The Delphi 2006/Borland Developer Studio 2006 trial is available for download

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 17, 2006, 2:03:26 AM2/17/06
This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:

http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html

--
John Kaster http://blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: http://qc.borland.com

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 17, 2006, 3:24:50 AM2/17/06
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
> This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
>
> http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html

This is one small step for Borland, a giant leap for the world's
developer community!

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

Piotr Szturmaj

Feb 17, 2006, 4:04:30 AM2/17/06
Are prerequisites the same as in D2005? They seems to...
If yes I can use my D2005 prerequsites install.

Pete Goodwin

Feb 17, 2006, 3:09:02 AM2/17/06
Ingvar Nilsen wrote:

> John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
> > This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
> >
> > http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html
>
> This is one small step for Borland, a giant leap for the world's
> developer community!

And one massive leap _backwards_ if you want online help!

--
Pete Goodwin

alf.chris...@medisinuio.no

Feb 17, 2006, 4:51:49 AM2/17/06

"John Kaster (Borland)" <jo...@borland.com> wrote in message

> This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
>
> http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html

It's a sin this release was not published before Borland announced that the
buy of this program is a dead end. I guess most people read from the Nielsen
message that the end of history has been met when it comes to Delphi/BDS
:-( What a shame.
Another tactic to ensure the verdict of stopping the development of Delphi
by Borkand is correct?

No wonder why Borland never makes it then. :-(

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 17, 2006, 3:54:02 AM2/17/06
<alf.chris...@medisinuio.no> wrote:

> It's a sin this release was not published before Borland announced
> that the buy of this program is a dead end.

Well, at least this is different than the usual FUD that "Borland will
be dead by <x>". Delphi is not a dead end, and has a better future now
than it did before the decision and subsequent announcement.

The team is already working on new versions, and updates to Delphi 2006
to make it even better.

Oliver Townshend

Feb 17, 2006, 4:55:44 AM2/17/06
> It's a sin this release was not published before Borland announced that
> the buy of this program is a dead end. I guess most people read from the
> Nielsen message that the end of history has been met when it comes to
> Delphi/BDS

We did? Must have read a different message from you...

> :-( What a shame.
> Another tactic to ensure the verdict of stopping the development of Delphi
> by Borkand is correct?

No. Quite the opposite in fact.

> No wonder why Borland never makes it then. :-(

My brain hurts. What exactly are you saying?

Oliver Townshend

samuel herzog

Feb 17, 2006, 5:19:33 AM2/17/06
I have downloaded D2006 Trial and then I wanted to Install it.

First I must say that I am only interested in the IDE and Win32 at the
moment.
Unfortuneally the the setup ask's to install some Mircrosoft #J stuff.
before I can continue with installation.

Since I don't want to install tons of unneeded stuff on my computer I have
stopped this installation for D2006.

If there will be a setup one day which let's me choose what I want to
install then I might try again.

Sorry.

alf.chris...@medisinuio.no

Feb 17, 2006, 5:27:25 AM2/17/06

> <alf.chris...@medisinuio.no> wrote:
>
>> It's a sin this release was not published before Borland announced
>> that the buy of this program is a dead end.
>
> Well, at least this is different than the usual FUD that "Borland will
> be dead by <x>". Delphi is not a dead end, and has a better future now
> than it did before the decision and subsequent announcement.

Perhaps not well formulated from my part :-)
But, when the CEO announce that Borland will drop the IDE (that is, sell it
to someone who step forwards), many potensial buyers will not have a look at
the product at all. No smoke without fire to say it that way.

Are you all guaranteed that the product will continue to be developen in
California. Outsourcing is a popular strategy in these days, that is, most,
if not all development will be done in places where intelligent people do
the work at a wage at 1/100 of what it is other places. Like in India,
East-Europe countries (where our industry is moving, except ASK LCD which
was forced to be sold and now is made in China instead of Fredrikstad. (The
owner stated in an interview afterwards that he felt his life was threatened
if he did not obey and sell the shares)

Pete Fraser

Feb 17, 2006, 5:33:20 AM2/17/06
You need J# for the IDE to work properly.
Together, which is used for refactoring in the IDE along with modelling etc,
is written in J# and so you *do* need to install it. Also some of the IDE
is written in .NET so you will need to download that as well (if you
don't already have it)
I wouldn't stop the installation just because of this. You don't know
what you are missing. I certainly wouldn't go back to the old ways.

