Interbase - Clusters

Peter B.

Sep 5, 2005, 4:01:01 PM9/5/05
Hello,

I am trying to find out if Interbase can run on a cluster server.

The setup will be "active/passive", and IB will run in both servers.
The database file is in a hard disk, that is "visible" on the passive
server only when the "active" server fails.

Interbase version is 7.5, Server OS can be windows 2003 or Linux.

Has anyone used a configuration like this ? Any problems ?

Gelein van de Voorde

Sep 5, 2005, 6:07:27 PM9/5/05

"Peter B." <alo...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

As far as I know there is no failsave method to acomplish this. When the
active server crashes Interbase has no oppertunity to flush buffers. You can
use forced writes to minimal the risk of dataloss but get less performance.
Anyway all connections will be broken when the active server crashes. Users
will have to reconnect.

Gelein van de Voorde.

Peter B.

Sep 6, 2005, 3:02:37 AM9/6/05
Thank you

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Sep 6, 2005, 11:16:45 AM9/6/05
Gelein van de Voorde wrote:

> Anyway all connections will be broken when the active server crashes.
> Users will have to reconnect.

...which is fine if you write a stateless app server.

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
How to ask questions the smart way:

Wayne Niddery [TeamB]

Sep 6, 2005, 6:20:14 PM9/6/05
Peter B. wrote:

> I am trying to find out if Interbase can run on a cluster server.

Someone posted here (or one of the IB groups) some time ago that they had
successfully done this and everything appeared to work fine. Definitely need
to have Forced Writes turned on, and would likely want to do this in a
3-tiered setup in order to insulate the clients from the lost connections.

The caveat is there is no explicit support for this so you are on your own
in trying it.

RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks.html
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are
injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say
there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks
my leg." - Thomas Jefferson

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Sep 7, 2005, 9:02:34 AM9/7/05
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] wrote:

> Someone posted here (or one of the IB groups) some time ago that they
> had successfully done this and everything appeared to work fine.

I believe it was Anders Melander.

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: http://support.borland.com/entry.jspa?externalID=293

Ilkka Hyvärinen

Sep 7, 2005, 9:47:07 AM9/7/05
Peter B. wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/borland.public.interbase.general/browse_f
rm/thread/1789c9a7252aae93/f1fd93bd08b9d431?lnk=st&q=interbase+cluster*+
group:borland.public.interbase.*&rnum=7&hl=fi#f1fd93bd08b9d431

or http://tinyurl.com/c8n8j

has info on this but the setup might not be exactly the one you're
after... (got no experience of my own on the subject).

--
ilkka hyvärinen

Anders Melander

Sep 12, 2005, 1:15:10 PM9/12/05
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <craig_...@nospam.please [a.k.a. acm.org]>
wrote:

> I believe it was Anders Melander.

Well in that case; Here's the basic instructions for setting up a two
node cluster with InterBase in active/passive failover configuration:

1) I'm assuming you have a two node cluster with four disks:

a) System disk C:
b) Application disk D: (or just use disk C if you prefer)
c) Shared database disk E:
d) Shared quorum disk Q:

2) Install InterBase on disk D on both nodes and edit ibconfig as
needed.

3) Disable the InterBase Guardian service on both nodes.

4) Create cluster group called "InterBase", disable failback and add
the following resources:

a) Physical disk: E:

b) Generic service: InterBaseServer
Dependencies: Disk E:
If you're using InterBase 7.5 or later the name of the InterBase
service is not InterBaseServer. Check the Service Manager for the
actual name.

c) IP address: (whatever suits your network)
Dependencies: InterBase service
You don't need to enable NetBIOS for the resource.

5) Bring the "InterBase" cluster group online.

6) Copy you database to disk E or restore it to disk E from whatever
backup you have.

Presto!

DIXI

+--------------------from usenet----------------------+
| Anders Bo Melander | mailto:and...@melander.dk |
| Denmark | http://www.melander.dk |
+------------------------+----------------------------+
Note: melander.dk is temporarily offline.
I can be reached at and...@syntax.dk

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Sep 12, 2005, 1:42:28 PM9/12/05
Anders Melander wrote:

> Well in that case; Here's the basic instructions for setting up a two
> node cluster with InterBase in active/passive failover configuration:

Thanks!

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Useful articles about InterBase development:
http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx