Best Book or reference to start programing ASP.Net in Delphi?

Chester

Jul 31, 2006, 4:43:50 PM7/31/06
I have seen there are some Delphi 2006 books out there covering the .NET
stuff:
Delphi for .NET Developer's Guide
by Xavier Pacheco

.NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers
by Jon Shemitz

Inside Delphi 2006
by Ivan Hladni "

Witch one is the Best reference for ASP.NET using Delphi Pascal.?

TObject

Jul 31, 2006, 4:54:03 PM7/31/06

"Chester" <he...@allmail.com> wrote in message news:44ce6b82$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Delphi for .NET Developer's Guide
> by Xavier Pacheco

> .NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers
> by Jon Shemitz

I can briefly comment on these two. Xavier's book is good, covers multiple aspects
of Delphi for .NET and can be used for learning ASP.NET in combination
with help files and MSDN articles. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

".NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers" is not a Delphi book, it is a book for Delphi
programmers who want to learn .NET. I have just started reading this book,
it seems to be very good, but if you need a Delphi book, then this is not it.

Bob Swart

Jul 31, 2006, 5:47:54 PM7/31/06
Hi Chester,

> Witch one is the Best reference for ASP.NET using Delphi Pascal.?

More expensive than the regular books is my Delphi 2006 courseware
manual on ASP.NET (but it's almost 200 pages now purely on ASP.NET with
Delphi 2006, including exercises and answers (in the back)). Normally
only available in my training classes, but available now for purchase
for those who are unable to attend...

In august there will be a new edition (almost ready now), which will be
sent to all developers who already purchased the Delphi 2006 version by
the way (in case some of them are reading this and wonder about the
increase in page size ;-)).

Groetjes,
Bob Swart

Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://drbob42.com/weblog.xml
New Delphi 2006 Courseware e-books at http://www.eBob42.com/courseware

Jon Shemitz

Jul 31, 2006, 9:18:47 PM7/31/06
TObject wrote:

> ".NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers" is not a Delphi book, it is a book for Delphi
> programmers who want to learn .NET. I have just started reading this book,
> it seems to be very good, but if you need a Delphi book, then this is not it.

That's true, it's not a Delphi book, though I do have Delphi examples
in every chapter; there is a chapter on DfN syntax (courtesy of
Hallvard Vassbotn); and I do have Delphi Notes all through the book,
covering various Delphi quirks.

It's also got virtually no coverage of ASP. I do have a few footnotes
about the different handling of static variables under ASP, and domain
neutral vs domain bound, but that's about it.

--

.NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers www.midnightbeach.com/.net
Delphi skills make .NET easy to learn In print, in stores.

Robin

Jul 31, 2006, 9:31:06 PM7/31/06
Chester wrote:
> I have seen there are some Delphi 2006 books out there covering the .NET
> stuff:
> Delphi for .NET Developer's Guide
> by Xavier Pacheco
>
> ..NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers

> by Jon Shemitz
>
> Inside Delphi 2006
> by Ivan Hladni "
>
> Witch one is the Best reference for ASP.NET using Delphi Pascal.?

There is also Mastering Delphi 2005 by Marco Cantu.

I own the mastering and .net developers guides. Let me start by saying
that both are excellent in their overall coverage. As far as ASP.NET
content goes, I think Xavier's is the pick. It is in D8 but don't let
that turn you off too much.

As it turns out, I now tend to read C# documentation. It is
*EVERYWHERE* and not difficult to mentally translate. IMHO the most
confusing part is the variable declarations strewn throughout the code.
Once you get used to the mess this creates it is a breeze. :-)

Then I use the Delphi books to help pinpoint and translate things I have
trouble understanding.

The volumes of C# info and their specific nature (There are i depth
books on JUST one topic, rather then a book covering a general sweep of
stuff) makes them hard to beat.