Rgds Pete

"samuel herzog" <samuel...@nospam.roche.com> wrote in message

Ryan McGinty

Feb 17, 2006, 5:37:34 AM2/17/06
> I wouldn't stop the installation just because of this. You don't know
> what you are missing. I certainly wouldn't go back to the old ways.

Ditto!

Ryan

Oliver Townshend

Feb 17, 2006, 5:58:15 AM2/17/06
> Unfortuneally the the setup ask's to install some Mircrosoft #J stuff.
> before I can continue with installation.
>
> Since I don't want to install tons of unneeded stuff on my computer I have
> stopped this installation for D2006.

Seems a fairly weak excuse to me.

Oliver Townshend

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 17, 2006, 6:14:09 AM2/17/06
Oliver Townshend wrote:

It is either practical (size of binaries) or "religious". A lot of
programmers seems to have personal feelings about this and that, which
is understandable. Take me, I don't drink coffee, and because if that, I
have never programmed in Java.

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 17, 2006, 6:20:50 AM2/17/06
Oliver Townshend wrote:

It is either practical (size of binaries) or "religious". A lot of
programmers seem to have personal feelings about this and that, which is
understandable. Take me, I don't drink coffee, and because of that, I

Message has been deleted

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 17, 2006, 6:19:26 AM2/17/06
Pete Goodwin wrote:

Writing documentation is an ENORMOUS endeavour for this kind of product.
It is obvious that Borland has not allocated the resources to have this
done properly. BDS 2006 in general gives the impression of being a too
large prey to swallow for Borland R&D, as it has been.

I was commenting on releasing the trial, which is GOOD!
Borland/DevCo MUST attract new customers, they need more Delphi
first-timers.

Ramona van Riet

Feb 17, 2006, 5:18:29 AM2/17/06
At 10:51:49, 17.02.2006, <alf.chris...@medisinuio.no> wrote:

> "John Kaster (Borland)" <jo...@borland.com> wrote in message
> > This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
> >
> > http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html
>
> It's a sin this release was not published before Borland announced that
> the buy of this program is a dead end.

Do you know something no one else knows? I thought the developer (IDE)
products part of Borland will be divided out as a new company?
--
Ramona

roman modic

Feb 17, 2006, 6:19:09 AM2/17/06
Hello!

"samuel herzog" <samuel...@nospam.roche.com> wrote in message news:43f5...@newsgroups.borland.com...

>I have downloaded D2006 Trial and then I wanted to Install it.
>
> First I must say that I am only interested in the IDE and Win32 at the
> moment.
> Unfortuneally the the setup ask's to install some Mircrosoft #J stuff.
> before I can continue with installation.

So if setup would automatically install MS J# stuff without asking you,
then you would install Delphi 2006...

Regards, Roman

samuel herzog

Feb 17, 2006, 6:28:37 AM2/17/06
Good point !
Probably yes ...

By the way, I also don't visit webpages which start with a screen like " You
need to install this or that plug-in".

Oliver Townshend

Feb 17, 2006, 6:28:40 AM2/17/06
> It is either practical (size of binaries) or "religious". A lot of
> programmers seem to have personal feelings about this and that, which is
> understandable. Take me, I don't drink coffee, and because of that, I have
> never programmed in Java.

I don't worship Greek Gods, but I do use Delphi and Oracle

Oliver Townshend

Ryan McGinty

Feb 17, 2006, 6:51:15 AM2/17/06
> By the way, I also don't visit webpages which start with a screen like

So you don't use anything written in .NET, or anything requiring Quicktime,
or Flash, or Acrobat, or...

Ryan

Ramona van Riet

Feb 17, 2006, 5:51:33 AM2/17/06
At 12:28:37, 17.02.2006, samuel herzog wrote:

> Good point !
> Probably yes ...
>
> By the way, I also don't visit webpages which start with a screen like
> " You need to install this or that plug-in".

Delphi is not a website you visit for a few minutes. All this "I don't
want .NET on my computer" etc. doesn't make any sense to me.

Perhaps you don't want to burden your customers, but as a developer, I
don't see a reason not to install what is required to make something
you'll probably be using to make money, run.
--
Ramona

Ramona van Riet

Feb 17, 2006, 5:48:02 AM2/17/06
At 11:19:33, 17.02.2006, samuel herzog wrote:

> Unfortuneally the the setup ask's to install some Mircrosoft #J stuff.
> before I can continue with installation.
>
> Since I don't want to install tons of unneeded stuff on my computer

It is obviously not unneeded, if the IDE requires it. ;-)
--
Ramona

Oliver Townshend

Feb 17, 2006, 7:11:21 AM2/17/06
> So you don't use anything written in .NET, or anything requiring
> Quicktime, or Flash, or Acrobat, or...

