Running on a remote X-Server (speed)

John Gentilin

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
I installed JBuilder on my Linux Laptop and it runs great.
I am now trying to run it form my Web/Java server and
display it on my laptop through Exceed (an XServer under 98).
The Web/Java Server is a VA Linux Box PIII 600 with 256
MB Ram. I am using the SUN JDK with the JIT installed.
It works, but screen paints are painfully slow. I am running
top in the background and the system load is minimal so is the
net traffic. Am I missing some magic switch ??

TIA
John G

Eric Hodges

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
No magic switch. Java is trying to paint each pixel through XWindows, so
it's just very very slow.

Write once, run anywhere but Windows or XWindows. :)

John Gentilin <gen...@eyecatching.com> wrote in message

Josh Fletcher (Borland)

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
Actually, it "runs" fine in Windows or XWindows. In order to optimize
the painting you'd need to start tapping into the driver or the OS (from
the JDK of course, not the Java app). Since the Linux JDK is pretty new
I doubt we'll see this kind of optimization (not to mention Linux 2D
graphics is dog slow anyway).

-Josh

--
Josh Fletcher
JBuilder Developer Support

Mail sent to me from the newsgroups won't bounce
but will be ignored. Please confine your posts
to the newsgroups.

Bug Reports and Feature Requests:
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/

Disclaimer
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/disclaim.html

Eric Hodges

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
It isn't just optimizing the painting that's standing in the way. To run at
a useful speed across XWindows, Swing would need to use XWindows peers.
Painting the pixels isn't going to cut it. So Sun would have to provide
lightweight and heavyweight implementations of Swing to do XWindows right.
They keep saying this is a serious issue that needs a lot of redesign to
make it happen. I think they're hoping XWindows goes away soon.

Josh Fletcher (Borland) <jfle...@borland.com> wrote in message