For instance, I recently taught myself .NET remoting. The chapters in
the Delphi books gave me a taste, but didn't go far enough. I bought a
C# book on specifically this topic and it all became very clear, very
quickly.

+0.02

--
Robin.

Jon Robertson

Jul 31, 2006, 10:29:11 PM7/31/06
Robin wrote:

>As it turns out, I now tend to read C# documentation.

>It is EVERYWHERE and not difficult to mentally translate.

And then there's BabelCode:

http://dotnet.borland.com/babelcode/

David Clegg

Jul 31, 2006, 10:35:04 PM7/31/06
Jon Robertson wrote:

> And then there's BabelCode:
>
> http://dotnet.borland.com/babelcode/

And there's even IDE integration for BabelCode

http://cc.borland.com/Item.aspx?id=21856

There are unmanaged and managed versions of the add-in in the download,
but I'd recommend using the unmanaged one as it provides a better level
of IDE integration (dockable form which can be saved with IDE desktops).

--
Cheers,
David Clegg

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Where's the 'Any' Key?" - Homer Simpson

TObject

Aug 1, 2006, 1:23:51 AM8/1/06

"Jon Shemitz" <j...@midnightbeach.com> wrote in message news:44CEABF...@midnightbeach.com...

> That's true, it's not a Delphi book, though I do have Delphi examples
> in every chapter; there is a chapter on DfN syntax (courtesy of
> Hallvard Vassbotn); and I do have Delphi Notes all through the book,
> covering various Delphi quirks.

Ether way, I enjoy reading your book. It's one of rare to find these days
programming books that is not simply copy and paste from the code editor
with a few notes sprinkled in between.

".NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers" is a conceptually solid work that
examines .NET architecture in depth (as much as space allows),
and not a cheap 'read it today then throw it away tomorrow' title.

I'll make sure to write a complete review when I am finished,
but so far I am very impressed. Thank you very much for bringing
the book to market.

Jon Shemitz

Aug 1, 2006, 1:38:44 AM8/1/06
TObject wrote:

> Ether way, I enjoy reading your book. It's one of rare to find these days
> programming books that is not simply copy and paste from the code editor
> with a few notes sprinkled in between.
>
> ".NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers" is a conceptually solid work that
> examines .NET architecture in depth (as much as space allows),
> and not a cheap 'read it today then throw it away tomorrow' title.
>
> I'll make sure to write a complete review when I am finished,
> but so far I am very impressed. Thank you very much for bringing
> the book to market.

Thank you! That's a great review in itself.

OK, everyone, you heard the man. Go buy my book. ;-)

Tom Reiertsen

Aug 1, 2006, 6:46:40 AM8/1/06

> OK, everyone, you heard the man. Go buy my book. ;-)

Done! :)

Tom

Leif Eirik Olsen

Aug 1, 2006, 9:19:12 AM8/1/06
"Jon Shemitz" <j...@midnightbeach.com> skrev i melding

> TObject wrote:
>
> OK, everyone, you heard the man. Go buy my book. ;-)

Done:)

Leo

Tom Reiertsen

Aug 1, 2006, 9:27:13 AM8/1/06

"Leif Eirik Olsen" <leif-eirik.olsen@_REMOVE_plugging.com> wrote in message

> Done:)
>
> Leo

Fra Os utenfor Bergen?

Tom

Leif Eirik Olsen

Aug 1, 2006, 9:35:26 AM8/1/06
"Tom Reiertsen" <t...@reiertsen.com> skrev i melding

Nei, Stavanger her :)

Leo

Dag Fjeld Edvardsen

Aug 1, 2006, 9:52:14 AM8/1/06
Hyggelig at det er flere nordmenn her!