Not to mention Java.

Oliver Townshend

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 17, 2006, 7:27:17 AM2/17/06
Ryan McGinty wrote:

FWIW, many companies, especially larger corporations, prohibit this

Stephane Wierzbicki

Feb 17, 2006, 7:48:33 AM2/17/06
samuel herzog a écrit :

> I have downloaded D2006 Trial and then I wanted to Install it.
>
> First I must say that I am only interested in the IDE and Win32 at the
> moment.
> Unfortuneally the the setup ask's to install some Mircrosoft #J stuff.
> before I can continue with installation.
>
> Since I don't want to install tons of unneeded stuff on my computer I have
> stopped this installation for D2006.
>
> If there will be a setup one day which let's me choose what I want to
> install then I might try again.
>
> Sorry.

Since you can remove all of this at a later time I REALLY DON'T
UNDERSTAND YOU...

John Jacobson

Feb 17, 2006, 9:11:24 AM2/17/06
samuel herzog <samuel...@nospam.roche.com> wrote in message
<43f5...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Unfortuneally the the setup ask's to install some Mircrosoft #J stuff.
> before I can continue with installation.
>
> Since I don't want to install tons of unneeded stuff on my computer I have
> stopped this installation for D2006.

LOL. It looks like you will soon be leaving Windows development for something
where you don't need to use any Microsoft technology at all. Good luck in your
new pursuit.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.4.2071

Stephane Wierzbicki

Feb 17, 2006, 9:28:52 AM2/17/06
Why did he install Microsoft Windows ? , it is full of non wanted
services / applications ???

Brad White

Feb 17, 2006, 9:34:51 AM2/17/06
"Pete Fraser" <pete.nospam....@frasersoft.nospam.net> wrote in
message news:43f5a57e$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> You need J# for the IDE to work properly.
> Together, which is used for refactoring in the IDE along with modelling
> etc,
> is written in J# and so you *do* need to install it. Also some of the IDE
> is written in .NET so you will need to download that as well (if you
> don't already have it)
> I wouldn't stop the installation just because of this. You don't know
> what you are missing. I certainly wouldn't go back to the old ways.

Nice post Pete.

--
Thanks,
Brad.

Brad White

Feb 17, 2006, 9:36:38 AM2/17/06
"Pete Goodwin" <bdn.R...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message

> Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
>
>> John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
>> > This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
>> >
>> > http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html
>>
>> This is one small step for Borland, a giant leap for the world's
>> developer community!
>
> And one massive leap _backwards_ if you want online help!

From where? D2005?

Compared to what? The help that comes with the normal D2006?
--
Thanks,
Brad.

alf.chris...@medisinuio.no

Feb 17, 2006, 10:31:18 AM2/17/06

"Ramona van Riet" <Ramona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Do you know something no one else knows? I thought the developer (IDE)
> products part of Borland will be divided out as a new company?

Just bad experience with blood thirsty share traders/"investors", both
personally and as a citizen in a country where government seemingly applaud
such activities. (Now it is our hydropower plants that are at risk. Gaining
control of them is marvellous for the share keepers profit. Since most
citizens here cannot choose some other way to keep the cold out of house,
the power plant owners may increase price freely. As long as electicity
quota in the Nordic market is sold in a trade market (kraftbørs), where
those selling power to the consumer buy quota from the producers, the
electricity sellers bidding the highest price get that quota, thus ensuring
that electric power is sold at the highest market price possible. So when it
is cold, price is skyrocketing and share holders are very happy.
Especially if they live abroad and is not hit by the increased prices :-)

David Farrell-Garcia

Feb 17, 2006, 10:01:41 AM2/17/06
<alf.chris...@medisinuio.no> wrote:

> It's a sin this release was not published before Borland announced
> that the buy of this program is a dead end.

it is a sin to misquote and spead FUD. Please show me one link where
Borland announced this.

--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Posted with XanaNews 1.17.6.6

Joe Hendricks

Feb 17, 2006, 11:08:06 AM2/17/06
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
> This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:

Excellent !

I love my architect version and recommend the trial for
rhose considering it !

