compiling takes forever in Delphi 2007 + completion is slow SOLVED!!!!

Flying Dutchman

Jul 22, 2008, 12:49:37 AM7/22/08
WOW....
your not going to believe this...

my Spysweeper was running as a service in Vista. I'm like hmmm. strange
uninstalled the program and now it's a 10000% speed improvement.

compiling is now 2-5 seconds and the code completion has no lag at all
anymore..
even when you make a typo..

thought i would share the result.... maybe there are others that are using
spysweeper..

David J Taylor

Jul 22, 2008, 2:34:13 AM7/22/08

Glad to hear the compile speed problem is resolved, but does the help come
up any more quickly?

David

Flying Dutchman

Jul 22, 2008, 7:49:29 AM7/22/08
Yes, its pretty much instantly. the 1st time it takes about 1-3 seconds
and after that within a second.
no more waiting for 20-50 seconds.

cant believe that Spysweeper was breaking everytthing.

"David J Taylor" <david-...@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>

Mark Tiede

Jul 22, 2008, 8:21:23 AM7/22/08
"Flying Dutchman" <fdut...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

"Flying Dutchman"

What made you think to do that?

yannis

Jul 22, 2008, 8:27:29 AM7/22/08
Mark Tiede wrote:

> "Flying Dutchman"
>
> What made you think to do that?

desperation probably.

regards
Yannis.

--
"We are Dyslexia of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will
be laminated." -- unknown

Bob S

Jul 22, 2008, 8:55:36 AM7/22/08

>Glad to hear the compile speed problem is resolved, but does the help come
>up any more quickly?

Mine sure does, thanks to Dee Elling & crew:
http://blogs.codegear.com/deeelling/2008/07/18/38298

;)

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Jul 22, 2008, 8:54:35 AM7/22/08
Mark Tiede wrote:

> What made you think to do that?

When a system is running slowly, so-called "security" software is the
*first* thing to look at.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

David J Taylor

Jul 22, 2008, 10:02:10 AM7/22/08
Flying Dutchman wrote:
> Yes, its pretty much instantly. the 1st time it takes about 1-3
> seconds and after that within a second.
> no more waiting for 20-50 seconds.
>
> cant believe that Spysweeper was breaking everything.

You are lucky, then. My IDE takes about 22 seconds to load, and pressing
F1 after locating the cursor over the word "string" takes a further 18
seconds before anything loads. Very poor, I think.

I come from a Delphi 5 environment - comparative figures: load time: 4
seconds, F1 help: less than 3 seconds. Delphi 2007 has seen a loss of
productivity for me, and I was somewhat forced into Delphi 2007 by other
developers stopping their Delphi 5 support.

David

Flying Dutchman

Jul 22, 2008, 4:32:34 PM7/22/08

i noticed that my webbrowser was lagging all the sudden, so i looked at my
programs and noticed spysweeper
had like 12 shields running.. everything was going through there... so just
got rid of it.

i didn't try the F1 help yet. let me check

hmm.. f1 takes like forever... could be since i reinstalled everything..

now when i use it, it takes about 2-3 seconds for the help

"yannis" <none@noware,non> wrote in message

Keith Latham

Jul 22, 2008, 7:57:27 PM7/22/08
I too *seem* to have cured my problem. But I haven't verified it to my
complete satisfaction yet.

I have moved my working copy of the source off my NAS disk and onto my
local disk, and uninstalled JEDI (which was also on the NAS). So I am
not sure which solved the problem, local disk or not searching JEDI
source. Of course using local disk has to be better than NAS for this
and searching JEDI source on the NAS was two potential problems
compounding each other.

I'll do more testing tonight, but I spent most of my time last night
figuring out how to use SVN. So tonight I'll try compiling a bigger
project, reinstall JEDI onto the local disk, etc.

Might not get much done though...I might end up spending too much time
encouraging Cadel to drag his a$$ up the mountain :-). I think its gonna
be won or lost tonight on L'Alpe-d'Huez.

Mike Williams (TeamB)

Jul 23, 2008, 10:32:23 PM7/23/08
David J Taylor wrote:

> I come from a Delphi 5 environment - comparative figures: load time:
> 4 seconds, F1 help: less than 3 seconds. Delphi 2007 has seen a loss
> of productivity for me, and I was somewhat forced into Delphi 2007 by
> other developers stopping their Delphi 5 support.

To be fair how fast was D5 on typical hardware back in 2000? While I'm
in no way defending current performance I bet 8 years from now people
will be complaining that D2007 loads instantly while D2015 is sluggish
and the 12GB of help files are broken.

For my day to day work I jumped from D7 to 2007 and much prefer the
productivity enhancements available even if it is slower to load.

--
-Mike (TeamB)

David J Taylor

Jul 24, 2008, 2:16:35 AM7/24/08
Mike Williams (TeamB) wrote:
[]

> To be fair how fast was D5 on typical hardware back in 2000? While I'm
> in no way defending current performance I bet 8 years from now people
> will be complaining that D2007 loads instantly while D2015 is sluggish
> and the 12GB of help files are broken.
>
> For my day to day work I jumped from D7 to 2007 and much prefer the
> productivity enhancements available even if it is slower to load.

In my recollection, Delphi 5 was /always/ a damned sight faster than
Delphi 2007, even on year 2000 hardware. But I take your point.

I am still waiting to find the productivity enhancements....

David

Steve Thackery

Jul 26, 2008, 3:43:17 AM7/26/08
> Yes, its pretty much instantly. the 1st time it takes about 1-3 seconds
> and after that within a second.
> no more waiting for 20-50 seconds.

Well, that's something of a miracle, then, because my Vista machine has
absolutely no anti-virus or anti-anything-else-ware installed and Help STILL
takes 20-50 seconds to appear on the first press of F1.

SteveT