PNGDelphi Method Shop Code Samples

Ryan J. Mills

May 9, 2008, 12:22:37 PM5/9/08
These code samples have now been loaded up to CodeCentral.

Here is the ID and Link:

ID: 25631

Ryan.

albert drent

May 9, 2008, 1:16:34 PM5/9/08
Ryan J. Mills schreef:
Is the original sourceforge code still somewhere available?

albert

Hamer

May 10, 2008, 7:43:41 AM5/10/08

The original project is now officially removed from Sourceforge by Gustavo
Daud.
I have the PNG Delphi implementation version 1.535. This version has all the
features I need, without the AVs in newer versions under Win98.

I can put this (modified) version on Codeplex? My implementation uses
ZLib1.dll as a separate process instead of embedding this library as obj
files in every application.

Anyway, vote for these QC entries:
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=53672
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=29542
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=955

Ryan J. Mills

May 10, 2008, 9:46:32 AM5/10/08
I have a modified v1.56x that works on Win98 with out raising an AV. It doesn't have
support for external zlib.dll support. I'd kinda like to see that.

Ryan.

Ryan J. Mills

May 10, 2008, 9:47:52 AM5/10/08
One question, did Gustavo Daud really remove it himself??

Why would he stop the project?

Ryan.

Ryan J. Mills

May 10, 2008, 9:49:38 AM5/10/08
The package I've uploaded is the last snapshot of all of the pages.

The PNGObject package code is still there for the time being, but I'm not sure
for how much longer. If it disappears I might put my copy of it up in CC as well.

Ryan.

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 10, 2008, 12:19:53 PM5/10/08
Ryan J. Mills wrote:

> Why would he stop the project?

Hmmmm. I wonder why. ;-)

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Pieter Zijlstra

May 10, 2008, 1:25:16 PM5/10/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> Ryan J. Mills wrote:
>
> > Why would he stop the project?
>
> Hmmmm. I wonder why. ;-)

QC #955 Closed (well almost) ?-)

--
Pieter

Ryan J. Mills

May 11, 2008, 9:54:41 AM5/11/08
Gee Nick,

I found your comment to be really enlightening. Thanks for the reply.

I obviously asked the question, because I don't know the reason.

Maybe it would be more helpful on your part to explain it, if you know the
answer, than giving a smart reply.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Mark Vaughan

May 11, 2008, 11:51:34 AM5/11/08
Ryan J. Mills <_rmcon...@mills-enterprise.ca> wrote in

thanks, Ryan

--

Mark Vaughan

Chris Rolliston

May 11, 2008, 4:20:28 PM5/11/08
> Gee Nick,
>
> I found your comment to be really enlightening. Thanks for the reply.
>
> I obviously asked the question, because I don't know the reason.
>
> Maybe it would be more helpful on your part to explain it, if you
> know the answer, than giving a smart reply.

Is it really that difficult to figure out...? (Cf.
http://melander.dk/delphi/gifimage#status)

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 11, 2008, 7:13:57 PM5/11/08
Ryan J. Mills wrote:

> Maybe it would be more helpful on your part to explain it, if you
> know the answer, than giving a smart reply.

Ryan --

Sorry, didn't mean it to come out that way.

I'm not allowed to talk about specific features for future releases.

That hopefully will change in the next 30 days or so.

Bill Athon

May 11, 2008, 8:23:10 PM5/11/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:
> Ryan J. Mills wrote:
>
>> Maybe it would be more helpful on your part to explain it, if you
>> know the answer, than giving a smart reply.
>
> Ryan --
>
> Sorry, didn't mean it to come out that way.
>
> I'm not allowed to talk about specific features for future releases.
>
> That hopefully will change in the next 30 days or so.

However, by not answering you he just answered you, get it now. ;)

Pieter Zijlstra

May 11, 2008, 9:38:06 PM5/11/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> That hopefully will change in the next 30 days or so.

Thanks! ;-)

--
Pieter

Ryan J. Mills

May 12, 2008, 12:49:17 PM5/12/08
Hi Chris,

It wasn't the fact that it was tough to figure out. Once he said it I pretty much knew
what was going on, but that wasn't the point of my comment.

The point in my comment still stands, I would appreciate a helpful comment rather than
getting a non-helpful, smart, reply.

No offence Chris, but I would probably classify your comment in the same manner.

I don't normally respond to posts such as yours because I don't normally care. In
Nick's case I had to make an exception. For the simple fact of who he is and what
his position represents. If I knew Nick better or if the thread was of a more
humorous subject, then I probably wouldn't have said anything, or I might have
responded in kind.

