Codegear sold

David Wilcockson

May 7, 2008, 7:07:06 AM5/7/08
http://tinyurl.com/5c942g

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 7, 2008--Borland Software Corporation
(NASDAQ:BORL), the global leader in Open Application Lifecycle Management
(ALM), today announced preliminary financial results for the first quarter
ended March 31, 2008. Borland also announced today a definitive agreement to
sell the assets of its individual developer tools unit, CodeGear, to
Embarcadero Technologies. The purchase price for CodeGear is expected to be
approximately $23 million. Borland will also retain CodeGear's accounts
receivables with an approximate value of an additional $7 million. The
transaction is expected to close by June 30, 2008.

David Wilcockson

May 7, 2008, 7:17:57 AM5/7/08

Dean Hill

May 7, 2008, 9:05:59 AM5/7/08

Damn, if we had known that was the price, we could have bandied together
all of the customers to buy it out. Thats not a lot of money.

Don't think I like this. The good thing is that there is no SOX. On the
down side, this looks like an enterprise sales shop. There is not even
pricing on their web page. "Contact us for pricing" type of thing.

It almost feels like a mullet eating a shark.

---
Dean

--- posted by geoForum on http://delphi.newswhat.com

Dean Hill

May 7, 2008, 9:09:09 AM5/7/08
>The good thing is that there is no SOX.

Scratch that, seems like SOX is still an issue :(

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 7:34:58 AM5/7/08
I'm just downloading trial of their RapidSQL product that started company 15
years ago.
It is heavy, 165Mb.

"David Wilcockson" <dnwatlibriosdotcom> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 7:56:06 AM5/7/08
There is a lot "platform-independent" wording in synergy explanation.

And, one of buyers products is packaged as Eclipse plugin.

My download is above 90%.

David Berneda

May 7, 2008, 7:57:40 AM5/7/08
ide:
http://www.embarcadero.com/news/product_photos/RapidSQL_highres.jpg

Dean Hill

May 7, 2008, 9:46:38 AM5/7/08
Ok, my guestimations so far:

They have a turnover of around $60 million per year. That means if I
assume that with 100000 end-users they have 60000 active end-users.
Their upgrade pricing is around $1000 per year per end-user.

It would be nice to hear from the CG staff as to what they feel about
this whole thing (Letter from CEO says to ask). The more I look at it,
the more I don't like it. I fear it's more of the same. Another Borland
looking to use CG to hawk their existing products on the Delphi
bandwagon. New development in the form of adding some ET stuff to Delphi.

The letter from the CEO talks about the benefits that the IDE stuff can
bring to their Database tools and how their database stuff can make the
IDE stuff better. That sounds like Oracle Forms or one of those
products. I don't need better database stuff in Delphi, there are 100
other products already doing that.

Farshad

May 7, 2008, 8:00:18 AM5/7/08

"David Wilcockson" <dnwatlibriosdotcom> wrote in message
> http://tinyurl.com/5c942g
>
> AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 7, 2008--Borland Software Corporation
> (NASDAQ:BORL), the global leader in Open Application Lifecycle Management

Gush! If it was April 1st I'd expect it to be a joke!

Unknown

May 7, 2008, 8:08:28 AM5/7/08
Dean Hill wrote:
> I don't need better database stuff in Delphi, there
> are 100 other products already doing that.

I agree. It looks like a database shop. Can't believe they are
swallowing CG, and not the other way around.

Ivan Rakyta

May 7, 2008, 8:16:17 AM5/7/08
I hope they still keep selling it ;)

Ivan Rakyta

May 7, 2008, 8:15:03 AM5/7/08
To me it looks like they have their business dependent on Delphi and they
were tired of uncertanities, so they just bought it with the whole company
<g>

Marco Sangali

May 7, 2008, 8:23:07 AM5/7/08
I, for one, welcome our new Embarcadero overlords...

Regards,
Marco

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 8:19:56 AM5/7/08
It uses InstallShield.

Two Install Types. Worksation and Client.
Workstation works on your comp,
Client, requires Licence server, to control usage on several workstations.
Workstation requires licence file on your comp.

It asociates sql and eqb extensions.

Copying files ... Lounch RapisSQL. Checked.

Splashing takes 5-10 seconds.

After that, everything disapears.

5-10 seconds more(Core duo 2.8G, 2Mb RAm), there is application.

I have choice of IBM DB2, Oracle, MS SQL, MySql, Sybase and ODBC.

4 OCX files, and 70 JAR files.

TeeChart5 is one of OCXes. So, it uses some Delphi code.

Congrats David.

"David Berneda" <da...@steema.com> wrote in message

Anton Zhuchkov

May 7, 2008, 8:22:17 AM5/7/08
David Wilcockson wrote:

> http://www.embarcadero.com/

Well, as it says at their website title they are up to cross platform
solutions. Is it means that Delphi goes cross platform soon? ;)

Henrick Hellström

May 7, 2008, 8:26:38 AM5/7/08
Dean Hill wrote:
> Damn, if we had known that was the price, we could have bandied together
> all of the customers to buy it out. Thats not a lot of money.