JoeH

Pete Goodwin

Feb 17, 2006, 10:15:56 AM2/17/06
Brad White wrote:

> "Pete Goodwin" <bdn.R...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message

> > > This is one small step for Borland, a giant leap for the world's
> > > developer community!
> >

> > And one massive leap backwards if you want online help!

> From where? D2005?
>
> Compared to what? The help that comes with the normal D2006?

Delphi 7. I've logged a few QC's on this.

--
Pete Goodwin

iain

Feb 17, 2006, 11:14:52 AM2/17/06
will the trial run ok on a 2.8Mhz Celeron laptop with 256 MB RAM?

TIA
Iain

"John Kaster (Borland)" <jo...@borland.com> wrote in message

> This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
>
> http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html
>

> --
> John Kaster http://blogs.borland.com/johnk
> Features and bugs: http://qc.borland.com
> Get source: http://cc.borland.com
> If it's not here, it's not happening: http://ec.borland.com

Preston

Feb 17, 2006, 11:27:25 AM2/17/06
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> Delphi is not a dead end, and has a better future now
> than it did before the decision and subsequent announcement.
>
> The team is already working on new versions, and updates to Delphi 2006
> to make it even better.

John you might as well make that part of your signature.. seeing as
everyone needs reassurace for some reason.

Wayne Niddery [TeamB]

Feb 17, 2006, 11:45:44 AM2/17/06
iain wrote:
> will the trial run ok on a 2.8Mhz Celeron laptop with 256 MB RAM?

The processor is fine, so it should run ok, but with 256MB it might be a
little sluggish. Definitely consider doubling (at least) your memory.

RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks.html
"The two most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity." - Harlan Ellison

Warren Postma

Feb 17, 2006, 11:43:00 AM2/17/06
iain wrote:
> will the trial run ok on a 2.8Mhz Celeron laptop with 256 MB RAM?

2.8 mhz is way too slow, but 2.8 ghz would be fine! <grin>

And 256 mb ram is too tight except if you disable the dotNet and
together personalities/plugins/bits, or whatever you're not going to
use. If you can update it to 512mb you'd be a slightly happier camper.
1 gb is good for normal daily use, and 2 gb is better. :-)

Warren

Holger Flick

Feb 17, 2006, 12:06:37 PM2/17/06
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] wrote:
> The processor is fine, so it should run ok, but with 256MB it might be a
> little sluggish. Definitely consider doubling (at least) your memory.

Considering that if you load a simple .NET app about 500 MB vanish into
thin air, 256 MB is a not enough.

--
Holger

Blog: http://www.flickdotnet.de

J. Lee

Feb 17, 2006, 12:12:29 PM2/17/06
People, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not hijack threads!
If you have problems and want to vent them, start a new thread--that way
I can choose not to read about a dead horse being beat, and beat, and beat.

~J. Lee

> And one massive leap _backwards_ if you want online help!

Michael Gillen

Feb 17, 2006, 11:23:38 AM2/17/06
Holger Flick wrote:

> Considering that if you load a simple .NET app about 500 MB vanish into
> thin air, 256 MB is a not enough.

Not to mention that the IDE uses .NET.

--
-Michael Gillen

Randy Magruder

Feb 17, 2006, 11:28:57 AM2/17/06
Let it go, Louie, Let it go...
--

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
>
> > John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> > > This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
> > >
> > > http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html
> >

> > This is one small step for Borland, a giant leap for the world's
> > developer community!
>

> And one massive leap backwards if you want online help!

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 17, 2006, 11:57:22 AM2/17/06
Preston wrote:

> John you might as well make that part of your signature.. seeing as
> everyone needs reassurace for some reason.

Good suggestion. I can understand the need for reassurance in times of
uncertainty, but with all the information we're putting out on this
topic, it should be very easy to find that reassurance online already.

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 17, 2006, 11:59:36 AM2/17/06
iain wrote:

> will the trial run ok on a 2.8Mhz Celeron laptop with 256 MB RAM?

I think minimum recommendation is 512MB. In our tests, I think the IDE
did function in 256MB of RAM, but the experience was not the snappy
response we would like people to have.

alf.chris...@medisinuio.no

Feb 17, 2006, 1:53:36 PM2/17/06

> it is a sin to misquote and spead FUD. Please show me one link where
> Borland announced this.