Further more why do you care if I found his reply inappropriate and commented on
it? Would it kill anyone (everyone) to show a little more respect to people in general?

Ryan.

Mike Orriss

May 12, 2008, 3:32:06 PM5/12/08
Ryan J. Mills wrote:

> I don't normally respond to posts such as yours because I don't
> normally care. In Nick's case I had to make an exception. For the
> simple fact of who he is and what his position represents. If I knew
> Nick better or if the thread was of a more humorous subject, then I
> probably wouldn't have said anything, or I might have responded in
> kind.

FWIW (and probably not a lot), when I read Nick's comment my immediate
thought was "ah, he knows something good, but he is not at liberty to
say". Whether my interpretation is correct, I haven't got the foggiest
idea. :)

> Further more why do you care if I found his reply inappropriate and
> commented on it? Would it kill anyone (everyone) to show a little
> more respect to people in general?

Does that respect extend to Nick too? Did you consider why he replied
like he did?

--
Mike

Chris Rolliston

May 12, 2008, 3:57:29 PM5/12/08
> It wasn't the fact that it was tough to figure out. Once he said it
> I pretty much knew what was going on, but that wasn't the point of my
> comment.

So, you gathered his meaning yet still felt the need to accuse Nick
of... well, I'm not quite sure. His response to you appeared friendly
to me, undeserving of a reply that was 'all up in arms' about his
manner.

> The point in my comment still stands, I would appreciate a helpful
> comment rather than getting a non-helpful, smart, reply.

The choice from Nick's point of view was (I assume) either to make a
friendly but coy reply or no reply at all. Presumably, he expected you
would understand this - it's not as if your command of written English
is poor at all, for instance, otherwise Nick would probably have taken
the alternative option and just stay silent.

Ryan J. Mills

May 12, 2008, 4:12:33 PM5/12/08
On 12 May 2008 12:32:06 -0700, "Mike Orriss" <m...@3kcc.co.uk> wrote:

>FWIW (and probably not a lot), when I read Nick's comment my immediate
>thought was "ah, he knows something good, but he is not at liberty to
>say". Whether my interpretation is correct, I haven't got the foggiest
>idea. :)

How you interpreit it and ho

>Does that respect extend to Nick too? Did you consider why he replied
>like he did?

Yes it does. Where the difference in his answer and my answer comes in, AFAIAC, is
that while I had a smart reply in my response I also provided feedback saying that
from him, implying his position, I really felt another answer would have been more
appropriate if he was going to reply at all.

Does that make any sense?

Ryan.

Ryan J. Mills

May 12, 2008, 4:28:33 PM5/12/08
Thanks Nick.

Ryan.

Ryan J. Mills

May 12, 2008, 4:27:45 PM5/12/08
On 12 May 2008 12:57:29 -0700, "Chris Rolliston" <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>So, you gathered his meaning yet still felt the need to accuse Nick
>of... well, I'm not quite sure. His response to you appeared friendly
>to me, undeserving of a reply that was 'all up in arms' about his
>manner.

I didn't accuse him of anything. Please don't put words in my mouth.

After responding in kind, which I probably should not have done,
I asked him to provide a more helpful answer to questions, if he was
going to respond, than the type of one liner he provided.

>The choice from Nick's point of view was (I assume) either to make a
>friendly but coy reply or no reply at all. Presumably, he expected you
>would understand this - it's not as if your command of written English
>is poor at all, for instance, otherwise Nick would probably have taken
>the alternative option and just stay silent.

This is one of the common problems with this type of communication medium.
Generally you (I) have to have more knowledge of the person your communicating
with to be able to detect "friendly but coy" replys. If you don't have that kind
of previous experience with that person even a simple statement such as
what Nick made can be taken in multiple ways based on as simple a thing
as what's happening in your life at the time you read it.

While my response may not have been the best it could have been, I
don't regret sending it.

Ryan.

hpw

May 13, 2008, 1:26:59 AM5/13/08
The answer is that simple...

> Why would he stop the project?

CG will support it on the next release....

> One question, did Gustavo Daud really remove it himself??

may it made for him no more sence to do the bugfixes due the missing time...

while others (CG) to it for him (support & fixes)

hp

Hamer

May 13, 2008, 2:12:29 AM5/13/08
>> Why would he stop the project?
>
> CG will support it on the next release....
>
>> One question, did Gustavo Daud really remove it himself??
>
> may it made for him no more sence to do the bugfixes due the missing
> time...
>
> while others (CG) to it for him (support & fixes)

That will be is nice. TPNGImage was released under GPL, so CodeGear has to
publish the improved units. And we, users of Delphi 2007, can use these
modifications too!