The initial costs are always higher than the actual purchase price, in
particular if the seller keeps all financial assets.

yannis

May 7, 2008, 8:26:01 AM5/7/08
After serious thinking Anton Zhuchkov wrote :

nop just that they use java a lot.

regards
Yannis.

--
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell.
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 8:52:10 AM5/7/08
It dicovered and properly recognized MS SQL and IBM DB servers at my
location.

I don't know. It is not a delphi app. Uses lot of third party stuff, a whole
bunch from Tom Sawyer Software for example.

Uses both CharFX and TeeChart. Empty app takes about 50Mb.

Lot of WebBrowser control usage.

I hope that their plan is to rewrite all this in Delphi, but most probably
wishfull thinkning.

My fear is that their are after CG java stuff. Please, don't let it be a
case.

App looks good, but I have no idea how much it costs.

"Hrvoje Brozovic" <a...@c.de> wrote in message

Marc Rohloff [TeamB]

May 7, 2008, 8:54:43 AM5/7/08
On Wed, 7 May 2008 12:07:06 +0100, David Wilcockson wrote:

http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132

--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Martin Müller

May 7, 2008, 9:00:06 AM5/7/08
> App looks good, but I have no idea how much it costs.

http://www.embarcadero.com/news/reviews/1674E_SQL_EMBAeprint.pdf

Rapid SQL 7.4: Price starts at $995 for the single-platform Pro version
and $2895 for multiplatform Pro versions

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

May 7, 2008, 9:07:30 AM5/7/08
David Wilcockson wrote:

DavidI wrote about it, too:

http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a
good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
-- George Burns.

Alan Garny

May 7, 2008, 9:00:28 AM5/7/08
"David Wilcockson" <dnwatlibriosdotcom> wrote in message

Please someone wakes me up! :(

I have never heard of that company before and the fact that they seem to be
all database stuff oriented doesn't appeal to me at all. That's not what I
use Delphi for.

Those who have been claiming the end of Delphi for years might finally be
right. Time will soon tell us though!

Alan

David Champion

May 7, 2008, 9:01:54 AM5/7/08

I would like to know how much of Embarcadero Technologies is owned by Thoma Cressey Bravo. It looks to me like an investment vehicle for them.
They may grow it with more acquisitions. And its good that CodeGear is out of Borland's hands.

Delphinian

May 7, 2008, 9:09:54 AM5/7/08
> I have never heard of that company before and the fact that they seem to be
> all database stuff oriented doesn't appeal to me at all. That's not what I
> use Delphi for.
Same here. I don't need database stuff.

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

May 7, 2008, 9:16:57 AM5/7/08
Marco Sangali wrote:

> I, for one, welcome our new Embarcadero overlords...

Better them than giant ants..

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Brian

May 7, 2008, 9:30:33 AM5/7/08
Seems to me they could now put together something like a VS Team Edition For
Database Professionals!!!

I could definitely use it...

Brian Hollister

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 9:26:23 AM5/7/08
"Marco Sangali" wrote in message <news:48219f2a$2...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> I, for one, welcome our new Embarcadero overlords...

Sound more like embargo :-))

Hopefully things are changing even though and I can now download the
CodeGear products w/o the need of a local resellers in the near future.

--
cu,
Michael

Thomas Miller

May 7, 2008, 9:25:54 AM5/7/08
ER/Studio is one of the most popular database modeling tools in the
world. This is good news if you use Delphi to develop DB related
programs as this company will certainly stress that part of the
development tools product line.

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

http://programmers.cpcug.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Frank J

May 7, 2008, 9:27:01 AM5/7/08

"Troy Wolbrink" <troy.w...@ccci.org> wrote in message

>> http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132
>>

> "...In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder
> 2007; managed space - JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and
> JBuilder 2008 with Application Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for
> PHP and 3rdRail Ruby on Rails IDE."
>
> Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET
> is never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?

I think "managed space" covers it.

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 9:24:35 AM5/7/08

> http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132

"...In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder 2007;
managed space - JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and JBuilder 2008
with Application Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for PHP and 3rdRail
Ruby on Rails IDE."

Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET is
never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?

--Troy

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:27:13 AM5/7/08
"Anton Zhuchkov" <fir...@mail.ru> wrote in message

> Well, as it says at their website title they are up to cross platform
> solutions. Is it means that Delphi goes cross platform soon? ;)

EMBT has developer/database tools for Windows and also for other platforms.
Some of their products also use Eclipse framework. Delphi for now is still
focused on native code for Windows. Together we have a UNIQUE opportunity
for launching brand new products we could never have created without each
other.
David I, CodeGear

David Wilcockson

May 7, 2008, 9:34:31 AM5/7/08
> Some of their products also use Eclipse framework. Delphi for now is
> still focused on native code for Windows.

There is no mention of Delphi .NET products, and no current roadmap: is
there a future for Delphi ASP.NET and VCL.NET?

