Delphi 2006 broken

Pete Goodwin

Dec 23, 2005, 6:01:05 AM12/23/05
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Delphi 2006, like Delphi 2005
is badly broken.

Twice today I've had to reboot my system - why? Because Delphi 2006
hung. The IDE remains responsive but locked, with a wait cursor. The
application that I was debugging is still running but I can't kill it.
I can't kill Delphi 2006 either.

It's unusable in this state. I can't risk running anything, the whole
mess might just lock up.

Thanks Borland, for releasing yet another unfinished product.

--

Pete Goodwin

Ryan Mills

Dec 23, 2005, 8:21:33 AM12/23/05
I don't mean to sound rude Pete, but have you considered that it might not be a
problem with Delphi but with one of your 3rd Party component packages?

Do you even have any 3rd party components installed?

Can you give us any more information?

From everything that I've been reading regarding 2006 you're one of the few
people who seem to be having any serious dificulties with it. So my question
to you is, what is so different about your setup?

Ryan.

John Jacobson

Dec 23, 2005, 8:36:08 AM12/23/05
Pete Goodwin <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
<43abe701$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Delphi 2006, like Delphi 2005
> is badly broken.
>
> Twice today I've had to reboot my system - why? Because Delphi 2006
> hung. The IDE remains responsive but locked, with a wait cursor. The
> application that I was debugging is still running but I can't kill it.
> I can't kill Delphi 2006 either.

Only twice? There's been days when I had to restart Delphi 7 half a dozen times
because of the very problem you are describing. So far, I've never had to do it
with D2005 or D2006. If one were to extrapolate their personal experience into
universal truth, one could just as easily conclude that there has actually been
a great improvement in this respect.

I'm slightly confused about why you rebooted your system instead of simply
killing Delphi from the task manager, as well as the on-the-loose application
being debugged. What operating system are you using, Windows 3.0?

--
Check out the latest beta preview of
JSNewsreader at

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1757

Mike B

Dec 23, 2005, 8:42:12 AM12/23/05
Same sarcasm as always, I see.

"John Jacobson" <jake@j[nospam]snewsreader.com> wrote in message

Pete Goodwin

Dec 23, 2005, 7:49:00 AM12/23/05
John Jacobson wrote:

> Pete Goodwin <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
> <43abe701$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>
> > I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Delphi 2006, like Delphi
> > 2005 is badly broken.
> >
> > Twice today I've had to reboot my system - why? Because Delphi 2006
> > hung. The IDE remains responsive but locked, with a wait cursor. The
> > application that I was debugging is still running but I can't kill
> > it. I can't kill Delphi 2006 either.
>
> Only twice? There's been days when I had to restart Delphi 7 half a
> dozen times because of the very problem you are describing. So far,
> I've never had to do it with D2005 or D2006. If one were to
> extrapolate their personal experience into universal truth, one could
> just as easily conclude that there has actually been a great
> improvement in this respect.
>
> I'm slightly confused about why you rebooted your system instead of
> simply killing Delphi from the task manager, as well as the
> on-the-loose application being debugged. What operating system are
> you using, Windows 3.0?

As I've said in other posts, I tried to kill the process with task
manager. It did not work. I had to reboot rather forcibly (i.e. hit the
reset button) to recover.

This is Windows XP.

--

Pete Goodwin

Pete Goodwin

Dec 23, 2005, 7:51:43 AM12/23/05
Pete Goodwin wrote:

Well, I found a workaround. Use the Turbo Debugger instead. It doesn't
hang when the application dies.

I figured out that I was creating a form like this:

form := TWhateverForm.Create(Application);

this causes the crash, the working way to do it is:

form := TWhateverForm.Create(MainForm);

something to do with the order things get destroyed I'm guessing.