I have still not seen any buyer mentioned. Only that Borland has decided to
sell. As long as noone is buying, most people don't dare buy the product.
People learn. Such a statement is 1. warning of removal of a product from
market because it has no commercial interest anymore to the major share
owner who want to maximize profit by selling out or put down totally any
effort on the product said to be sold.

It would be a tragedy if the majority share owners just kick out such a
product, just to be sure that shares make more profit. In general, there are
two kind of share owners. Those who has a belief in the products produced
and those who invest in order to get a maximum profit when selling their
shares. To get that goal, they try to divide in object in parts, sell out or
put down any product that is not being the thing giving most profit, and
when leaving, only one or two are left, or they drive the object bankrupt
and take with them all left over patents for almost free.

A very old lesson is maybe the takeover of Arendalvarven in Gothenburg in
the late 50'ies or early 60'ies where a genious man had a bright idea on how
to make bulk tankers of the real big kind. Instead of fitting the boat
within the docks where it was built (dock set the maximum length of the
boat), he tried to do it opposite, just having a wide portal, moving the
ship as it was built.
When the shipyard was in full production, and all money bound in metal etc.,
the big investor decided it was due time to pay a big chunk of the loan and
the owner did go bankrupt. The investor then got the rest very cheap and the
man with the idea was without employment.

(It reminds me about something recently)

alf.chris...@medisinuio.no

Feb 17, 2006, 1:57:49 PM2/17/06

> And 256 mb ram is too tight except if you disable the dotNet and
> together personalities/plugins/bits, or whatever you're not going to
> use. If you can update it to 512mb you'd be a slightly happier camper.
> 1 gb is good for normal daily use, and 2 gb is better. :-)

With 512 Mb you still have to stop most procedures running in background,
like antivirus program and other taking lot of power. (Just be sure you are
unhooked from the net if you kill all antivirus software)

If you have DDR or DDR2 modules, consider upgrading to 2 GB ASAP.
If not, consider buying a new one with DDR2 RAM, and be sure to fill the
computer to it's maximum.

I have 512 in mine, and it is mostly swapping all the time :-(

Dejan Staniè

Feb 17, 2006, 1:09:12 PM2/17/06
Oliver Townshend wrote:
> I don't worship Greek Gods, but I do use Delphi and Oracle

Delphi isn't name for Greek god.
Neither is Oracle.

LP,
Dejan

Anders Ohlsson (Borland)

Feb 17, 2006, 3:26:41 PM2/17/06
How's this?

> John you might as well make that part of your signature.. seeing as
> everyone needs reassurace for some reason.

--
Anders Ohlsson - http://blogs.borland.com/ao/

Delphi ROCKS! It's alive and well! Trial is available!
New versions are being worked on! The team is doing well!

http://homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/#disclaimer

Joe Hendricks

Feb 17, 2006, 3:55:58 PM2/17/06
Anders Ohlsson (Borland) wrote:
> How's this?

Nice :-)
JoeH

Kevin B

Feb 17, 2006, 4:08:08 PM2/17/06
Anders Ohlsson (Borland) wrote:

LOL! :-)

John Wester [Group W]

Feb 17, 2006, 4:11:19 PM2/17/06
In article <43f6308d$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>, aohl...@borland.com
says...

> How's this?
>
> > John you might as well make that part of your signature.. seeing as
> > everyone needs reassurace for some reason.
>

> Delphi ROCKS! It's alive and well! Trial is available!
> New versions are being worked on! The team is doing well!

Film at 11.
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Ramona van Riet

Feb 17, 2006, 3:16:58 PM2/17/06
At 21:26:41, 17.02.2006, Anders Ohlsson (Borland) wrote:

> Anders Ohlsson - http://blogs.borland.com/ao/
>
> Delphi ROCKS! It's alive and well! Trial is available!

> New versions are being worked on! The team is doing well,
except for Allen who has a slight cold, Mark who has a sore butt
from biking, DavidI who is on a diet and John who bit on a stone in a bun.

;-)
--
Ramona

Jon Robertson

Feb 17, 2006, 4:12:16 PM2/17/06
<alf.chris...@medisinuio.no> wrote:

> With 512 Mb you still have to stop most procedures running in
> background, like antivirus program and other taking lot of power.
> (Just be sure you are unhooked from the net if you kill all antivirus
> software)
>

> I have 512 in mine, and it is mostly swapping all the time :-(

I have a 1.8Ghz P4 Inspiron 8200 laptop with 768MB RAM. On a regular
basis, I have all these running at once: Delphi 6, Delphi 2006,
StarTeam, Outlook, and SQL Server 2000. Now, I do have my SQL Server
throttled so it won't use more than 384MB. It actually runs under 5MB
working storage most of the time.