For example, in your article http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132, Delphi is
not mentioned within the managed space:

"In the native space – Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder 2007;
managed space – JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and JBuilder 2008
with Application Factories; dynamic languages – Delphi for PHP and 3rdRail
Ruby on Rails IDE"

David

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 9:34:14 AM5/7/08
Does this mean they will no longer be using the
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\BDS" registry path? ;)

--Troy

Robert Wachtel

May 7, 2008, 9:22:15 AM5/7/08
If I understand correctly Embarcadero is a private company fully owned by Thoma Cressey Bravo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarcadero_Technologies
http://www.embarcadero.com/news/press_releases/ThomaCressyEquityAcquisition.html

Robert

--
http://blog.robertsoft.de/

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:28:33 AM5/7/08
"Hrvoje Brozovic" <a...@c.de> wrote in message
> And, one of buyers products is packaged as Eclipse plugin.

With JBuilder and 3rdRail using Eclipse and EMBT also using Eclipse (as well
as Windows) there are some interesting integrations we can do.

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 9:29:13 AM5/7/08
"Robert Wachtel" wrote in message <news:4821...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> If I understand correctly Embarcadero is a private company fully owned by Thoma Cressey Bravo.

Doesn't really sound good, IMO.

--
cu,
Michael

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:31:52 AM5/7/08

> I don't know. It is not a delphi app. Uses lot of third party stuff, a
> whole bunch from Tom Sawyer Software for example.
> I hope that their plan is to rewrite all this in Delphi, but most probably
> wishfull thinkning.
> My fear is that their are after CG java stuff. Please, don't let it be a
> case.

We will work together to integrate Delphi and some of their tooling as well
as create new products. Don't fear - EMBT is excited about Delphi big time.
Some of their developers learned programming on Turbo Pascal. They are all
developers just as we are. Stay tuned for things we will do together.
Delphi can use more database design, development, and optimization tooling.
The combined company, technologies, and products will move Delphi's database
capabilities forward much faster than on our own.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:39:36 AM5/7/08
"Alan Garny" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> I have never heard of that company before and the fact that they seem to
> be all database stuff oriented doesn't appeal to me at all. That's not
> what I use Delphi for.

EMBT is a database tools company. Tools for developers, tools for DBAs. If
your Delphi application works with databases, then their DB tooling can help
you. Check out their SQL debugger and SQL profiler for example.

> Those who have been claiming the end of Delphi for years might finally be
> right. Time will soon tell us though!

Delphi is used for a lot of database application development. Combined we
will be able to integrate more database tooling into future generations of
Delphi. Delphi will be around for years and years to come.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:34:16 AM5/7/08
"Martin Müller" <use...@martinopia.com> wrote in message

> Rapid SQL 7.4: Price starts at $995 for the single-platform Pro version
> and $2895 for multiplatform Pro versions

Check out their recently announced PowerSQL Personal Edition (1 Year
Subscription)
PowerSQL - An Eclipse-based SQL IDE for application developers.
$99.00

They also have SQL Debugger and SQL Profiler. Great tools for developers
building database applications. And if you use/have a DBA - they have tools
for those members of the team too.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:37:43 AM5/7/08
"Troy Wolbrink" <troy.w...@ccci.org> wrote in message
> Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET
> is never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?

Native, Managed, and Dynamic. Covers Delphi (both Win32 and .NET), C++,
Java, PHP, Ruby. RAD Studio 2007 has Delphi .NET. Didn't mean to list all
of the languages, otherwise I could have listed Assembler, SQL, JavaScript,
etc.

Frank J

May 7, 2008, 9:42:07 AM5/7/08

"Robert Wachtel" <rwac...@gmx.de> wrote in message

> I think "managed space" covers it.

>>No, as you quoted it covers "JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse,
>>and JBuilder 2008 with Application Factories"...

They never "really" supported .NET anyway...move over to MS like I did.

Dan Downs

May 7, 2008, 9:41:52 AM5/7/08
The good or bad for codegear/delphi/etc... aside. Borland has been
trying for years to make ALM profitable and this just tells me they're
still failing. If Codegear can keep up the good work they've been doing
it seems shortsighted to sell them.

DD

Robert Wachtel

May 7, 2008, 9:38:56 AM5/7/08
Hi!

Frank J wrote:
>> "...In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder
>> 2007; managed space - JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and
>> JBuilder 2008 with Application Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for
>> PHP and 3rdRail Ruby on Rails IDE."
>>
>> Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET
>> is never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?
>
> I think "managed space" covers it.

No, as you quoted it covers "JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and JBuilder 2008 with Application Factories"...

Robert

--
http://blog.robertsoft.de/

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:35:14 AM5/7/08
"Marco Caspers" <Hexor...@Vaxor.Com> wrote in message
> Also on CodeGear Website:
> http://www.codegear.com/about/news/embt
>
> With the correct links to the pressreleases.

I updated my community letter with the correct links as well - the web team
moved the files on me.

http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 9:37:08 AM5/7/08

> Delphi can use more database design, development, and optimization
> tooling.

And hopefully with an option to not install or turn it off.

--Troy

David Wilcockson

May 7, 2008, 9:37:21 AM5/7/08
> Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET
> is never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?