--

Pete Goodwin

Message has been deleted

Eric Grange

Dec 23, 2005, 8:58:36 AM12/23/05
> Twice today I've had to reboot my system - why? Because Delphi 2006
> hung. The IDE remains responsive but locked, with a wait cursor. The
> application that I was debugging is still running but I can't kill it.
> I can't kill Delphi 2006 either.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsKill.html

Has sometimes been able to kill for me what the TaskManager couldn't or
didn't seem willing to kill.

Eric

Pete Fraser

Dec 23, 2005, 8:57:40 AM12/23/05
Pete, I can understand your frustration but you really
need to give us some more information so that Borland
can help fix it. They really want to fix bugs like this but
without anything to go on it's rather hard.
You could start by telling us which OS you are using
and also the actual version of BDS2006 (all 4 numbers).
Please also list any third party components you have
installed as it is very easy for them to lock debugging.
If you are able to create a step by step process to cause
this to happen that would be excellent. What were you
doing when it crashed? Stepping/running/looking at
variable etc. If you are able to, Borland would probably
be very interested in your project, although of course
if this involves third part controls that may be harder
to provide.
Take it from me that if Borland can reproduce this, they
will fix it. They are *very* aware of their past mistakes
at the moment.
Rgds Pete

"Pete Goodwin" <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message

Pete Fraser

Dec 23, 2005, 9:00:41 AM12/23/05
Excellent news, it's always a problem when your code
causes the debugger to crash.
What would be great is if you could create a small
project that shows this problem (with your buggy code)
and create a QC report. Borland will then be able to
fix the bug where-ever it is and others wont suffer from
it.
qc.borland.com or use JEDs QC client which is very nice.
Rgds Pete

"Pete Goodwin" <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message

John Jacobson

Dec 23, 2005, 9:04:48 AM12/23/05
Pete Goodwin <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
<43ac...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> As I've said in other posts, I tried to kill the process with task
> manager. It did not work. I had to reboot rather forcibly (i.e. hit the
> reset button) to recover.
>
> This is Windows XP.

I suspect that if you are having troubles killing any tasks (whether or not
they are started with Delphi) using task manager that something has gone
seriously awry with your installation of XP. Don't programs like Delphi don't
operate inside the "inner circle", so to speak, and so should always be under
control of the XP kernel?

Pete Fraser

Dec 23, 2005, 9:02:25 AM12/23/05
No, I don't think he's a Troll. He's just a frustrated BDS2006 user
with a bug. It turns out that it was his own bug, but the debugger
fell over on it. I think it needs fixing in BDS2006 but needs a project that
shows it up.
Rgds Pete

"Alexander Tereshchenko" <al...@fxfp.com> wrote in message

> After 1,5 weeks of heavy use Delphi 2006 still work fine for me.
> I'm yet to see any failure (except memory-on-page-switch issue).
>
> I'm sorry, but it looks more and more that you are a troll.

Adrian Gallero

Dec 23, 2005, 8:00:55 AM12/23/05
Pete Goodwin wrote:

> As I've said in other posts, I tried to kill the process with task
> manager. It did not work. I had to reboot rather forcibly (i.e. hit
> the reset button) to recover.
>
> This is Windows XP.

Hi Pete,

Without entering in discussions I do not want to get into (personally I
like D2006 a lot, but I understand different people can have different
experiences), something that might help when you can't kill a process
is sysinternal's process explorer:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

It can kill many process the normal task manager can't and also has a
lot of extra goodies (like for example knowing which process is keeping
the handle to that open file you can't delete)

Not a solution to your issues, but it might help avoiding the reboot :)
Best regards,
Adrian.

Alexander Tereshchenko

Dec 23, 2005, 10:09:33 AM12/23/05

Sorry, I think I was too harsh. Still I use debugger a lot, and have
nothing like that.

Alexander Tereshchenko
al...@fxfp.com

Ryan McGinty

Dec 23, 2005, 8:14:19 AM12/23/05
I don't think that has anything to do with Delphi - I've only had to reboot
like twice due to an app getting hung in about 3 years. I think in all those
cases it was Explorer or NAV that got hung up. I kill several tasks a day
and had to do it numerous times when using D2005. I think you may have other
issues under the hood. I've had D2006 get hung (see my post regarding it
hanging with the bdsproj file has old stuff in it) but I've never, ever had
any issue ending the task (or any task for that matter) and I haven't had
any issues debugging either...

