, for personal reasons, the Cupcake Fund is running
low).
2. Please let me know if you're willing to arrive early (6pm) to stand
by the door and let people into the 8th floor. I'm guessing 1 or 2
volunteers is enough here.
3. If someone is willing to edit the HaskellWiki page, post to reddit
or otherwise publicize the meeting please just go ahead and do that
(especially as I'm sending this out a bit later than intended).

If you have any questions about the meeting please send them to them
BostonHaskell mailing list: boston...@googlegroups.com or contact
me directly.

I look forward to seeing many Boston-area Haskellers at the November meeting!

Thank you,

- Ravi Nanavati