How many Delphi users in the world?

grandpascalus

Aug 16, 2007, 12:28:17 PM8/16/07
(Some poeple may recognize the same question I posted in the C++Builder forum
;-)...)

Hi there!

This question may also concern every component developer who intends to found
his own company and needs to know for his business plan how many Delphi licenses
are in the nature (all versions included - starting at least from Delphi5).

Does somebody (from codegear especially) know the answer? If possible, a
detailed list per version would be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
/Pascal

Johnnie Norsworthy

Aug 16, 2007, 12:41:08 PM8/16/07
"grandpascalus" <grandp...@free.fr> wrote in message

> Does somebody (from codegear especially) know the answer? If possible, a
> detailed list per version would be very appreciated.

Good luck. I think all the remaining Delphi developers would like to know,
but CodeGear considers this information proprietary marketing information
from my understanding.

You might have better luck asking some of the big component vendors for this
type of information.

-Johnnie

Peter Morris

Aug 16, 2007, 12:58:32 PM8/16/07
> You might have better luck asking some of the big component vendors for
> this type of information.

I suspect they might consider it proprietary marketing information :-)

OBones

Aug 16, 2007, 3:01:07 PM8/16/07

You could always have a look at open source projects statistics.

--
Olivier Sannier
JVCL Coordinator

Find more about me on LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/obones

John Herbster

Aug 16, 2007, 4:45:19 PM8/16/07

"grandpascalus" <grandp...@free.fr> wrote

> This question may also concern every component
> developer who intends to found his own company
> and needs to know for his business plan how many
> Delphi licenses are in the nature (all versions
> included - starting at least from Delphi5).

Pascal,

Delphi developers come in all flavors. Some, like me,
use Delphi only part time and write about 150 small
programs and only one big one a year. Others write
only one program one day a year. Others work full
time on one huge program all year long.

To answer your question for a business plan, you
might consider making a list of other component
developers and try to find out how well each is
doing financially and how they wish they had done
things differently.

HTH, JohnH

TJC Support

Aug 16, 2007, 5:08:44 PM8/16/07
"grandpascalus" <grandp...@free.fr> wrote in message

> Does somebody (from codegear especially) know the answer?

Hi Pascal,

Well, seems the only way to find out is to count us yourself. :^)
So, here ya go: 1 using Delphi 7

Cheers, and good luck! :^)

Van Swofford
Tybee Jet Corp.

Johnnie Norsworthy

Aug 16, 2007, 5:11:48 PM8/16/07
"TJC Support" <jvsR...@REMOVEtybeejet.com> wrote in message

I think there was one time a long long time ago that a Borland
representative may have mentioned that people that read these newsgroups do
not accurately represent their customer base.

So, this type of count *may* not work.

With that in mind, D7 + 1 for me.

-Johnnie

TJC Support

Aug 16, 2007, 5:21:32 PM8/16/07
"Johnnie Norsworthy" <jln...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I think there was one time a long long time ago that a Borland
> representative may have mentioned that people that read these newsgroups
> do not accurately represent their customer base.

Yeah, we're probably not your average Delphi programmer. I keep a
six-shooter by the monitor so I can shoot the computer when the discussion
gets too heated on this newsgroup. I've saved thousands since it occured to
me that it isn't the computer that's bringing in all the arguments, it's the
cable modem. It's much cheaper to replace a shot-up modem than a shot-up
computer. :^)

Cheers,

Mark A. Andrews

Aug 16, 2007, 5:36:29 PM8/16/07
grandpascalus wrote:

> Does somebody (from codegear especially) know the answer? If possible, a
> detailed list per version would be very appreciated.

42

Mark

Edmund

Aug 16, 2007, 9:50:32 PM8/16/07
grandpascalus wrote::

Sorry to burst your bubble, so to speak; but, is it really
that feasible, or necessarily useful to have such a
value known. I mean, the only thing CG can tell
(*IF* they are willing) is the # of Delphi licenses (current
editions, i.e. BDS2006 and D2007) purchased. Purchased does
not mean *used*.