I knew a guy who had problems like you are experiencing and while he never
figured out what was causing it (a reinstall of XP fixed it but of course
no one knows why) he used to logoff to get XP to close some programs that
he couldn't. Seemed to work most of the time instead of a full reboot...
Don't know if would work for you or not.

Ryan

Donald Shimoda

Dec 23, 2005, 8:20:02 AM12/23/05
John Jacobson wrote:

> Only twice? There's been days when I had to restart Delphi 7 half a
> dozen times because of the very problem you are describing. So far,

I use Delphi 7/ Windows XP SP2 avery day, never have to restart that. I
gues you dont aplly the updates when you use it?

Delphi 7 works excelent for me, i guess dont work for something else.
That make me re-think if the cost of buy D2006 is rigth. Here in
Argentina the cost is triplicated and theres not special Borland
politic for latinoamerican countries. Will be Delphi 2006 a nobrainer
buy if the Pro version cost U$S 1700?? I guess no, that is the
situation here.

I guess they prefer to be pirated? There many people using BDS 2006
without licence. I will remain my D7 licenced (as ever) and my D8 cds
well stored (never work as expected).

Best regards.

Donald

Message has been deleted

Ryan McGinty

Dec 23, 2005, 8:21:15 AM12/23/05
If you have shutdown issues, that can definitely be causing issues in the
debugger. I have a project with several BPL packages that are dynamically
loaded at runtime. If you unload the packages before freeing any forms used
in them, you will get shutdown access vio city and go into an infinite crash.
In D2005 it would kill the debugger and app every single time. I fixed
the issue before moving to D2006 so I don't know if the new debugger can
survive that. It is best to work that kind of problem outside the debugger
anyway (I use madExcept which will stack trace in areas the debugger doesn't
seem to see). I had to use AQTime to do an exception trace (which didn't
help much more than the IDE debugger) and then run a function trace to see
what was leading up to the issue.

Few things ruin my day like tracing a shutdown problem.

Ryan

Donald Shimoda

Dec 23, 2005, 8:21:42 AM12/23/05
Mike B wrote:

> Same sarcasm as always, I see.

Sadly, seems the only way the captain can comunicate ideas.

Donald

tony caduto

Dec 23, 2005, 9:38:14 AM12/23/05
Ryan Mills wrote:

> From everything that I've been reading regarding 2006 you're one of the few
> people who seem to be having any serious dificulties with it. So my question
> to you is, what is so different about your setup?

There seem to be lots of users having slowness issues with the IDE.
I have both PRO and Enterprise and I have been having less issues with
PRO. with the Enterprise version I have a 4 second pause switching
between code and design and opening forms in general.
I have also had a issue with the IDE sucking 750 mb of ram and the
system slowing to a crawl, and I have had a issue with the Enterprise
versions editor becoming like a teletype machine.

PRO is better, but still has speed issues with the form switching.

It really all seems to be related to the whole Together system, PRO has
less integration with it and hence less problems.

I have also noticed like others that if I don't use any refactorings it
takes much longer for the IDE to become slow and consume large amounts
of ram.

I am not using a slow PC either, it has 1gb of ram and a Athlon 64 cpu
(3200+) Delphi 7 on the same pc loads forms instantly, sure it crashes
more, but has a MUCH snappier feel to it.

Borland needs to concentrate on fixing these performance issues.

Donald Shimoda

Dec 23, 2005, 8:52:08 AM12/23/05
Mike B wrote:

> Same sarcasm as always, I see.

Ant that is not a personal attack Craig?
Why me?