- Dag (fra Drammen)

Venkatesh VT

Aug 1, 2006, 11:51:27 AM8/1/06
I have built my web site totally by reading the following

-Developer's guide by Xavier Pacheo

-Mastering Delphi 2005 by Cantu

-Asp Net strategies articles by Nick Hodges

-Few C#/vb.net asp.net artcilces from the web concerning CAPTCH images,Hit
counter etc

Form authenitcation,role based authorisation etc were from the books & rest
from the articles

How ever I found that the two delphi books are more than adquate to start
with

But the book by .NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers
by Jon Shemitz is a must read since it is the best book to understand the
.Net concepts(though i am yet to understand all)

Overall we are in a position today to write asp.net applications with delphi

Actually during one of the courses that I had conducted,one of the students
was so impressed with delphi asp.net that he has planned to write all his
company's future applications with delphi asp.net & his customer is ' Indian
railways'.

Venkatesh

Randy Magruder

Aug 1, 2006, 11:56:04 PM8/1/06
Chester opined:

Avoid the first one (by Jon Shemitz). It's not interested in doing
anything but making a C# programmer out of you, and slamming VCL.NET as
only good for porting apps. Basically the guy is out to convert
everyone to C# and FCL .... so if you want to keep using Delphi for
.NET, you might consider getting Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi 2005
book (along with his 2006 PDFs on his site).

Randy

Randy Magruder

Aug 1, 2006, 11:56:05 PM8/1/06
Jon Shemitz opined:

> Thank you! That's a great review in itself.
>
> OK, everyone, you heard the man. Go buy my book. ;-)

I made my decision to avoid your book like the plague when I saw the
agenda behind in it and the fallacious comments about VCL.NET being
only good for porting, and how all NEW development should be done with
FCL only.

Randy

ram...@bigpond.net.au

Aug 2, 2006, 12:29:29 AM8/2/06
"Randy Magruder" <randy.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> Jon Shemitz opined:

>> OK, everyone, you heard the man. Go buy my book. ;-)

> I made my decision to avoid your book like the plague when I saw the
> agenda behind in it and the fallacious comments about VCL.NET being
> only good for porting, and how all NEW development should be done with
> FCL only.

Jon's words are good advice.
However, if you are one of the faithful-rusted-on, his words might upset you.

Robin

Aug 2, 2006, 12:59:10 AM8/2/06
Randy Magruder wrote:
> Avoid the first one (by Jon Shemitz). It's not interested in doing
> anything but making a C# programmer out of you, and slamming VCL.NET as
> only good for porting apps. Basically the guy is out to convert
> everyone to C# and FCL .... so if you want to keep using Delphi for
> ..NET, you might consider getting Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi 2005

> book (along with his 2006 PDFs on his site).

Damn, Now I have to buy it so I can read it and have an opinion :-S

--
Robin.

Tom Reiertsen

Aug 2, 2006, 3:25:49 AM8/2/06

"Dag Fjeld Edvardsen" <dfe who is located on byggforsk dot no> wrote in
message news:44cf...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Hyggelig at det er flere nordmenn her!
>
> - Dag (fra Drammen)

Definitivt. Vi burde lage en liste slik at vi fikk oversikten. Går lang tid
mellom hver gang jeg treffer andre som driver med Delphi. Utover høsten
kommer vi til å prøve å få i gang en slags brukergruppe her i Bergen for de
som jobber med produktet, kanskje vi i den forbindelse kunne utvidet litt og
fått med liste over andre personer/firma som også kan være interessert.

Hilsen

Tom

IanH

Aug 2, 2006, 4:06:44 AM8/2/06
Venkatesh VT wrote:

> Actually during one of the courses that I had conducted,one of the
> students was so impressed with delphi asp.net that he has planned to
> write all his company's future applications with delphi asp.net & his
> customer is ' Indian railways'.

Now that IS a big customer ;-)

Ian

Dag Fjeld Edvardsen

Aug 2, 2006, 4:06:56 AM8/2/06
Kjempeide! Jeg vet for egen del bare om to andre som
bruker Delphi i Norge (utover å se noen norskklingende navn
på nyhetsgruppen). Jeg bruker Delphi meste til "scientific
computing", det samme med en av de andre jeg kjenner til.
Den tredje lager et avansert økonomistyringsprogram i Delphi.

