how do I debug a dll in delphi 5 under windows XP?

Mirco Feliziani

Jul 18, 2002, 10:36:51 AM7/18/02
Why dll debugging doesn't work in windows xp??
In windows 2000 it works!!!!
Are there some parameters to set?
Any suggestions?

Ken White

Jul 18, 2002, 12:44:08 PM7/18/02
Mirco,

> Why dll debugging doesn't work in windows xp??

Because Windows XP allows the same DLL to be present
in multiple versions. This broke DLL debugging under Delphi
(which was already in use before XP was released).

> In windows 2000 it works!!!!

Because MS made the change in XP.

> Are there some parameters to set?
> Any suggestions?

Go to groups.google.com and search on DLL and
debugging and XP and Delphi.

Ken
---
Ken White
kwh...@adpsi.com

Clipper Functions for Delphi and C++ Builder
http://www.adpsi.com

antcarsa

Jul 18, 2002, 2:38:37 PM7/18/02

This works (extracted from google)
------------------------------------

I found this message on Torry's Delphi pages (http://www.torry.ru/) Tips
section. It solved my problem, although it is a bit clumsy. What
follows is a direct quote, probably not from a native English speaker:

..debug a DLL in Windows XP ? Author: Elias Zurschmiede Homepage:
http://www.delight.ch

Until up to Win2k, you had to set the HostApplication on
Start=>Parameter to debug a DLL. This will not work on Windows XP.

That Delphi will know the DLL if you run the progam, you have to do the
following:

The program must load the DLL. After this, press Ctrl-Alt-M in Delphi,
to list all modules. Sometimes there will be the DLL with path.

Solution:

Right click on the DLL, select "Reload symbols" and set the full path to
the DLL. Now the breakpoints should be active.

When the DLL will be compiled in the system path (directory in PATH)
this problem dont occur.