Donald

Captain Jake

Dec 23, 2005, 10:43:15 AM12/23/05
"Pete Goodwin" <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>> It's unusable in this state. I can't risk running anything, the whole
>> mess might just lock up.
>>
>> Thanks Borland, for releasing yet another unfinished product.
>
> I figured out that I was creating a form like this:
>
> form := TWhateverForm.Create(Application);
>
> this causes the crash, the working way to do it is:
>
> form := TWhateverForm.Create(MainForm);

Well, it is a very Good Thing(tm) that you found the solution to your
dillemma, and that you were willing to publicly admit that it was a bug in
your code that was causing the problem. However, I wonder how many people
now are going to say, "I heard that the debugger in D2006 doesn't work", or
"I heard that D2006 has very serious bugs", because they read your many
threads and posts where you implied such but they missed this mea culpa
buried deep in a thread?

Donald Shimoda

Dec 23, 2005, 10:22:04 AM12/23/05
Captain Jake wrote:

> Well, it is a very Good Thing(tm) that you found the solution to your
> dillemma, and that you were willing to publicly admit that it was a
> bug in your code that was causing the problem.

IMHO he found a workaround, is expected neither bad writen code break
the debugger and make it freeze.

> However, I wonder how
> many people now are going to say, "I heard that the debugger in D2006
> doesn't work", or "I heard that D2006 has very serious bugs",
> because they read your many threads and posts where you implied such
> but they missed this mea culpa buried deep in a thread?

Stop complaining about reality. So many people love D2006 and theres
another with a few troubles, wich is the trouble? That kind of info
will help Borland core developers solve that kinds of unexpected
behaviours.

Donald

Pete Goodwin

Dec 23, 2005, 10:29:21 AM12/23/05
Ryan McGinty wrote:

> I don't think that has anything to do with Delphi - I've only had to
> reboot like twice due to an app getting hung in about 3 years. I
> think in all those cases it was Explorer or NAV that got hung up. I
> kill several tasks a day and had to do it numerous times when using
> D2005. I think you may have other issues under the hood. I've had
> D2006 get hung (see my post regarding it hanging with the bdsproj
> file has old stuff in it) but I've never, ever had any issue ending
> the task (or any task for that matter) and I haven't had any issues
> debugging either...

Generally task manager can kill anything - except when an app is hung
on a resource that's busy or stuck. In this case, it looks like the app
and the IDE may have been hung on each other - I'm guessing.

> I knew a guy who had problems like you are experiencing and while he
> never figured out what was causing it (a reinstall of XP fixed it but
> of course no one knows why) he used to logoff to get XP to close some
> programs that he couldn't. Seemed to work most of the time instead
> of a full reboot... Don't know if would work for you or not.

Tried logging off, tried resetting. Nothing worked.

--

Pete

Pete Goodwin

Dec 23, 2005, 10:54:53 AM12/23/05
Pete Fraser wrote:

> Excellent news, it's always a problem when your code
> causes the debugger to crash.
> What would be great is if you could create a small
> project that shows this problem (with your buggy code)
> and create a QC report. Borland will then be able to
> fix the bug where-ever it is and others wont suffer from
> it.
> qc.borland.com or use JEDs QC client which is very nice.

It wouldn't be a small project - the order of shutdown is part of
VSThost and possibly ASIOhost, two extra components I'm using. One of
them (VSTHost) controls a form in which it displays an audio plugin -
so I'd need a plugin as well!

--

Pete Goodwin

Pete Goodwin

Dec 23, 2005, 10:56:04 AM12/23/05
Alexander Tereshchenko wrote:

I was too harsh on Delphi 2006. I tried the same project on Delphi 7 -
it hung in exactly the same way too.

--

Pete Goodwin

chrisC

Dec 23, 2005, 12:05:13 PM12/23/05
Pete Goodwin wrote:

> I was too harsh on Delphi 2006. I tried the same project on Delphi 7 -
> it hung in exactly the same way too.

Maybe you shold start a new thread and apologise to this crowd for
causing a mayhem and also state that D2006 is *just* fine!

