ANN: DelphiSpeedUp 1.9

Andreas Hausladen

Jul 1, 2006, 9:03:46 AM7/1/06
New Version: Delphi SpeedUp 1.9

Downloads:
http://andy.jgknet.de/dspeedup

What is DelphiSpeedUp.
=================
DelphiSpeedUp is a Delphi/BCB/BDS IDE plugin that decreases the time the
IDE needs to start. It also improves the general speed of the whole IDE
and all it's loaded packages. This is made possible by many functions from
the FastCode project and some other functions. The plugin replaces RTL
functions by faster versions in memory. That means that only the IDE gets
the speed boost. Your compiled projects are not affected in any way
(except that the Delphi compiler meight be a little bit faster, for a
speed improved BCB compiler you can use other tools like bcc32pch or
one of the multi-thread compiler helpers).

How to install
==========
Delphi/BCB 5 users start InstallDelphiSpeedUp5.exe
Delphi/BCB 6 users start InstallDelphiSpeedUp6.exe
Delphi 7 users start InstallDelphiSpeedUp7.exe
Delphi 2005 users start InstallDelphiSpeedUp9.exe
BDS 2006 users start InstallDelphiSpeedUp10.exe

What does the installer do
===================
The installer copies the files DelphiSpeedUpLoader?.bpl and
DelphiSpeedUp?.dll to $(APPDATA)\DelphiSpeedUp.
Further It adds the DelphiSpeedUpLoader?.bpl to the "Known IDE
Packages" in the registry.

How to uninstall
============
The installer is also the uninstaller. Simply press the "Uninstall"
button. After the plugin is uninstall the IDE will not use any
DelphiSpeedUp code anymore because all RTL changes only happened in memory.

Changelog (1.8 -> 1.9):
================
- Fixed: ITE had not worked with 'Disable "Files modified.
Rebuild?"-Dialog' option
- Fixed: Starting Delphi without splash screen disabled some features of
DelphiSpeedUp
- Fixed: Wrong "close all and terminate process" dialog text
- Added: ComponentSelector edit (Delphi 5 to 7)
- Added: French translation

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
(http://andy.jgknet.de/blog)

Olivier Beltrami some@junk someother.junk

Jul 1, 2006, 5:14:21 PM7/1/06
> - Added: ComponentSelector edit (Delphi 5 to 7)

Didn't think it could get any better ... but I was wrong.
Thank you very much for such an outstanding product.

Olivier

Adem

Jul 1, 2006, 5:22:24 PM7/1/06
Andreas,

Once again, thank you immeasurably for this excellent work.

>http://andy.jgknet.de/dspeedup

An, thanks also for letting us have a link to the site, instead of a
clickable dowbload link. :)

>- Fixed: ITE had not worked with 'Disable "Files modified.
>Rebuild?"-Dialog' option

What is ITE.

OBones

Jul 1, 2006, 7:49:48 PM7/1/06
Adem wrote:

>> - Fixed: ITE had not worked with 'Disable "Files modified.
>> Rebuild?"-Dialog' option
>

> What is ITE.

Integrated Translation Environment.

--
Olivier Sannier
JVCL Coordinator

Find more about me on LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/obones

Will

Jul 2, 2006, 1:45:26 AM7/2/06
Fantastic add on for Delphi, now it quick and easer go in and out of Delphi.

Thanks

"Andreas Hausladen" <AndreasDO...@gObviousToBeRemovedmx.de> wrote in
message news:44a6...@newsgroups.borland.com...

Message has been deleted

Jarek Karciarz

Jul 3, 2006, 2:22:36 AM7/3/06
does ITE work in bds2006 enterprise at all. My old resource dlls are no more
compilable, running a wizard from the beginning fails
Jarek

Uzytkownik "OBones" <obones_gfd_@_gfd_altern.org> napisal w wiadomosci

Andrew Jameson

Jul 3, 2006, 6:59:47 AM7/3/06
This has helped my productivity ... absolutely brilliant !

Sadly there always seems to be that 'but' ! But ... I don't like the
component selector ... it seems to get the focus too readily and I get the
associated dropdown when I don't want nor need it ... and I can't turn it
off from the toolbar customization ... I get a list index (7) error. I'm
using D5 and use CompBar (if that's relevant).

Andrew

OBones

Jul 3, 2006, 12:29:51 PM7/3/06
Jarek Karciarz wrote:
> does ITE work in bds2006 enterprise at all. My old resource dlls are no more
> compilable, running a wizard from the beginning fails
> Jarek

I have no idea, I jever really used ITE as it always seemed cumbersome.
I much prefer the DxGettext approach, much more flexible.

Andreas Hausladen

Jul 3, 2006, 12:54:08 PM7/3/06
Andrew Jameson wrote:

> Sadly there always seems to be that 'but' ! But ... I don't like the
> component selector ... it seems to get the focus too readily and I get
> the associated dropdown when I don't want nor need it

For me the drop down list only appear when I click into the component
selector's edit control. And I have worked with it for about one week now.