This is also worrying me, especially with all the .NET stuff removed from
the current roadmap.

David

John Herbster

May 7, 2008, 9:43:59 AM5/7/08
> Borland also announced today a definitive agreement
> to sell the assets of its individual developer tools
> unit, CodeGear, to Embarcadero Technologies. ...
> transaction is expected to close by June 30, 2008. ...

I wonder if and how well Borland and Embarcadero will be
able to manage a move of the CodeGear newsgroups from
newsgroups.borland.com to another server. Further,
I wonder how well Google and other archive/search engines
will be able to adapt.
--JohnH

Robert Wachtel

May 7, 2008, 9:37:00 AM5/7/08
Hi!

Michael Fritz wrote:
> Hopefully things are changing even though and I can now download the
> CodeGear products w/o the need of a local resellers in the near future.

Did you tried to connect to the online store of Embarcadero from Germany?

Quote: "Our online store is not accessible from your location; please contact your regional Embarcadero Technologies office for immediate assistance or visit our Partner Directory to find a local reseller."

scnr ;)

Robert

--
http://blog.robertsoft.de/

Frank J

May 7, 2008, 9:40:21 AM5/7/08
How about placing some official information on the other products
newsgroups...or is Delphi the only product that will survive?

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:47:44 AM5/7/08
"Dean Hill" <no...@none.com> wrote in message
> Don't think I like this. The good thing is that there is no SOX. On the
> down side, this looks like an enterprise sales shop. There is not even
> pricing on their web page. "Contact us for pricing" type of thing.

They have developer products as well. You can go to their shop sites to
purchase. Just click on any of the Buy now links on the EMBT site. Gives
pricing, availability, etc - around the world. They are developers at
heart. They are focused on the database tools for design, development and
optimization of databases, just as we focus on tools for design development
and optimization of code. A perfect combination for real world database
application development.

Robert Wachtel

May 7, 2008, 9:50:59 AM5/7/08
Hi!

David Intersimone wrote:
> [...] We will be part of a 500 person, $100m company. [...]

Does this mean CodeGear will be merged into Embarcadero and we'll see the name "CodeGear" vanishing?

Robert

--
http://blog.robertsoft.de/

Manolis

May 7, 2008, 10:06:54 AM5/7/08
500 persons??
I thought Codegear had 350 employees and of couse with 5.000.000 developers
worldwide.
And it was sold to a company with 150 employees?

"David Intersimone" <dav...@codegear.com> wrote in message
> "Michael Fritz" <spam_...@yahoo.de> wrote in message

>>> If I understand correctly Embarcadero is a private company fully owned
>>> by Thoma Cressey Bravo.
>> Doesn't really sound good, IMO.
>

> Delphi moves forward. We will be part of a 500 person, $100m company. We
> will continue to move our developer products, especially Delphi, forward.
> And we can add capabilities and also create new products along the way.
> And we will be separated from Borland. We will still focus on developers.
> But as always, we have to continually prove to you that we can help you
> and move development forward.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:42:43 AM5/7/08
"Delphinian" <n...@no.no> wrote in message
> Same here. I don't need database stuff.

You can keep using Delphi. But maybe the Data Explorer and Visual Query
Builder in RAD Studio 2007 are not enough tooling for you in the IDE? Maybe
you need to profile your SQL if you use SQL? Maybe someone on your team
does the database modeling, refactoring, diagramming etc - they either are
already using products like DBArtisan, ER Studio, etc.

If you don't need more database development tooling, just use Delphi. But
stay tuned.

Nick Crisp

May 7, 2008, 9:46:03 AM5/7/08

> They never "really" supported .NET anyway...move over to MS like I did.

Given all the issues I have using Delphi.Net at the moment that's where I'm
off to.

Just too many bugs...

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 9:51:19 AM5/7/08

> Delphi moves forward. We will be part of a 500 person, $100m company. We
> will continue to move our developer products, especially Delphi, forward.

Will CodeGear remain an independent subsidiary? Or will it be absorbed?

--Troy

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:45:19 AM5/7/08
"Michael Fritz" <spam_...@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>> If I understand correctly Embarcadero is a private company fully owned by
>> Thoma Cressey Bravo.
> Doesn't really sound good, IMO.

Delphi moves forward. We will be part of a 500 person, $100m company. We

will continue to move our developer products, especially Delphi, forward.

John Jacobson

May 7, 2008, 9:49:45 AM5/7/08

"David Wilcockson" <dnwatlibriosdotcom> wrote in message
> http://tinyurl.com/5c942g
>
> AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 7, 2008--Borland Software Corporation
> (NASDAQ:BORL), the global leader in Open Application Lifecycle Management
> (ALM), today announced preliminary financial results for the first quarter
> ended March 31, 2008. Borland also announced today a definitive agreement
> to sell the assets of its individual developer tools unit, CodeGear, to
> Embarcadero Technologies. The purchase price for CodeGear is expected to
> be approximately $23 million. Borland will also retain CodeGear's accounts
> receivables with an approximate value of an additional $7 million. The
> transaction is expected to close by June 30, 2008.