Chris

Wayne Niddery [TeamB]

Dec 23, 2005, 12:55:32 PM12/23/05
tony caduto wrote:
> There seem to be lots of users having slowness issues with the IDE.
> I have both PRO and Enterprise and I have been having less issues with
> PRO. with the Enterprise version I have a 4 second pause switching
> between code and design and opening forms in general.

Go into options and turn off Palette Wizards.

RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks.html
"The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as
sacred as the laws of God and there is not a force of law and public
justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence." - John Adams

Martin Waldenburg

Dec 23, 2005, 1:42:17 PM12/23/05
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] schrieb:

> Go into options and turn off Palette Wizards.

just wondering why such things are included if not usable at all.

Martin

Bruce McGee

Dec 23, 2005, 12:38:18 PM12/23/05
Pete Goodwin wrote:

> I was too harsh on Delphi 2006. I tried the same project on Delphi 7 -
> it hung in exactly the same way too.

If you find what the problem was, I hope you'll post it here.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

John Jacobson

Dec 23, 2005, 2:14:43 PM12/23/05
Mike B <mbri...@wol.co.za> wrote in message <43ab...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Same sarcasm as always, I see.

I'm never sarcastic.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1824

Ryan McGinty

Dec 23, 2005, 1:27:22 PM12/23/05
Because they *are* usable. I don't have any trouble...

Ryan

Ingvar Anderberg

Dec 23, 2005, 4:17:27 PM12/23/05

"Bruce McGee" <bmc...@glooscap.com> skrev
> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I was too harsh on Delphi 2006. I tried the same project on Delphi 7 -
>> it hung in exactly the same way too.
>
> If you find what the problem was, I hope you'll post it here.
>
> --

He did, he was trying to create a form that has the
"Application" as the owner, and that one was
waiting for the form to be ready... <g>

/ia

tony caduto

Dec 23, 2005, 5:24:19 PM12/23/05

> Go into options and turn off Palette Wizards.

it's been off since I installed, I used that trick with D2005 :-)

Pete Goodwin

Dec 23, 2005, 5:09:51 PM12/23/05
chrisC wrote:

> causing a mayhem and also state that D2006 is just fine!
>
> Chris

I'm not ready to say that. See my other topics about the IDE crashing.

--

Pete Goodwin

Dan Smith

Dec 23, 2005, 5:23:13 PM12/23/05

"Pete Goodwin" <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote:
>I figured out that I was creating a form like this:
>
>form := TWhateverForm.Create(Application);
>
>this causes the crash, the working way to do it is:
>
>form := TWhateverForm.Create(MainForm);
>
>something to do with the order things get destroyed I'm guessing.

Something to do with your code and not the Delphi IDE, I'm guessing.

--
Dan

Pete Goodwin

Dec 24, 2005, 1:02:18 AM12/24/05
Dan Smith wrote:

Somehow my code should not be able to hang both itself and the IDE. The
IDE ought to be able to work and shutdown my application, not tie
itself in knots.

--

Pete Goodwin

Pete Fraser

Dec 24, 2005, 5:19:13 AM12/24/05
I agree with Pete on this. The IDE should NOT crash when you
do something wrong. It should help you find the bug. That's what
it's there for. Having said that though, Windows does have the
potential to lock things up if done wrong. So a test case would
be good for this one. I tend to take the approach that if I find
a bug in my code I fix it and add some code to make sure that
it can't happen again without giving an error or throwing an
exception etc.
Rgds Pete

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 24, 2005, 7:33:27 AM12/24/05
Pete Fraser wrote:

> So a test case would be good for this one.

Yes, it would. Pity there isn't one yet.

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Got questions?: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Pete Goodwin

Dec 25, 2005, 11:10:37 AM12/25/05
Adrian Gallero wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> > As I've said in other posts, I tried to kill the process with task
> > manager. It did not work. I had to reboot rather forcibly (i.e. hit
> > the reset button) to recover.
> >

> > This is Windows XP.
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> Without entering in discussions I do not want to get into (personally
> I like D2006 a lot, but I understand different people can have
> different experiences), something that might help when you can't kill
> a process is sysinternal's process explorer:
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
>
> It can kill many process the normal task manager can't and also has a
> lot of extra goodies (like for example knowing which process is
> keeping the handle to that open file you can't delete)
>
> Not a solution to your issues, but it might help avoiding the reboot
> :) Best regards,
> Adrian.