Enig i at vi burde prøve å lage en slik liste!

- Dag

"Tom Reiertsen" <t...@reiertsen.com> wrote in message

Ingvar Nilsen

Aug 2, 2006, 5:14:42 AM8/2/06
Tom Reiertsen wrote:

> "Dag Fjeld Edvardsen" <dfe who is located on byggforsk dot no> wrote

> > Hyggelig at det er flere nordmenn her!

[..]
> Utover hxsten kommer vi til e prxve e fe i gang

Norwegian? <g>

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

Tom Reiertsen

Aug 2, 2006, 6:05:34 AM8/2/06
"Ingvar Nilsen" <no....@ingvarius.com> wrote in message

> Tom Reiertsen wrote:
>

>> "Dag Fjeld Edvardsen" <dfe who is located on byggforsk dot no> wrote
>> > Hyggelig at det er flere nordmenn her!
> [..]
>> Utover hxsten kommer vi til e prxve e fe i gang
>
> Norwegian? <g>

Indeed. In fact, I have taken it upon myself to create a Norwegian Delphi
User Group. Just minutes ago I registered ndug.no, I suppose I can get some
pages up and running over the weekend. Every Norwegian Delphi user is
welcome to join. Just mail me at this address or wait for an announcement to
register on the website whenever it's ready for use.

Ideas for content, organizational structure and forums are welcome.

Tom

Ingvar Nilsen

Aug 2, 2006, 8:25:37 AM8/2/06
Tom Reiertsen wrote:

> Indeed. In fact, I have taken it upon myself to create a Norwegian
> Delphi User Group. Just minutes ago I registered ndug.no

There used to be such a group, in Oslo(?) with the nice name NOBUG
(Norwegian Borland User Group).

It is a great initiative, BTW.
You should post a new thread when it is ready

> Ideas for content, organizational structure and forums are welcome.

I admire your energy, even a small site requires a lot of work.
The first idea that comes to me, is that you'd better write the site in
Visual Studio 2005 <g>. Then I can assist :-)

Then I want a link to my web site, I will very soon now release for
free my DelphiComments tool (for source code commenting).

Tom Reiertsen

Aug 2, 2006, 9:03:38 AM8/2/06

> I admire your energy, even a small site requires a lot of work.
> The first idea that comes to me, is that you'd better write the site in
> Visual Studio 2005 <g>. Then I can assist :-)

I would like to use something like DotNetNuke or similar. Anyone know if
this can be used with Delphi.Net? If not, I would either have to write
something myself (time consuming), find a Delphi/Delphi .Net alternative or
bite the bullet and go for VS. That would be a sad thing though :)

Tom

Brian Moelk

Aug 2, 2006, 9:42:09 AM8/2/06
Randy Magruder wrote:
> Avoid the first one (by Jon Shemitz).

It's the second on the list.

> It's not interested in doing
> anything but making a C# programmer out of you, and slamming VCL.NET as
> only good for porting apps.

IMO, even if you intend to use Delphi for .NET and VCL.NET, the book is
still quite good for learning .NET concepts. I don't see the author
"slamming" VCL.NET, but he is clear about his opinion. AFAICS, he
barely mentions VCL.NET and when he does he states why his opinion is
what it is; the reader can disagree.

> Basically the guy is out to convert
> everyone to C# and FCL .... so if you want to keep using Delphi for

> ..NET,

Simply because the author advocates a particular development path,
doesn't mean the book itself is not a good reference for those wishing
to learn .NET from a Delphi developer's perspective. IMO, it's valuable
even if one develops with Delphi for .NET and VCL.NET.

IMO, one shouldn't be afraid of knowledge. Jon Shemitz' book is
imparting knowledge. I trust that developers are smart enough to form
their own opinions. Do you agree with everything that you read? Does
disagreement mean there is nothing to learn/gain from reading it?