$23 million is pretty much what I expected. Interesting that this means that
CodeGear is going to be bought by a private company, so no more watching the
stock market pummel Delphi.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:51:38 AM5/7/08
> They have a turnover of around $60 million per year. That means if I
> assume that with 100000 end-users they have 60000 active end-users.
> Their upgrade pricing is around $1000 per year per end-user.

PowerSQL Personal Edition (1 Year Subscription)
PowerSQL - An Eclipse-based SQL IDE for application developers.
$99.00

> It would be nice to hear from the CG staff as to what they feel about
> this whole thing (Letter from CEO says to ask). The more I look at it,
> the more I don't like it. I fear it's more of the same. Another Borland
> looking to use CG to hawk their existing products on the Delphi
> bandwagon. New development in the form of adding some ET stuff to Delphi.

My developer letter is posted in CDN.

> The letter from the CEO talks about the benefits that the IDE stuff can
> bring to their Database tools and how their database stuff can make the
> IDE stuff better. That sounds like Oracle Forms or one of those
> products. I don't need better database stuff in Delphi, there are 100
> other products already doing that.

DBExpress, the VCL database components, DataSnap, etc will continue to exist
and evolve/improve. Together we can add the database tooling, for those
that need/want it. We can improve the Database Explorer, Visual Query
Builder, and much more.

If Delphi has what you need (and you want more just Delphi), we will
continue developing just Delphi. Tiburon is the next step, followed by
Commodore.

Robert Wachtel

May 7, 2008, 9:52:49 AM5/7/08
Hi!

David Intersimone wrote:
> [...] You can go to their shop sites to

> purchase. Just click on any of the Buy now links on the EMBT site. Gives

> pricing, availability, etc - around the world. [...]

"Our online store is not accessible from your location; [...]"

around the world...ah, ok, yes...

Robert

--
http://blog.robertsoft.de/

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 10:02:37 AM5/7/08
"Robert Wachtel" <rwac...@gmx.de> wrote in message

"Our online store is not accessible from your location; [...]" around the
world...ah, ok, yes...

I guess some of their online shop sites are still being created. CodeGear
does not have shop sites everywhere either, yet :(

Anton Zhuchkov

May 7, 2008, 10:00:21 AM5/7/08
Troy Wolbrink wrote:

> Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET is
> never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?

Actually I think that CG can drop .NET products, we have Oxygene
(Chrome) for it with all nice stuff like compiling for CF and Mono and
much more native support.

Yes, I'm a blasphemer (a bit). <g>

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 10:04:16 AM5/7/08
"Frank J" <jam...@popo.com> wrote in message

> How about placing some official information on the other products
> newsgroups...or is Delphi the only product that will survive?

will do. typing as fast as I can, updating my letter as everyone points out
issues, talking to partners on the phone/skype, and drinking coffee all at
the same time. Anyone got some gum I can also chew?

Alan Garny

May 7, 2008, 10:02:26 AM5/7/08

> "Alan Garny" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> I have never heard of that company before and the fact that they seem to
>> be all database stuff oriented doesn't appeal to me at all. That's not
>> what I use Delphi for.
>
> EMBT is a database tools company. Tools for developers, tools for DBAs.
> If your Delphi application works with databases, then their DB tooling can
> help you. Check out their SQL debugger and SQL profiler for example.

I have no current and future interest in database stuff. The last time I had
a need for some was 13 years ago... yes, using Delphi 1...

>> Those who have been claiming the end of Delphi for years might finally be
>> right. Time will soon tell us though!
>
> Delphi is used for a lot of database application development. Combined we
> will be able to integrate more database tooling into future generations of
> Delphi. Delphi will be around for years and years to come.

It would seem that the keyword is database (as confirmed by your other
messages in this thread) and that is the original reason behind my message:
I am concerned about CG/EBMT focussing primarily on database stuff.

64-bit, multi-core, cross-platform, updated set of graphical components,
etc. are the things that interest me and have interested me for years.

Alan

John Moshakis

May 7, 2008, 10:04:50 AM5/7/08
David Wilcockson wrote:

> This is also worrying me, especially with all the .NET stuff removed
> from the current roadmap.

The dotnet roadmap is coming soon.

http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges/2008/04/23/39051

Cheers,
John

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 10:01:09 AM5/7/08
"Manolis" <manolis-...@cottonfields1.gr> wrote in message

> I thought Codegear had 350 employees and of couse with 5.000.000
> developers worldwide.

We have around 200 employees at CodeGear worldwide.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:56:54 AM5/7/08
> There is no mention of Delphi .NET products, and no current roadmap: is
> there a future for Delphi ASP.NET and VCL.NET?
>
> For example, in your article http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132, Delphi
> is not mentioned within the managed space:

> "In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder 2007;
> managed space - JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and JBuilder
> 2008 with Application Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for PHP and
> 3rdRail Ruby on Rails IDE"

My mistake, thanks for pointing it out everyone. Fixed and posted. The
paragraph now says:

Over the past two years since becoming a separate business unit of Borland,
we've been heads down, focused on delivering a steady stream of innovations
that bring value to developers and optimizing our operation for long-term
success. Innovations on several fronts: traditional market segments (native
compiled and managed code) and in the dynamic language arena (Ruby on Rails
and PHP). In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder
2007; managed space - Delphi .NET (included in RAD Studio 2007), JBuilder

2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and JBuilder 2008 with Application
Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for PHP and 3rdRail Ruby on Rails IDE.