I installed the PsTools suite - pskill was unable to shut down either
process. psshutdown -f -r (force reboot) managed to get my system to
reboot.

Turbo Debugger seems to handle this quite well, even when reset fails.
Quit turbo debugger and the app dies.

--

Pete Goodwin

John Jacobson

Dec 26, 2005, 12:50:47 AM12/26/05
Pete Goodwin <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
<43ae...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Turbo Debugger seems to handle this quite well, even when reset fails.
> Quit turbo debugger and the app dies.

Actually I suspect the reason Turbo Debugger can "handle it" is because Turbo
Debugger doesn't have any components installed that are also used in the app.
The IDE doesn't sandbox applications that are run in the integrated debugger,
IIRC from a conversation I had with Danny a few years back. So what Turbo
Debugger is "handling" is not the same thing as what the IDE debugger is
handling, and it is unlikely that it could easily be made to work within the
IDE either.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1865

Pete Goodwin

Dec 26, 2005, 4:30:12 AM12/26/05
John Jacobson wrote:

Your theory turns out to be wrong - I removed the components from the
IDE and instantiated them at run time. I also used more up to date
versions. I still get the IDE/App lockup. So, when the IDE or Turbo
Debugger run, only the app has the components.

--

Pete Goodwin

Pete Goodwin

Dec 26, 2005, 4:34:39 AM12/26/05
Pete Fraser wrote:

> Pete, I can understand your frustration but you really
> need to give us some more information so that Borland
> can help fix it. They really want to fix bugs like this but
> without anything to go on it's rather hard.
> You could start by telling us which OS you are using
> and also the actual version of BDS2006 (all 4 numbers).
> Please also list any third party components you have
> installed as it is very easy for them to lock debugging.
> If you are able to create a step by step process to cause
> this to happen that would be excellent. What were you
> doing when it crashed? Stepping/running/looking at
> variable etc. If you are able to, Borland would probably
> be very interested in your project, although of course
> if this involves third part controls that may be harder
> to provide.
> Take it from me that if Borland can reproduce this, they
> will fix it. They are very aware of their past mistakes
> at the moment.
> Rgds Pete

> "Pete Goodwin" <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message

> > I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Delphi 2006, like Delphi
> > 2005 is badly broken.
> >
> > Twice today I've had to reboot my system - why? Because Delphi 2006
> > hung. The IDE remains responsive but locked, with a wait cursor. The
> > application that I was debugging is still running but I can't kill
> > it. I can't kill Delphi 2006 either.

> > It's unusable in this state. I can't risk running anything, the
> > whole mess might just lock up.
> >
> > Thanks Borland, for releasing yet another unfinished product.
> >

> > --
> > Pete Goodwin

I've logged a QC with all I know at the moment. Unfortunately there's
not a simple app that can demonstrate the problem,

--

Pete Goodwin

Pete Goodwin

Dec 26, 2005, 4:32:44 AM12/26/05
John Jacobson wrote:

> Pete Goodwin <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message

> <43ac...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> > As I've said in other posts, I tried to kill the process with task
> > manager. It did not work. I had to reboot rather forcibly (i.e. hit
> > the reset button) to recover.
> >
> > This is Windows XP.
>

> I suspect that if you are having troubles killing any tasks (whether
> or not they are started with Delphi) using task manager that
> something has gone seriously awry with your installation of XP. Don't
> programs like Delphi don't operate inside the "inner circle", so to
> speak, and so should always be under control of the XP kernel?

Delphi runs in user mode. I don't believe any of it runs in kernel
mode, even the debugger.