If Delphi users are persuaded to use C# and FCL solely based on his
recommendation and text, then Delphi for .NET has serious problems.
IOW, if Delphi for .NET needs its users to remain ignorant or sheltered
for it to survive, it wont survive very long. Delphi for .NET and
VCL.NET has to stand on their own merits and be resilient enough for its
users to be knowledgeable within the .NET world.

> you might consider getting Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi 2005
> book (along with his 2006 PDFs on his site).

Indeed, Marco Cantu is a fine author.

--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Dag Fjeld Edvardsen

Aug 2, 2006, 10:26:58 AM8/2/06
Intraweb ?

- Dag

Bob Dawson

Aug 2, 2006, 10:45:24 AM8/2/06
"Tom Reiertsen" wrote

> I would like to use something like DotNetNuke or similar. Anyone
> know if this can be used with Delphi.Net?

Might look at this
http://cc.borland.com/Item.aspx?id=23342

lurkio

Aug 2, 2006, 11:00:16 AM8/2/06
Tom Reiertsen wrote:

> I would like to use something like DotNetNuke or similar. Anyone know if
> this can be used with Delphi.Net?

We use DotNetNuke for our Intranet and AFAICS you /should/ be able to
integrate your own Delphi.NET content with few problems - I've got DNN
pages integrating pretty seamlessly with static HTML pages, IntraWeb
applications (native flavour Delphi), Java applets, etc.

The only issue I would see would be the framework version (the latest
DNN is based on 2.0) and I'm not 100% sure how well it (or IIS) plays
with non-latest version content on the same server. /I think/ that you
would either have to let your Delphi.NET content float up to use the
latest framework version or use a compiler switch to target the 2.0
framework when building from Delphi.

(BTW, IntraWeb kicks a** - give that a look as well <g>)

> If not, I would either have to write something myself (time consuming),
> find a Delphi/Delphi .Net alternative or bite the bullet and go for VS.
> That would be a sad thing though :)

Do not overestimate the power of the Dark side... :-)

Derek Davidson

Aug 2, 2006, 10:53:59 AM8/2/06
Randy Magruder wrote:

> Avoid the first one (by Jon Shemitz). It's not interested in doing
> anything but making a C# programmer out of you, and slamming VCL.NET
> as only good for porting apps. Basically the guy is out to convert
> everyone to C# and FCL .... so if you want to keep using Delphi for
> .NET, you might consider getting Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi 2005
> book (along with his 2006 PDFs on his site).

Whoa there Randy. Pretty damning indictment. Just because you don't
want a way to progress beyond VCL.NET doesn't mean that others don't.

Quite apart from anything else, I see no investment in VCL.NET at the
moment whereas I see significant investment in C# and FCL. Is it good
advice to suggest a migration path from one to the other? I'll leave
that for the reader to decide.

--
Derek Davidson

Bob Dawson

Aug 2, 2006, 11:27:41 AM8/2/06
"Derek Davidson" wrote

> Whoa there Randy. Pretty damning indictment. Just because you
> don't want a way to progress beyond VCL.NET doesn't mean
> that others don't.

Now for a more balanced view:

Randy's charge of language bias is fully justifed--Jon clearly seems to have
got religion about C#, and consistently glosses its quirks, while
exagerating Delphi's. Guilty as charged.

That said, however, the first half or so of the book is one of the best
explanations of .NET fundamentals I've come across, and makes the book well
worth reading for any Delphi programmer contemplating (or worrying about)
the move from Win32 to .NET. There's more than enough there to make it worth
while gritting your teeth once in a while.

bobD

Brad White

Aug 2, 2006, 2:51:16 PM8/2/06
"lurkio" <sp...@no.thanks> wrote in message

> Tom Reiertsen wrote:
>> If not, I would either have to write something myself (time consuming),
> > find a Delphi/Delphi .Net alternative or bite the bullet and go for VS.
> > That would be a sad thing though :)
>
> Do not overestimate the power of the Dark side... :-)
Meaning how much power you would get by going over,
or how much power they have to draw developers in?