But I don't think CodeGear derives from this PNGImage. The following comment
is (anonymously) made on the original project website:
Its closed because the project isn't active any more (no one is working on
it).

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=116012&aid=1559286&group_id=16012

Jouni Aro

May 13, 2008, 8:55:15 AM5/13/08
Hamer wrote:
>>> Why would he stop the project?
>>
>> CG will support it on the next release....
>>
>>> One question, did Gustavo Daud really remove it himself??
>>
>> may it made for him no more sence to do the bugfixes due the missing
>> time...
>>
>> while others (CG) to it for him (support & fixes)
>>

> That will be is nice. TPNGImage was released under GPL, so CodeGear has to
> publish the improved units. And we, users of Delphi 2007, can use these
> modifications too!

I suppose the component creator has full rights and may license it to
CodeGear any way he likes. So it does not need to be GPL, if bundled
with Delphi - although it can still be...

> But I don't think CodeGear derives from this PNGImage. The following
> comment
> is (anonymously) made on the original project website:
> Its closed because the project isn't active any more (no one is working on
> it).

At least not in that project...

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 13, 2008, 11:56:46 AM5/13/08
Hamer wrote:

> TPNGImage was released under GPL

I don't believe that this is true.

Brandon Staggs

May 13, 2008, 12:41:38 PM5/13/08
"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" wrote on 13 May 2008 08:56:46 -0700:

> Hamer wrote:
>
>> TPNGImage was released under GPL
>
> I don't believe that this is true.

My copy of the license.txt file doesn't mention the GPL. It's
essentially a typical FAIB license.

Delphi really does need native PNG support, including alpha channel
blending...

--
Brandon Staggs
http://www.swordsearcher.com

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 13, 2008, 12:52:48 PM5/13/08
Brandon Staggs wrote:

> Delphi really does need native PNG support, including alpha channel
> blending...

I couldn't agree more.

Hamer

May 14, 2008, 3:28:28 AM5/14/08

> My copy of the license.txt file doesn't mention the GPL. It's
> essentially a typical FAIB license.

You are right. The license was 'Other/Proprietary License'.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070214145957/http://sourceforge.net/projects/pngdelphi

> Delphi really does need native PNG support, including alpha channel
> blending...

True.

Hamer

May 14, 2008, 9:09:53 AM5/14/08

>> ID: 25631
>>
>> Ryan.
> Is the original sourceforge code still somewhere available?
>
> albert

Here:
http://www.codeplex.com/PNGImage

Hamer

May 14, 2008, 9:15:03 AM5/14/08
>I have a modified v1.56x that works on Win98 with out raising an AV. It
>doesn't have
> support for external zlib.dll support. I'd kinda like to see that.
>
> Ryan.

The FAIB licence prohibits publishing a modified version. I thought it was
licensed under GPL, but I was wrong.

Publishing a copy of the original version is allowed:
http://www.codeplex.com/PNGImage

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

May 14, 2008, 9:48:43 AM5/14/08
Hamer wrote:

> The FAIB licence prohibits publishing a modified version. I thought
> it was licensed under GPL, but I was wrong.

Er, you're publishing this under Ms-RL
(http://www.codeplex.com/PNGImage/license)? I don't think you can do
that, unless you own it.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

May 14, 2008, 12:51:50 PM5/14/08
OK, so he's violated the copyright. I'll cancel the posts linking to
it, since it's effectively pirated as well as posted in violation of
its original licnese. In the meantime, you might want to read this:

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyrtInfrg.htm

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

May 14, 2008, 1:42:37 PM5/14/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> Hamer wrote:
>
> > Here:
> > http://www.codeplex.com/PNGImage
>
> Do you know who posted that? Since we now own the code, no one but us
> is allowed to post the code with a different license.

What about code that was downloaded before you owned it? Shouldn't that
be distributable?

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible
worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell

Andrew Fiddian-Green

May 17, 2008, 9:43:58 AM5/17/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> I'm not allowed to talk about specific features for future releases.

Nick, since we are (not) on the subject, I wonder if you could *not*
talk about TJPEGImage too? Of course it is nice having the TJPEGImage
class as a .dcu but it would be real nice to have JPEG.pas source code
too...

> That hopefully will change in the next 30 days or so.

Wow. That soon?

AndrewFG

Hamer

May 17, 2008, 11:01:06 AM5/17/08

> Nick, since we are (not) on the subject, I wonder if you could *not*
> talk about TJPEGImage too? Of course it is nice having the TJPEGImage
> class as a .dcu but it would be real nice to have JPEG.pas source code
> too...