--

Pete Goodwin

Ingvar Nilsen

Dec 26, 2005, 7:50:54 AM12/26/05
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] wrote:
> Go into options and turn off Palette Wizards.

Turning off a Wizard can be dangrous!
(At least remove their magic wand first)

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

John Jacobson

Dec 26, 2005, 4:42:18 PM12/26/05
Pete Goodwin <goodwin...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
<43afc634$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Your theory turns out to be wrong - I removed the components from the
> IDE and instantiated them at run time.

You removed the entire VCL from the IDE? Wow. How did you figure out how to get
the IDE not to load the base VCL package that all components descend from?

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1868

Anders Isaksson

Dec 27, 2005, 3:43:23 AM12/27/05
Pete Goodwin wrote:

> This is Windows XP.

In Classic or Themed mode? I've experienced a lot of problems (mainly
memory leaks, but also unexplained crashes) with different program
running on XP in Themed mode. Reverting to Classic has certainly made
things better.

I belive there is a hot fix for XP that should take care of some of
those leaks, searching...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319740

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 27, 2005, 4:32:46 AM12/27/05
John Jacobson wrote:

> You removed the entire VCL from the IDE? Wow. How did you figure out
> how to get the IDE not to load the base VCL package that all
> components descend from?

I expect he meant the components not shipped with Delphi. Having said
that, it appears no test case has been forthcoming so it would be
difficult for anyone to help anyway.

Olivier Pons

Dec 27, 2005, 7:32:21 AM12/27/05
What's the difference between sarcatic and ironic ?

Pete Goodwin

Dec 27, 2005, 7:59:13 AM12/27/05
Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:

> John Jacobson wrote:
>
> > You removed the entire VCL from the IDE? Wow. How did you figure out
> > how to get the IDE not to load the base VCL package that all
> > components descend from?
>
> I expect he meant the components not shipped with Delphi. Having said
> that, it appears no test case has been forthcoming so it would be
> difficult for anyone to help anyway.

I posted one on the QC, so there is a test case there.

--

Pete Goodwin

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 27, 2005, 8:45:06 AM12/27/05
Pete Goodwin wrote:

> > I expect he meant the components not shipped with Delphi. Having
> > said that, it appears no test case has been forthcoming so it would
> > be difficult for anyone to help anyway.
>
> I posted one on the QC, so there is a test case there.

You might like to put steps in the report (I'm assuming it is QC 22792).

The application tries to load Kondor.DLL; I assume it is supposed to be
VSTPlugin.DLL? Anyway, changing to that file name instead (in main.pas)
results in an application that runs OK for me.

As per your comment in the report, perhaps it's a hardware problem
after all?

Jim Cooper

Dec 27, 2005, 10:40:47 AM12/27/05

> Somehow my code should not be able to hang both itself and the IDE.

But it sounds like there is third-party code involved as well, yes? You and
Delphi may be well behaved. Not all components and libraries are :-)

There will inevitably be situations where crappy code causes all sorts of odd
things to happen. Third-party components and wizards can be particularly
insidious because some of their code gets called by the Delphi IDE. I doubt it
is even theoretically possible to stop that code going doing something stupid :-)

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Jim Cooper jco...@tabdee.ltd.uk
Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd http://www.tabdee.ltd.uk

TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Larry Maturo

Dec 27, 2005, 11:55:04 AM12/27/05
Just to let you know, Delphi isn't the only IDE that has that type of
problem.
I was using a Modula-2 IDE years ago, and using the debugger on a problem
I had crashed the program. Very frustrating. It turned out I had
overwritten
the memory location that told the system how much free memory was avialable
with a 0, so the debugger thought it had to close down due to lack of
memory.
I don't think we will ever be able to create a system that can't be bombed
by
a "smart" user making a stupid mistake. :-) I ended up disassembing the
code
and a looking at the assembly to finally figure out what I had done.