We've really assumed a position of technology leadership in these hot areas.
CodeGear has continued to be profitable each quarter. We now have more than
3.2 million users of our products in 29 countries, which puts us among the
world's top tools providers - and the only one focused exclusively on tools.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 10:06:57 AM5/7/08

> It would seem that the keyword is database (as confirmed by your other
> messages in this thread) and that is the original reason behind my
> message: I am concerned about CG/EBMT focussing primarily on database
> stuff.
>
> 64-bit, multi-core, cross-platform, updated set of graphical components,
> etc. are the things that interest me and have interested me for years.

Product roadmaps still focus on developers, code, application development,
platform support, unicode, 64-bit, multi-core, etc. EMBT brings the
database tooling as well, for those that need it. We will continue focusing
on our code/developer product and then some.

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 10:03:58 AM5/7/08
> fixed the article - thanks for pointing it out. Paragraph now is:
>
> ... managed space - Delphi .NET (included in RAD Studio 2007) ...

Thanks!

--Troy

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 10:00:36 AM5/7/08
>Does this mean CodeGear will be merged into Embarcadero and we'll see the
>name "CodeGear" vanishing?

We will become employees of Embarcadero Technologies. The product names
will stay: Delphi, C++Builder, RAD Studio, JBuilder, etc. This is just the
definitive agreement step. There is more operational and planning work to
be done before the deal closes. Stay tuned.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:58:21 AM5/7/08
Frank J wrote:
>> "...In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder

>> 2007; managed space - JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and
>> JBuilder 2008 with Application Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for
>> PHP and 3rdRail Ruby on Rails IDE."

>> Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET
>> is never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?
>
> I think "managed space" covers it.

fixed the article - thanks for pointing it out. Paragraph now is:

Over the past two years since becoming a separate business unit of Borland,

Cody Skidmore

May 7, 2008, 10:04:15 AM5/7/08
Alan Garny wrote:
> Those who have been claiming the end of Delphi for years might finally be
> right. Time will soon tell us though!

Alan, it is easy to panic with news like this, but you need to sit tight
and see how things go. This isn't necessarily bad news for CodeGear.

I don't think Borland was ever interested in marketing Delphi. At least
their external behavior sent a lot of mixed messages about Delphi.

Think about it this way. If CodeGear was purchased by a competing tools
company, one could argue the purchase was about squashing Delphi.

Since Embarcadero's main focus is SQL tools, it is more likely they're
interested in filling out their portfolio with software development
tools. CodeGear's IDEs are complimentary IMO.

Maybe Embarcadero will fund cross-platform support for Delphi.

SoulIntruder

May 7, 2008, 10:14:11 AM5/7/08
Ok, I am gonna cry :(

Michael Bickel

May 7, 2008, 10:12:13 AM5/7/08

> I have no current and future interest in database stuff. The last time I
> had
> a need for some was 13 years ago... yes, using Delphi 1...

That's you - others like me have another opinion.

A Tool like Delphi combined with database power (like i am used from Foxpro)
sounds like heaven for me.

All in all it sounds promising for me.

Michael

Paul

May 7, 2008, 10:11:59 AM5/7/08
> Anyone got some gum I can also chew?

have put one in the CD-rack, but the computer can't detect it ...

Paul

"David Intersimone" <dav...@codegear.com> schreef in bericht

Keith Latham

May 7, 2008, 10:31:29 AM5/7/08

Dude! It'll get stuck in your beard!

Alan Garny

May 7, 2008, 10:28:52 AM5/7/08
"Cody Skidmore" <co...@NOSPAMskidmore.us> wrote in message

> Alan Garny wrote:
>> Those who have been claiming the end of Delphi for years might finally be
>> right. Time will soon tell us though!
>
> Alan, it is easy to panic with news like this, but you need to sit tight
> and see how things go. This isn't necessarily bad news for CodeGear.

I will certainly hold on and see how things go. *keeps his fingers crossed!*
:)

Alan

Michael Bickel

May 7, 2008, 10:29:58 AM5/7/08
i am sure it won't

At least it make the future of Delphi a bit more certain because i don't
think that they bought it to get rid of it straight again.

Michael

> All I am hoping for is that databases won't become the only focus of
> Delphi in the future.
>
> Alan

Farshad

May 7, 2008, 10:29:04 AM5/7/08

"Robert Wachtel"
>Quote: "Our online store is not accessible from your location; please
>contact your >regional Embarcadero Technologies office for immediate
>assistance or visit our Partner >Directory to find a local reseller."
>
>scnr ;)

Noooo! The never ending nightmare! <g>

Michael Bickel

May 7, 2008, 10:23:07 AM5/7/08
... i didn't say it can't.

But it can be improved, enhanced...