Source is here:
C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\source\TJPEGImage\src

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 17, 2008, 9:41:34 PM5/17/08
Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:

> Of course it is nice having the TJPEGImage class as a .dcu but it
> would be real nice to have JPEG.pas source code too...

?? You do have all the source for TJPEGImage.

> Wow. That soon?

Embarcadero has announced that they want to close the deal by 30 June.

Jan Derk

May 18, 2008, 6:33:35 AM5/18/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> > Of course it is nice having the TJPEGImage class as a .dcu but it
> > would be real nice to have JPEG.pas source code too...

> ?? You do have all the source for TJPEGImage.

Niels Haeck has a JPEG component fully written in Delphi. Plus it supports a
lot of features that TJPEGImage does not, like CMYK, lossless rotation etc.

http://www.simdesign.nl/nativejpg.html

Maybe you can cut a deal with him. A superior native JPEG implementation would
certainly be a welcome feature.

Jan Derk

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 18, 2008, 1:16:54 PM5/18/08
Jan Derk wrote:

> Niels Haeck has a JPEG component fully written in Delphi. Plus it
> supports a lot of features that TJPEGImage does not, like CMYK,
> lossless rotation etc.

Interesting -- thanks.

Andrew Fiddian-Green

May 18, 2008, 2:14:59 PM5/18/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> ?? You do have all the source for TJPEGImage.

On my installation (RAD 2007) there is a JPEG.dcu and some C++ files;
there is certainly no instance of JPEG.pas to be found.

AndrewFG

Hamer

May 18, 2008, 2:37:41 PM5/18/08

> Mine is here:

> C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\source\TJPEGImage\src

I think Andrew is right, there is no jpeg.pas file there..

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 18, 2008, 2:35:23 PM5/18/08
Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:

> On my installation (RAD 2007) there is a JPEG.dcu and some C++ files;
> there is certainly no instance of JPEG.pas to be found.

Mine is here:

C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\source\TJPEGImage\src

Antti Kurenniemi

May 18, 2008, 2:42:54 PM5/18/08
"Andrew Fiddian-Green" <nn@dd> wrote in message

Same here - no jpeg.pas file anywhere on my system (Delphi 2007), only .dcu
and some C++ header files.

Antti Kurenniemi

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

May 18, 2008, 2:40:06 PM5/18/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:
>
> > On my installation (RAD 2007) there is a JPEG.dcu and some C++
> > files; there is certainly no instance of JPEG.pas to be found.
>
> Mine is here:
>
> C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\source\TJPEGImage\src

But no jpeg.pas there. Only the C sources.

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"2 + 2 = 5, for extremely large values of 2." -- unknown

Jan Derk

May 18, 2008, 2:49:36 PM5/18/08
Hamer wrote:
> I think Andrew is right, there is no jpeg.pas file there..

In Delphi 7 jpeg.pas is not installed by default, but it is on the CD. One has
to copy the files yourselves. I did not check for later Delphi version but
maybe it is the same.

Jan Derk

Pieter Zijlstra

May 18, 2008, 5:07:27 PM5/18/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:
>
> > On my installation (RAD 2007) there is a JPEG.dcu and some C++
> > files; there is certainly no instance of JPEG.pas to be found.
>
> Mine is here:
>
> C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\source\TJPEGImage\src

Is it the same as the one which was delivered with D2006?
If not can you make a copy available?

If I compare CRS2007 with BDS2006 then the contents of the four jpeg
sub-dirs are the same (except for the pre-complied debug dcus).

With D2006 these jpeg were not installed automatically but the files
could be found on the first CD.

With D2007 the four sub-dirs are installed but the root TJPEGImage
directory is empty, the following files are missing (compared to D2006):
- JConsts.pas
- jpeg.pas
- vcljpg.dcp

--
Pieter

Nick Hodges (CodeGear)

May 18, 2008, 7:16:57 PM5/18/08
Pieter Zijlstra wrote:

> With D2007 the four sub-dirs are installed but the root TJPEGImage
> directory is empty, the following files are missing (compared to
> D2006): - JConsts.pas
> - jpeg.pas
> - vcljpg.dcp

If that is the case, then that is a delivery problem.

A quick search of my machine shows that I don't have JPEG.PAS either.
I'll look into it on Monday.

Pieter Zijlstra

May 19, 2008, 3:15:11 PM5/19/08
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) wrote:

> A quick search of my machine shows that I don't have JPEG.PAS either.
>
> I'll look into it on Monday.

Great, I'm looking forwards to your findings.

Thanks!

--
Pieter