Delphi 9 Feature Request

kevin

Sep 21, 2004, 9:16:06 PM9/21/04
Ability to revert to last known good Environment Options so that when some
idiot install program wipes out your library path, you have a good copy to
revert back to.

Dennis Landi

Sep 21, 2004, 9:22:54 PM9/21/04
"kevin" <ke...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Ability to revert to last known good Environment Options so that when some
> idiot install program wipes out your library path, you have a good copy to
> revert back to.

Have a look at TRegistry in the Delphi help. You should be able to write you
own little function in half an hour...

-d

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Sep 21, 2004, 9:25:24 PM9/21/04
kevin wrote:

I expect the feature list for the next release of Delphi is probably
closed by now, however you could periodically export the registry
entries, or write (or find) an IDE expert that does it for you when you
save the enviroment settings.

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Allen Bauer

Sep 21, 2004, 11:34:57 PM9/21/04
> Ability to revert to last known good Environment Options so that when some
> idiot install program wipes out your library path, you have a good copy to
> revert back to.

One thing you can do with all versions of Delphi from at least D5, is use
the "-r" command-line switch. This allows you to specify the root registry
key to use when loading the IDE. For instance in D7, you could export the
HKCU\Software\Borland\Delphi key to a file. Then rename the "Delphi" key to
something else, like "SafeMode". Then re-import the exported key to
recreate the HKCU\..\Delphi key. Finally, when you run the Delphi32
application, just pass the "-rSafeMode" switch to use that key.

--
Allen Bauer
Delphi/C#Builder Principal Architect

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Sep 21, 2004, 11:45:37 PM9/21/04
Allen Bauer wrote:

> One thing you can do with all versions of Delphi from at least D5, is
> use the "-r" command-line switch.

Cool. You learn something new every day <g>

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Alessandro Federici

Sep 22, 2004, 12:57:33 AM9/22/04
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <dnot...@n0sp4m.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
[..]

> Cool. You learn something new every day <g>

Indeed! Broadcasted in our ngs ;-) That can be a life saver tip!

Ingvar Nilsen

Sep 22, 2004, 2:37:39 AM9/22/04
Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
> Allen Bauer wrote:

>> One thing you can do with all versions of Delphi from at least D5,
>> is use the "-r" command-line switch.

> Cool. You learn something new every day <g>

Wow! And yes, this was a new one.
Wonder what the -s, -k, -q, -x, -y switches does.. :)

--
Ingvar Nilsen

Will DeWitt Jr.

Sep 22, 2004, 3:26:35 AM9/22/04
Ingvar Nilsen wrote:

> Wow! And yes, this was a new one.
> Wonder what the -s, -k, -q, -x, -y switches does.. :)

Wonder if these are documented anywhere, or if there's a -? or /help
option to show them all. :D

Will

--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--

http://qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details?reportid=7324

Dennis Landi

Sep 22, 2004, 3:20:49 AM9/22/04

"Allen Bauer" <aba...@spicedham.borland.com> wrote in message

> > Ability to revert to last known good Environment Options so that when
some
> > idiot install program wipes out your library path, you have a good copy
> > revert back to.
>
> One thing you can do with all versions of Delphi from at least D5, is use
> the "-r" command-line switch. This allows you to specify the root
registry
> key to use when loading the IDE. For instance in D7, you could export the
> HKCU\Software\Borland\Delphi key to a file. Then rename the "Delphi" key
> something else, like "SafeMode". Then re-import the exported key to
> recreate the HKCU\..\Delphi key. Finally, when you run the Delphi32
> application, just pass the "-rSafeMode" switch to use that key.

That little nugget isn't documented in the D7 help under "IDE command-line
options".

It would be nice to get a complete list of command-line options into the
Help documentation...

-d

Peter Sirca

Sep 22, 2004, 7:15:06 AM9/22/04
> > One thing you can do with all versions of Delphi from at least D5, is
use
> > the "-r" command-line switch. This allows you to specify the root

> That little nugget isn't documented in the D7 help under "IDE command-line
> options".
> It would be nice to get a complete list of command-line options into the
> Help documentation...

FWIW - it is documented in D8 under "IDE Command Line Switches and Options".

Seems like Borland likes implementing features a couple of versions before
actually surfacing them to the docs - I recall seeing examples like this in
the past.

<g>
Hey, type generics are already implemented, we just have to guess the syntax
!
</g>

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

Sep 22, 2004, 8:19:22 AM9/22/04
Will DeWitt Jr. wrote:

> Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
>
> > Wow! And yes, this was a new one.
> > Wonder what the -s, -k, -q, -x, -y switches does.. :)
>
> Wonder if these are documented anywhere, or if there's a -? or /help
> option to show them all. :D

D7 has a topic in the online help, called:

"IDE command-line options"

One option is:

? Launches the IDE and displays online help for IDE command-line
options.

But it seems the -r, -s, -k, -q, -x and -y switches are not documented
there. Things like -hv and -ns are, though.

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

"UNIX is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity."
-- Dennis Ritchie

Kevin

Sep 22, 2004, 12:04:56 PM9/22/04
Allen Bauer wrote:
> One thing you can do with all versions of Delphi from at least D5, is use
> the "-r" command-line switch. This allows you to specify the root registry

Thanks for the great tip.

David S

Sep 23, 2004, 4:08:13 PM9/23/04
This happend to me a while back, and it really infuriated me. But I dug around
in the Registry a bit and discovered that the IDE actually keeps a history of
the last 20 or so library paths. You just have to fiddle with them to get back
to the one you were expecting.

-David