--
Curious,
Brad.

David Clegg

Aug 2, 2006, 4:32:57 PM8/2/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

> That said, however, the first half or so of the book is one of the
> best explanations of .NET fundamentals I've come across, and makes
> the book well worth reading for any Delphi programmer contemplating
> (or worrying about) the move from Win32 to .NET.

Have you read Jeffrey Richters 'Applied .NET Framework Programming'
book? If so, how does Jon's book compare to that? The former is my all
time favourite .NET reference book.

--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dcl...@gmail.com
http://cc.borland.com/Author.aspx?ID=72299

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Oh, well, of course, everything looks bad if you remember it." - Homer
Simpson

lurkio

Aug 3, 2006, 6:13:41 AM8/3/06

Definitely the former - the latter is well established,
unfortunately :-(

Bob Dawson

Aug 3, 2006, 11:02:28 AM8/3/06
"David Clegg" wrote

> Have you read Jeffrey Richters 'Applied .NET Framework Programming'
> book?

Yes. Also have the new edition (retitled 'CLR via C#', which covers .NET
2.0), but haven't had a chance to open that yet.

> If so, how does Jon's book compare to that? The former is
> my all time favourite .NET reference book.

To my mind Richter is still at the top of the heap as a programmer's
reference once you get in and start working.

For a .NET contemplator or beginner, though, Jon's book is much more
readable. It tends to explain how the CLR works from a broad conceptual
perspective. It explains the design concepts and how they work, with some
emphasis on performance and the new programming paradigms that the existence
of the CLR environment affords. Very finely tuned, in my view, for its
stated audience: Delphi programmers that haven't seriously dived into .NET
yet, don't see why they should, or worry about making the transition to a
managed environment.

Richter is probably a better text for long term reference, but he doesn't
cover the big 'why' questions to the same extent--he just tends to assume
you already are (or want to be) a .NET programmer and need to get better at
it. Shemitz is a better introductory apologist: not so much a programmer's
reference, but much better at explaining the why, and why it matters. That
said, it's not 'just theory'--Jon does provide a lot of little test programs
for demo-ing concepts and the effects of different approach variations, but
these are subordinate details for 'seeing the big picture.'

bobD

Kyle A. Miller

Aug 4, 2006, 7:01:19 PM8/4/06
Chester wrote:
> I have seen there are some Delphi 2006 books out there covering the .NET
> stuff:
> Delphi for .NET Developer's Guide
> by Xavier Pacheco

That's a good one I recommend.

The other is, believe it or not, The ECO III book. What I like about its
coverage of ASP.NET is how it goes a little more in depth of using the
controls in real world scenarios rather than sticking with simplistic
exercises. You can download the evaluation PDF for free and read it. As
bonus, you get to play with ECO. :-)

http://www.ecospace.de/58.html

There are a number of ASP.NET articles at About.com too.
http://delphi.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=asp.net&SUName=delphi&TopNode=3176&type=1
http://tinyurl.com/humxo

rbwinston

Aug 5, 2006, 11:18:32 PM8/5/06
Jon Shemitz <j...@midnightbeach.com> wrote:

>TObject wrote:
>
>> Ether way, I enjoy reading your book. It's one of rare to find these days
>> programming books that is not simply copy and paste from the code editor
>> with a few notes sprinkled in between.
>>
>> ".NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers" is a conceptually solid work that
>> examines .NET architecture in depth (as much as space allows),
>> and not a cheap 'read it today then throw it away tomorrow' title.
>>
>> I'll make sure to write a complete review when I am finished,
>> but so far I am very impressed. Thank you very much for bringing
>> the book to market.

>Thank you! That's a great review in itself.
>

>OK, everyone, you heard the man. Go buy my book. ;-)

You're too late; I already bought it.