-- Larry Maturo

> Alexander Tereshchenko wrote:
>

>> Sorry, I think I was too harsh. Still I use debugger a lot, and have
>> nothing like that.
>>
>> Alexander Tereshchenko
>> al...@fxfp.com
>>

>> > No, I don't think he's a Troll. He's just a frustrated BDS2006 user
>> > with a bug. It turns out that it was his own bug, but the debugger
>> > fell over on it. I think it needs fixing in BDS2006 but needs a
>> > project that shows it up.
>> > Rgds Pete

> I was too harsh on Delphi 2006. I tried the same project on Delphi 7 -
> it hung in exactly the same way too.
>

> --
>
> Pete Goodwin

Pete Goodwin

Dec 27, 2005, 2:48:49 PM12/27/05
Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> > > I expect he meant the components not shipped with Delphi. Having
> > > said that, it appears no test case has been forthcoming so it
> > > would be difficult for anyone to help anyway.
> >
> > I posted one on the QC, so there is a test case there.
>
> You might like to put steps in the report (I'm assuming it is QC
> 22792).
>
> The application tries to load Kondor.DLL; I assume it is supposed to
> be VSTPlugin.DLL? Anyway, changing to that file name instead (in
> main.pas) results in an application that runs OK for me.
>
> As per your comment in the report, perhaps it's a hardware problem
> after all?

That's interesting - on my system it crashes before it even managed to
load kondor.dll (which I deliberately didn't supply). In fact, it tries
to access Host which should be undefined - so how come yours works,
when there's a deliberate error there?

--

Pete Goodwin

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 27, 2005, 3:45:52 PM12/27/05
Pete Goodwin wrote:

> That's interesting - on my system it crashes before it even managed to
> load kondor.dll (which I deliberately didn't supply). In fact, it
> tries to access Host which should be undefined - so how come yours
> works, when there's a deliberate error there?

Why should Host be undefined, and where does the application crash?

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 27, 2005, 5:11:23 PM12/27/05
Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:

> > That's interesting - on my system it crashes before it even managed
> > to load kondor.dll (which I deliberately didn't supply). In fact, it
> > tries to access Host which should be undefined - so how come yours
> > works, when there's a deliberate error there?
>
> Why should Host be undefined, and where does the application crash?

OK.. I found the comment on the report which makes your post clearer.

Setting the DriverIndex didn't fire any of the events for me, so I
called one of them manually to force the AV (see my comment on the
report). I was able to terminate the app normally.

I have since found an ASIO driver here:

http://www.asio4all.com/

..and setting the DriverIndex now fires the events, however the result
it still the same; I am able to terminate the application as normal
after the AV.

Pete Goodwin

Dec 28, 2005, 1:11:49 AM12/28/05
Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:

> Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
>
> > > That's interesting - on my system it crashes before it even
> > > managed to load kondor.dll (which I deliberately didn't supply).
> > > In fact, it tries to access Host which should be undefined - so
> > > how come yours works, when there's a deliberate error there?
> >
> > Why should Host be undefined, and where does the application crash?
>
> OK.. I found the comment on the report which makes your post clearer.
>
> Setting the DriverIndex didn't fire any of the events for me, so I
> called one of them manually to force the AV (see my comment on the
> report). I was able to terminate the app normally.
>
> I have since found an ASIO driver here:
>
> http://www.asio4all.com/
>
> ..and setting the DriverIndex now fires the events, however the result
> it still the same; I am able to terminate the application as normal
> after the AV.

It does sound like it is related to my hardware setup, then, ugh!

--

Pete Goodwin

Brad White

Dec 27, 2005, 8:49:15 PM12/27/05
"Olivier Pons" <olivie...@f.r.e.e.fr.remove.unnecessary.dots.com> wrote
in message news:43b1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> What's the difference between sarcatic and ironic ?

Ironic is spelled correctly?

--
Merry Christmas,
Brad.

Ingvar Anderberg

Dec 28, 2005, 9:43:18 AM12/28/05
"Brad White" wrote.
>> "Olivier Pons" wrote
>> What's the difference between sarcatic and ironic ?
>>

> Ironic is spelled correctly?
>
> --

lol

Olivier Pons