Furthermore, since a lot of people here purchased multiple
versions, they are counted multiple times, so if you're
keeping track of *unique* Delphi usage statistics, you aren't
going to be successful. If repeated users is not a problem,
you're still going to have a daunting task of keeping tabs.

At the beginning, I probably would've been interested; but
right now, it's no longer important. I use what I need,
not what numbers say.

Edmund

Q Correll

Aug 16, 2007, 10:15:28 PM8/16/07
Mark,

| 42

<Hitchhikers R Us>

08/16/2007 19:15:03

XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Eric Grange

Aug 17, 2007, 1:50:08 AM8/17/07
> Good luck. I think all the remaining Delphi developers would like to know,
> but CodeGear considers this information proprietary marketing information
> from my understanding.

More like they have no idea.
The only hard figures they have access to are sales of new version, which a lot
of Delphi users aren't migrating to... or using (D2005 box sitting on the shelf
syndrome).

Eric

Michael Swindell (CodeGear)

Aug 17, 2007, 3:46:39 PM8/17/07
Delphi has a developer population of approx 1.75 million users worldwide in
2006. Delphi has 15% IDE marketshare overall (7.7% ranked out of 100%) and
is the #2 Windows IDE and the #4 IDE overall(C++Builder is #3 and #5
respectively).

For licenses distributed per version/year we may be able to provide guidance
under NDA to tool and component partners. I'll discuss this with David.

An anecdotal search yields an interesting "data":

Delphi VCL Controls and Components
1,300,000 for Delphi (VCL OR "visual component library") (control OR
component)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Delphi+%28VCL+OR+%22visual+component+library%22%29+%28control+OR+component%29+&btnG=Search

Delphi Winforms Controls and Components
800,000 for ".net" (winforms OR winform OR "windows forms") (control OR
component) (Delphi OR "Delphi .NET" OR Delphi.NET)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22.net%22+%28winforms+OR+winform+OR+%22windows+forms%22%29+%28control+OR+component%29+%28Delphi+OR+%22Delphi+.NET%22+OR+Delphi.NET%29&btnG=Search

.NET Winforms Controls and Components
3,810,000 for ".net" (winforms OR winform OR "windows forms") (control OR
component)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22.net%22+%28winforms+OR+winform+OR+%22windows+forms%22%29+%28control+OR+component%29+&btnG=Search

C# Winforms Controls and Components
2,390,000 for ".net" (winforms OR winform OR "windows forms") (control OR
component) C#
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22.net%22+%28winforms+OR+winform+OR+%22windows+forms%22%29+%28control+OR+component%29+C%23

Visual Basic Winforms Controls and Components
2,440,000 for ".net" (winforms OR winform OR "windows forms") (control OR
component) (VB OR "visual basic" OR "visual basic.net" OR "vb.net").
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22.net%22+%28winforms+OR+winform+OR+%22windows+forms%22%29+%28control+OR+component%29+%28VB+OR+%22visual+basic%22+OR+%22visual+basic.net%22+OR+%22vb.net%22%29

Michael Swindell (CodeGear)

Aug 17, 2007, 3:59:02 PM8/17/07
> Sorry to burst your bubble, so to speak; but, is it really
> that feasible, or necessarily useful to have such a
> value known. I mean, the only thing CG can tell
> (*IF* they are willing) is the # of Delphi licenses (current
> editions, i.e. BDS2006 and D2007) purchased. Purchased does
> not mean *used*.

We have very detailed license sold statistics, and we also have detailed
licenses registered and activated statistics. So we can tell how many
purchased vs how many "used", or at least installed and activated. It is
proprietary data however. We use external analyst firms for general
marketshare data and user populations, which we can quote publicly. However,
market data includes all active users - those who have recently purchased
along with those haven't upgraded in years and even pirated copies ( please
don't pirate... pirating hurts Delphi more than you imagine - if you cannot
afford a copy of Delphi, let us know. We'll figure out a way to make
affordable versions that meet your requirement).