Jon Shemitz

Aug 5, 2006, 11:37:31 PM8/5/06
> You're too late; I already bought it.

Thanks, that's good. I've been wondering, though, at what seems a low
review rate. Is it just summer, or do people trail out somewhere in
the FCL or C# sections, and never really get to the end?

If you (foreach reader) started reading my .NET book and stopped
before you finished, where and why'd you stop?

--

.NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers www.midnightbeach.com/.net
Delphi skills make .NET easy to learn In print, in stores.

rbwinston

Aug 6, 2006, 6:31:59 PM8/6/06
Jon Shemitz <j...@midnightbeach.com> wrote:

>> You're too late; I already bought it.
>
>Thanks, that's good. I've been wondering, though, at what seems a low
>review rate. Is it just summer, or do people trail out somewhere in
>the FCL or C# sections, and never really get to the end?
>
>If you (foreach reader) started reading my .NET book and stopped
>before you finished, where and why'd you stop?

I am currently reading the section on Reflection. I have not stopped
reading it but it is taking a while to get through all of it.

Hadi Hariri

Aug 6, 2006, 6:58:36 PM8/6/06

> If you (foreach reader) started reading my .NET book and stopped
> before you finished, where and why'd you stop?

I still haven't received it, despite them getting in touch with me to
tell me they've shipped it again.

Ralf Mimoun

Aug 6, 2006, 8:00:48 PM8/6/06
Jon Shemitz wrote:

> If you (foreach reader) started reading my .NET book and stopped
> before you finished, where and why'd you stop?

Sorry, but I got it on Friday. I hope I'll get through this week and send
the review to the editor.

Ralf

Graham

Aug 6, 2006, 11:05:54 PM8/6/06
When I go to Amazon.ca, it says that the book is a special order. But
I'm sure that a couple of days ago, when I checked, it simply said that
the book was unavailable. And amazon.com (which has it in stock) won't
ship to Canada.

Graham

Jon Shemitz

Aug 7, 2006, 1:07:05 AM8/7/06
Graham wrote:

> When I go to Amazon.ca, it says that the book is a special order. But
> I'm sure that a couple of days ago, when I checked, it simply said that
> the book was unavailable. And amazon.com (which has it in stock) won't
> ship to Canada.

I got mail from a Canadian, late last month, asking about this. I
wrote to Amazon.ca, and they changed it from not yet printed to in
print. I don't know why the special order status - perhaps they
haven't sold many books with Delphi in the title over the last few
years - but I'd bet that if enough people ordered it, it would
automatically switch over to "only 5 left - more on the way" mode.

John Kaster (Borland/DevCo)

Aug 7, 2006, 1:29:52 AM8/7/06
Jon Robertson wrote:

> And then there's BabelCode:
>
> http://dotnet.borland.com/babelcode/

That reminds me I need to set up a redirect for that. The new site is
http://lingua.borland.com/babelcode/ and it is far more reliable since
it's load balanced.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: http://qc.borland.com

Chester

Aug 7, 2006, 8:04:33 PM8/7/06
when is this module(babelcode) going to be avalable as stand alone program?
or is it going to be integrated into Delphi?

David Clegg

Aug 7, 2006, 9:10:57 PM8/7/06
Chester wrote:

> when is this module(babelcode) going to be avalable as stand alone
> program? or is it going to be integrated into Delphi?

Marc Rohloff has an IDE add-in that manipulates the CodeDOM directly,
so no internet connection is required to use it.

http://cc.borland.com/Item.aspx?id=21834

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your
karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV." -
Homer Simpson

John Kaster (Borland/DevCo)

Aug 8, 2006, 12:15:07 AM8/8/06
Chester wrote:

> when is this module(babelcode) going to be avalable as stand alone
> program?

The web service is, and always has been, available. The one on "lingua"
has been updated to the latest codedom, too.