Anyway, my machine runs pretty well in this environment. Now, if I
close both Delphis and StarTeam, and open a browser and a dozen browser
windows, my machine slows to a crawl. Go figure.

--
Jon Robertson
Borland Certified Advanced Delphi 7 Developer

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 17, 2006, 5:22:11 PM2/17/06
"Anders Ohlsson (Borland)" <aohl...@borland.com> wrote in message

> http://homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/#disclaimer

No alcohol, dogs, or horses?

A sequiter amidst the non-sequiters:
articles are ribbed for your pleasure; possible penalties for early
withdrawal;
?
--

Download the latest draft (version 1.27, updated 2/2/2006) of
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: A Shared Mosaic of U.S. History"

Brad White

Feb 17, 2006, 5:52:07 PM2/17/06
"Ramona van Riet" <Ramona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I'm going to have to read that disclaimer closer next time.
I missed all of that.

brad.

Oliver Townshend

Feb 17, 2006, 5:52:15 PM2/17/06
> I have a 1.8Ghz P4 Inspiron 8200 laptop with 768MB RAM. On a regular
> basis, I have all these running at once: Delphi 6, Delphi 2006,
> StarTeam, Outlook, and SQL Server 2000. Now, I do have my SQL Server
> throttled so it won't use more than 384MB. It actually runs under 5MB
> working storage most of the time.

I've throttled my SQL Server back to 40MB. Seems fine for development.

Oliver Townshend

Oliver Townshend

Feb 17, 2006, 5:50:55 PM2/17/06
> FWIW, many companies, especially larger corporations, prohibit this

Worked for one of those. The day after I upgraded everyone in my office to
XP SP2 (we all telecommute so this wasn't easy) we received the corporate
newsletter which included a copy of the company's policy about not upgrading
to XP SP2 because they still hadn't tested it. I'm pretty sure SP2 had been
out for a while at that point.

Oliver Townshend

Brad White

Feb 17, 2006, 5:45:44 PM2/17/06

> Brad White wrote:
>> "Pete Goodwin" <bdn.R...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
>> > And one massive leap backwards if you want online help!
>> >

>> From where? D2005?
>>
>> Compared to what? The help that comes with the normal D2006?
>
> Delphi 7. I've logged a few QC's on this.

So have I. And they are fixed in 2006.
I still don't see what the problem is, and what this has to do with the
trial.

--
Thanks,
Brad.

John Jacobson

Feb 17, 2006, 9:04:28 PM2/17/06
Ramona van Riet <Ramona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<xn0eiln8...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Mark who has a sore butt
> from biking

That is easily solved by getting a recumbent bike.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.4.2073

zeke2.0

Feb 17, 2006, 7:54:30 PM2/17/06
Dejan Stani wrote:

Yes, but those who did believe went to them for advice:)

Ramona van Riet

Feb 17, 2006, 8:04:24 PM2/17/06
At 03:04:28, 18.02.2006, John Jacobson wrote:

> Ramona van Riet <Ramona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <xn0eiln8...@newsgroups.borland.com>
> > Mark who has a sore butt
> > from biking
>
> That is easily solved by getting a recumbent bike.

It was only an example of a possible extension to his rather generalizing
statement. ;-)

I know men who have such a bike, but somehow I don't think we look good
on them.
--
Ramona

Ryan McGinty

Feb 17, 2006, 11:04:11 PM2/17/06
> FWIW, many companies, especially larger corporations, prohibit this

If they can't install prerequisites like .NET, then they probably will not
be able to install ANYTHING on their local PC. That is the empolyer's fault,
not the Delphi trial.

Ryan

Chee Wee Chua (Borland Support)

Feb 17, 2006, 11:40:56 PM2/17/06
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:53:36 +0100, <alf.chris...@medisinuio.no>
wrote:

>> it is a sin to misquote and spead FUD. Please show me one link where
>> Borland announced this.
>
>I have still not seen any buyer mentioned. Only that Borland has decided to
>sell. As long as noone is buying, most people don't dare buy the product.