Michael

""Leonardo M. Ramé"" <marti...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > A Tool like Delphi combined with database power (like i am used from
> > Foxpro)
>

> I don't understand what you are talking about? Delphi can interact with
> any database already, effortless.
>
> Leonardo M. Ramé
> http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

na

May 7, 2008, 10:31:57 AM5/7/08

"David Intersimone" <dav...@codegear.com> wrote in message news:4821b319$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

David,
Thank you for posting here and keeping the panic down...

Now to make me feel better :)

I know we need heavy database support and that is where a good deal of programming will be
in the future. As developers we may not need to know about the file system to much. That is
fine.

But please keep support for full application development, not just database front ends.
The need for a GUI to manipulate over 4GB of data and use C++ Builder is something
we would like to have going forward.

With 64bit and Unicode fully working and supported 3rd party developers can componentize
things you never thought to add.

Thank you.

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 10:32:26 AM5/7/08
"Manolis" wrote in message <news:4821...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> 500 persons??

> I thought Codegear had 350 employees and of couse with 5.000.000 developers
> worldwide.

You guess you meant us here in this NG, right :-))

> And it was sold to a company with 150 employees?
That doesn't matter at all. Borland tried to sell CodeGear and someone had
enough money to buy them - that's it!

--
cu,
Michael

Alan Garny

May 7, 2008, 10:26:37 AM5/7/08
"Michael Bickel" <micha....@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>> I have no current and future interest in database stuff. The last time I
>> had
>> a need for some was 13 years ago... yes, using Delphi 1...
>
> That's you - others like me have another opinion.

No doubt and I fully appreciate and respect others' opinion.

> A Tool like Delphi combined with database power (like i am used from
> Foxpro)
> sounds like heaven for me.
>
> All in all it sounds promising for me.

It might for those interested in databases, but what about the rest of us
who are not? Believe it or not, but in the same way that a lot of people use
Delphi for database applications, a lot of people also use it for
non-database stuff.

DelphiUser

May 7, 2008, 10:19:54 AM5/7/08
This might be a good moment to think about finally releasing the sourcecode
of Bold for Delphi to CapableObjects!
Thank you.

And good luck for the future!
I think it's a good step.

"Leonardo M. Ramé"

May 7, 2008, 10:15:29 AM5/7/08
David, thanks for joining us here. I hope you can answer a recurring
question: What about a cross operating system Delphi compiler?. Is this
in the Embarcadero horizon?

Here in Latin America (specially in Argentina and Brazil) we see an
increasing adoption of Linux and Solaris in the healthcare and education
markets.

David Intersimone escribió:
> "Dean Hill" <no...@none.com> wrote in message
>> They have a turnover of around $60 million per year. That means if I
>> assume that with 100000 end-users they have 60000 active end-users.
>> Their upgrade pricing is around $1000 per year per end-user.
>
> PowerSQL Personal Edition (1 Year Subscription)
> PowerSQL - An Eclipse-based SQL IDE for application developers.
> $99.00
>
>> It would be nice to hear from the CG staff as to what they feel about
>> this whole thing (Letter from CEO says to ask). The more I look at it,
>> the more I don't like it. I fear it's more of the same. Another Borland
>> looking to use CG to hawk their existing products on the Delphi
>> bandwagon. New development in the form of adding some ET stuff to
>> Delphi.
>
> My developer letter is posted in CDN.
>
>> The letter from the CEO talks about the benefits that the IDE stuff can
>> bring to their Database tools and how their database stuff can make the
>> IDE stuff better. That sounds like Oracle Forms or one of those
>> products. I don't need better database stuff in Delphi, there are 100
>> other products already doing that.
>
> DBExpress, the VCL database components, DataSnap, etc will continue to
> exist and evolve/improve. Together we can add the database tooling, for
> those that need/want it. We can improve the Database Explorer, Visual
> Query Builder, and much more.
>
> If Delphi has what you need (and you want more just Delphi), we will
> continue developing just Delphi. Tiburon is the next step, followed by
> Commodore.

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 10:28:03 AM5/7/08
"Robert Wachtel" wrote in message <news:4821b088$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> Did you tried to connect to the online store of Embarcadero from Germany?
No - certainly not!

> Quote: "Our online store is not accessible from your location; please contact your regional Embarcadero Technologies office for immediate assistance or visit our Partner Directory to find a local reseller."

Oops let's hope that's not again the same story with buying CodeGear
products from oversea.
OTH I certainly don't want to buy Embarcadero products as I'm very happy
with Delphi, so this is not really a big problem for me ;-)

--
cu,
Michael

"Leonardo M. Ramé"

May 7, 2008, 10:18:10 AM5/7/08
> A Tool like Delphi combined with database power (like i am used from
> Foxpro)

I don't understand what you are talking about? Delphi can interact with
any database already, effortless.

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 10:30:12 AM5/7/08
"David Intersimone" wrote in message

> Delphi moves forward. We will be part of a 500 person, $100m company. We
> will continue to move our developer products, especially Delphi, forward.
> And we can add capabilities and also create new products along the way. And
> we will be separated from Borland. We will still focus on developers. But
> as always, we have to continually prove to you that we can help you and move
> development forward.