> Furthermore, since a lot of people here purchased multiple
> versions, they are counted multiple times, so if you're
> keeping track of *unique* Delphi usage statistics, you aren't
> going to be successful. If repeated users is not a problem,
> you're still going to have a daunting task of keeping tabs.

When we look at our data we look at unique registations, ie we count a
license that has been re-registered multiple times as one registration. We
also consider that a customer who has six licenses over a span of time to be
one customer, not six. We also separate license types, ie full price
licenses, vs educational/academic licenses, vs free types such as personal /
turbo explorers, vs trials. Like anyone we don't like to be fooled by data,
and in my view the more data you have just means more opportunity to be
misled :) so you have to be more diligent about how you look at and
interpret data.

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

Aug 17, 2007, 3:50:35 PM8/17/07
Edmund wrote:

> Furthermore, since a lot of people here purchased multiple
> versions, they are counted multiple times

Probably not if they bought upgrades (which is what I'd do).
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

"All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty
girl." -- Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977), in My Autobiography (1964)

Michael Swindell (CodeGear)

Aug 17, 2007, 4:06:13 PM8/17/07
> Yeah, we're probably not your average Delphi programmer. I keep a
> six-shooter by the monitor so I can shoot the computer when the discussion
> gets too heated on this newsgroup. I've saved thousands since it occured
> to me that it isn't the computer that's bringing in all the arguments,
> it's the cable modem. It's much cheaper to replace a shot-up modem than a
> shot-up computer. :^)

I nominate this message for Post of the Year.

-Michael

Bruce McGee

Aug 17, 2007, 6:47:53 PM8/17/07
Michael Swindell (CodeGear) wrote:

> Delphi has a developer population of approx 1.75 million users
> worldwide in 2006. Delphi has 15% IDE marketshare overall (7.7%
> ranked out of 100%) and is the #2 Windows IDE and the #4 IDE
> overall(C++Builder is #3 and #5 respectively).

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this.

This number (1.75 million) indicates unique license owners and not just
licenses, right? For example, if I purchased a version of Delphi and
then upgraded to the next version and the next and so on, that still
counts as one user.

I'm not sure I understand the line about having 15% IDE market share
but 7.7% ranked out of 100%. Is that 15% market share for all IDEs but
7.7% for Delphi?

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Brad White

Aug 17, 2007, 6:54:51 PM8/17/07
It happens that Bruce McGee formulated :

> Michael Swindell (CodeGear) wrote:
>
>> Delphi has a developer population of approx 1.75 million users
>> worldwide in 2006. Delphi has 15% IDE marketshare overall (7.7%
>> ranked out of 100%) and is the #2 Windows IDE and the #4 IDE
>> overall(C++Builder is #3 and #5 respectively).
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> This number (1.75 million) indicates unique license owners and not just
> licenses, right? For example, if I purchased a version of Delphi and
> then upgraded to the next version and the next and so on, that still
> counts as one user.

Yes, see his other post where he details the process more.

> I'm not sure I understand the line about having 15% IDE market share
> but 7.7% ranked out of 100%. Is that 15% market share for all IDEs but
> 7.7% for Delphi?

I had that same question.

Thanks,
Brad.

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

Aug 17, 2007, 7:33:07 PM8/17/07
Donald Smith wrote:

> I cannot afford a copy of Delphi. Can I get it for the price of
> VS2005 Standard?

Send me an email and we'll see what we can work out.

nick....@codegear.com

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Donald Smith

Aug 17, 2007, 7:28:01 PM8/17/07
"Michael Swindell (CodeGear)" <michael.nos...@codegear.com> wrote
in message news:46c5fe10$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> if you cannot afford a copy of Delphi, let us know. We'll figure out a way
> to make affordable versions that meet your requirement).

I cannot afford a copy of Delphi. Can I get it for the price of VS2005
Standard?