I'm pretty sure you've familiar with US SEC rules, which in a
nutshell, states that Borland is not allowed to reveal potential buyer
identities... hence, leading to your conclusion that there's no buyer.

http://www.sec.gov/interps/legal/slbcf4.txt to quote portions of it:
The Division has recognized the following as
examples of valid business purposes for a spin-off:

* allowing management of each business to focus
solely on that business;

* providing employees of each business stock-based
incentives linked solely to his or her employer;

* enhancing access to financing by allowing the
financial community to focus separately on each
business; or

* enabling the companies to do business with each
other's competitors.

In our view, there is not a valid business purpose for a
spin-off when the purpose is:

* creating a market in the spun-off securities
without providing adequate information to the
shareholders or to the trading markets;

* the creation of a public market in the shares of a
company that has minimal operations or assets; or

* the creation of a public market in the shares of a
company that is a development stage company that has no
specific business plan or whose business plan is to
engage in a merger or acquisition with an unidentified
company.

For more information, so you can spin more FUD for this ng, visit:
http://www.sec.gov/

Chee Wee Chua (Borland Support)

Feb 17, 2006, 11:45:02 PM2/17/06
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:14:52 -0000, "iain" <iainn...@iain.com>
wrote:

>will the trial run ok on a 2.8Mhz Celeron laptop with 256 MB RAM?

I recommend a faster processor, than 2.8MHz. Maybe 2.8GHz would be
fine. ;o)

As for memory, 1 GB RAM for a comfortable experience.

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 18, 2006, 4:25:28 AM2/18/06
Ramona van Riet wrote:
>> Andres Ohlsson:

>> The team is doing well!

> It was only an example of a possible extension to his rather
> generalizing statement. ;-)

And a good one!
We sometimes make jokes here (in Norway) about Americans, about what
would happen if people *really* started to answer the ubiquitous
question "how are you".

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 18, 2006, 4:36:18 AM2/18/06
Oliver Townshend wrote:

>>FWIW, many companies, especially larger corporations, prohibit this
>

> Worked for one of those. The day after I upgraded everyone in my office to
> XP SP2 (we all telecommute so this wasn't easy) we received the corporate
> newsletter which included a copy of the company's policy about not upgrading
> to XP SP2 because they still hadn't tested it.

It is understandable though. The mission critical offices in the big
Norwegian oil industry is told to be completely isolated from the
outside world, no Internet and the like. Any bug, any virus causing
downtime would mean millions of $ (not to mention millions of NOK <g>).

I was also told that employees when entering these offices were searched
from bottom to top. For guns? No. For bombs? No. For drugs? No. They
were searched for diskettes and CDs!!

Pete Goodwin

Feb 18, 2006, 8:06:41 AM2/18/06
Brad White wrote:

> "Pete Goodwin" <bdn.R...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
> > Brad White wrote:
> >>"Pete Goodwin" <bdn.R...@TO.REPLY.imekon.org> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > From where? D2005?
> > >
> > > Compared to what? The help that comes with the normal D2006?
> >
> > Delphi 7. I've logged a few QC's on this.
> >

> So have I. And they are fixed in 2006.
> I still don't see what the problem is, and what this has to do with
> the trial.

The one's I spotted are in Delphi 2006.

I was commenting on an earlier post: "a giant leap for the world's
developer community!"

What, broken help?

--

Pete Goodwin

klunk

Feb 19, 2006, 12:04:24 AM2/19/06
"John Kaster (Borland)" <jo...@borland.com> wrote:
> This trial download is based on Delphi 2006 Architect, Update 1:
>
> http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html

I downloaded the trial but don't have time to install and test
it for awhile (maybe a couple of weeks).

When does the 30-day period start? On first use, or when the
license email was issued along with the download?

Thanks.
-Jeff

John Jacobson

Feb 19, 2006, 12:42:44 AM2/19/06
Ramona van Riet <Ramona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<xn0eim7h...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> I know men who have such a bike, but somehow I don't think we look good
> on them.

Why?

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.4.2081

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 18, 2006, 11:38:29 PM2/18/06
klunk wrote:

> When does the 30-day period start? On first use, or when the
> license email was issued along with the download?

Not positive, but I believe it's from the email time.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: http://qc.borland.com
Get source: http://cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: http://ec.borland.com

alf.chris...@medisinuio.no

Feb 20, 2006, 4:18:16 PM2/20/06

"Ramona van Riet" <Ramona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anyone at that team not hurt or in any other way out of business??

Ramona van Riet

Feb 20, 2006, 5:06:40 PM2/20/06

It was just a joke, going from "the team is doing well". ;-)

--
Ramona