That sound's better ;-)

--
cu,
Michael

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 10:33:58 AM5/7/08
"Troy Wolbrink" wrote in message <news:4821afe4$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> Does this mean they will no longer be using the
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\BDS" registry path? ;)
IMO the Borland section should have been replaced long time ago by CodeGear
;-) [But this would break some existing coding I guess]

--
cu,
Michael

Cody Skidmore

May 7, 2008, 10:20:28 AM5/7/08
David Intersimone wrote:
> do together. Delphi can use more database design, development, and
> optimization tooling. The combined company, technologies, and products
> will move Delphi's database capabilities forward much faster than on our
> own.

Some folks may throw rocks at me for saying this, but having language
extensions for ORM would be great.

Ruby On Rails' approach to application development had a lot of
influence on my as a Delphi developer and I'd like to see Delphi's
future development take some cues from it.

Creating a native compiler for Ruby wouldn't hurt my feelings either. :)

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 10:18:26 AM5/7/08

>> I have no current and future interest in database stuff. The last time I
>> had
>> a need for some was 13 years ago... yes, using Delphi 1...

> That's you - others like me have another opinion.

I'm with you. I definitely use a database, I'm just not in the big
"enterprise" space. I'm a ISV and I currently use an Access 2000 (Jet 4.0)
database as my internal "document format". I also use SQL Server Express
for some other apps, but it's still shrink wrap software I deliver to others
that they run on their own. I'd like to move to VistaDB at some point, once
I convert my ADO apps to ADO.NET.

> A Tool like Delphi combined with database power (like i am used from
> Foxpro)
> sounds like heaven for me.

Maybe I'm too skeptical, but I'll have to see it to believe it!

--Troy

"Leonardo M. Ramé"

May 7, 2008, 10:23:46 AM5/7/08
Maybe they can improve the plugin subsystem, like Eclipse does, and
anyone can add/remove the needed functionality.

Dejan Stankovic

May 7, 2008, 10:35:41 AM5/7/08
David Intersimone wrote:
> Delphi moves forward. We will be part of a 500 person, $100m company.
You have been a part of similar company, then they decided to go ALM. I
just hope Delphi does not become database scripting language for ER
Studio or the like...

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 10:37:42 AM5/7/08
"Farshad" wrote in message <news:4821...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

OOHH YES FOR SURE!

--
cu,
Michael

Patrick Moloney

May 7, 2008, 10:36:33 AM5/7/08
David Intersimone wrote:

> My mistake, thanks for pointing it out everyone. Fixed and posted.
> The paragraph now says:

Does that leave InterBase as the touchy subject?

--
Patrick Moloney

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 10:40:35 AM5/7/08

> I guess some of their online shop sites are still being created. CodeGear
> does not have shop sites everywhere either, yet :(
So there is always enough space for improvements ;-)

--
cu,
Michael

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 10:36:58 AM5/7/08
"David Wilcockson" wrote in message

> sell the assets of its individual developer tools unit, CodeGear, to
> Embarcadero Technologies. The purchase price for CodeGear is expected to be
> approximately $23 million. Borland will also retain CodeGear's accounts
> receivables with an approximate value of an additional $7 million. The
> transaction is expected to close by June 30, 2008.
Will this affect the release date of the next Delphi version in any way?

--
cu,
Michael

Farshad

May 7, 2008, 10:42:23 AM5/7/08

"Michael Bickel"

> A Tool like Delphi combined with database power (like i am used from
> Foxpro)
> sounds like heaven for me.

Delphi is already armed with tremendous power to use just any database :)

d r

May 7, 2008, 10:48:12 AM5/7/08
David Intersimone wrote:
> But maybe the Data Explorer and Visual Query
> Builder in RAD Studio 2007 are not enough tooling for you in the IDE?
> Maybe you need to profile your SQL if you use SQL? Maybe someone on
> your team does the database modeling, refactoring, diagramming etc -
> they either are already using products like DBArtisan, ER Studio, etc.

But maybe my team does pure Win32 app development - *NO DATABASES*!
And maybe being bought by an private equity investment firm for peanuts
is adding insult to the injury and a sign of demise of delphi as a win32
app dev. tool?

And maybe, after all, David you should consider buying a boat or a house
on a prairie and think about retirement instead of selling us this ****!
But maybe you don't need retirement but a new database tools
salesman/evangelist position? But, maybe but, one of us is just naive...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Codegear management is swept by their new
private equity investment firm bosses within next 6 months. After all
private equity investment firms are not about great dev. tools/passion
for developers etc... their passion is for efficiency and cold hard cash!

So long David/CodeGear and thanks for all the fish!

DR

Farshad

May 7, 2008, 10:47:27 AM5/7/08

"Michael Fritz"

> That doesn't matter at all. Borland tried to sell CodeGear and someone had
> enough money to buy them - that's it!

I hope that they will buy Atozed too. So IntraWeb will become an integrated
part of the Delphi.

It is loading more messages.