Brad White

Aug 17, 2007, 8:00:53 PM8/17/07
on 8/17/2007, Michael Swindell (CodeGear) supposed :

> Delphi has a developer population of approx 1.75 million users worldwide in
> 2006. Delphi has 15% IDE marketshare overall (7.7% ranked out of 100%) and is
> the #2 Windows IDE and the #4 IDE overall(C++Builder is #3 and #5
> respectively).

Wow, Michael. Thanks for the details.
Those are useful ammunition.
Any more you can share would be welcome
as well.

Thanks,
Brad.

Bruce McGee

Aug 17, 2007, 8:02:48 PM8/17/07
Brad White wrote:

> Yes, see his other post where he details the process more.

D'oh! I missed that.

1.75 million unique users us pretty impressive and higher than I would
have guessed. Sweet!

Donald Smith

Aug 17, 2007, 8:14:19 PM8/17/07
"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <nick....@codegear.com> wrote in message

> Send me an email and we'll see what we can work out.

Thanks Nick. Can I wait a little until Highlander is released? (I would like
a Delphi with the help fixed).

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

Aug 17, 2007, 8:29:44 PM8/17/07
Donald Smith wrote:

> Thanks Nick. Can I wait a little until Highlander is released? (I
> would like a Delphi with the help fixed).

Sure.

jana.v...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2007, 11:24:50 AM8/18/07

I guess you could try Turbo edition in the mean time.

Peter Z.

Aug 18, 2007, 2:26:43 PM8/18/07

"Michael Swindell (CodeGear)" <michael.nos...@codegear.com> wrote
in message news:46c5fb28$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Delphi has a developer population of approx 1.75 million users worldwide
> in 2006. Delphi has 15% IDE marketshare overall (7.7% ranked out of 100%)
> and is the #2 Windows IDE and the #4 IDE overall(C++Builder is #3 and #5
> respectively).

Thank you for sharing this information with us. It will definitely help to
convince some skeptics that Delphi is not a sinking ship.

These numbers are really impressive! Now, imagine that all your customers
are on SA. That could easily generate a revenue of $1bln a year. In your
place I would start offering huge discounts (up to 50% off) for all new
product purchases *when* bought with the SA plan. You might earn less money
in the short run, but that would create new long lasting relationships (with
secure annual incomes).

Have you thought of that?

Regards,
P.

Michael Swindell (CodeGear)

Aug 20, 2007, 6:55:34 PM8/20/07
> This number (1.75 million) indicates unique license owners and not just
> licenses, right? For example, if I purchased a version of Delphi and
> then upgraded to the next version and the next and so on, that still
> counts as one user.

Actually its not licenses, it's unique *users* in 2006 not necessarily
licenses or more specifically not necessarily paid licenses- ie there is
some piracy in there and free editions as well. 1.75m is # of active
developers using Delphi.

Michael Swindell (CodeGear)

Aug 20, 2007, 6:52:41 PM8/20/07
Think of it this way, 15% of developers use a Delphi IDE in 2006 - but some
developers use more than one IDE so there is duplication, and the total is
higher than 100%. Normalized to 100% share, Delphi is about 7.7% (population
totaling 100%).

"Bruce McGee" <bmc...@glooscap.com> wrote in message

Bruce McGee

Aug 20, 2007, 10:57:47 PM8/20/07
Michael Swindell (CodeGear) wrote:

> Actually its not licenses, it's unique users in 2006 not necessarily

> licenses or more specifically not necessarily paid licenses- ie there
> is some piracy in there and free editions as well. 1.75m is # of
> active developers using Delphi.

That's a pretty impressive number. Thanks.

Bruce McGee

Aug 20, 2007, 10:57:47 PM8/20/07
Michael Swindell (CodeGear) wrote:

> Think of it this way, 15% of developers use a Delphi IDE in 2006 -
> but some developers use more than one IDE so there is duplication,
> and the total is higher than 100%. Normalized to 100% share, Delphi
> is about 7.7% (population totaling 100%).

Thanks for the clarification.