Andrew Jameson

Jul 3, 2006, 3:31:58 PM7/3/06
Thanks Andreas - but it doesn't work well for me ... maybe you have
something else on the IDE that gets the focus maybe something like the
desktop edit combo ... if I click on say the list of forms button and then
close that dialog then the only object that gets the focus is the component
selector and it immediately drops down. That apart, how can I remove it ?
... I currently get a list index out of range error when closing Delphi
after clearing it from the toolbar customize dialog.

Andrew

"Andreas Hausladen" <AndreasDO...@gObviousToBeRemovedmx.de> wrote in

message news:44a9...@newsgroups.borland.com...

John E. Wilfong

Jul 3, 2006, 5:15:48 PM7/3/06
Andreas Hausladen wrote:

> - Added: ComponentSelector edit (Delphi 5 to 7)

Nice product however this item really should be an entirely separate
product as it deviates and begins to blur what the purpose of Delphi
Speedup is, ie: to speed up the loading of the IDE in contrast to adding
enhancements or improvements to the IDE.

--
John

Andreas Hausladen

Jul 3, 2006, 5:47:19 PM7/3/06
John E. Wilfong wrote:

> the purpose of Delphi Speedup is, ie: to speed up the loading
> of the IDE in contrast to adding enhancements or improvements
> to the IDE.

The purpose of DelphiSpeedUp is to accelerate the development process by
minimizing and optimizing waiting times and mouse ways. And as such the
ComponentSelected makes it faster for me when I'm searching for a
component that is somewhere in one of the 40 palette tabs.

In the next version (1.95) it will be possible to show and hide the
ComponentSelector toolbar with the controlbar's context menu. And the
configuration is stored to the DelphiSpeedUp registry key. So that a
hidden ComponentSelector stays hidden after a restart of Delphi.

> Nice product however this item really should be an entirely
> separate product

I have already started the next Delphi Plugin but that has a completely
different purpose where the ComponentSelector does not fit because it
concentrates on the source code that the compiler uses to compile the
project. And with that I do not mean anything that could be called "editor
tool". (Codename: CompileInterceptor)

John E. Wilfong

Jul 3, 2006, 7:45:51 PM7/3/06
Andreas Hausladen wrote:

> The purpose of DelphiSpeedUp is to accelerate the development process by
> minimizing and optimizing waiting times and mouse ways. And as such the
> ComponentSelected makes it faster for me when I'm searching for a
> component that is somewhere in one of the 40 palette tabs.

IMPOV, when you advertise DSU as 'a Delphi/BCB/BDS IDE plugin that
decreases the time the IDE needs to start' then a tool that enhances the
programmers experience, such as the new ComponentSelected capability, is
no differenct than VisualForms or GExperts, et al. There is a definate
difference in hooking into existing functionality leaving the IDE
experience unchanged but faster and adding/changing functionality. In both
cases the experience of the programmer may have improved but there is a
difference none-the-less.

I have high respect for authors, such as Gerritt with Model Maker Tools,
that stays focused on what a particular tool is for. I believe this focus
allows the tool to remain solid and easier to maintain.

This is just my opinion as you are the author and ultimately the choice is
yours and has been made. Please consider what I have written as
constructive and not an argument.

Good luck with the CompileInterceptor.

--
John

vavan

Jul 4, 2006, 2:29:39 AM7/4/06
On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 23:47:19 +0200, "Andreas Hausladen"
<AndreasDO...@gObviousToBeRemovedmx.de> wrote:

>I have already started the next Delphi Plugin but that has a completely

any plans on fixing bcc32pch bugs?

--
Vladimir Ulchenko aka vavan

Harald Plontke

Jul 4, 2006, 5:22:06 AM7/4/06
works good now for three days, "file changed, reload" messages are gone.

greetings,

Harald

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jason Chapman

Jul 4, 2006, 10:33:22 AM7/4/06
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

> For you, but the fact remains that these are entirely different kinds
> of experts and should probably be distributed separately. After all,
> all experts and 3rd party tools claim to enhance and improve the
> programming experience, and yet they are often VERY different in what
> they do.

For me, it all boils down to how easy it is to turn the feature off and
it to have no further impact on the environment or the add-on e.g. the
Shift + F9 of either speedup or compbar drove me crazy as I had already
assigned (using Gexperts) Alt+f9 for Build and Shift + F9 for syntax
check.

I would prefer to have 3 IDE packages do all I want (each with 5 tools
I decide to disable), than 50 that each implement something specific.
That is with all being equal, the argument suffers if a feature you
don't want suddenly interfers with you work.

--
Jason Chapman
JAC2 Consultancy

Andreas Hausladen

Jul 4, 2006, 12:05:44 PM7/4/06
vavan wrote:

> any plans on fixing bcc32pch bugs?

When there is the next update for BDS 2006 or the BDS 2007 release
(depends on what is first). At the moment I cannot really debug the DLL
and the code base for bcc32pch is too large for OutputDebugString() when
the IDE takes ages to start within a debug session.

us...@domain.invalid

Jul 4, 2006, 9:49:20 PM7/4/06

> ... I currently get a list index out of range error when closing Delphi
> after clearing it from the toolbar customize dialog.

I also get a list index out of range error when closing Delphi 7
The component selector also does not always function reliably and may or
may not drop down the list of components.

I've reverted back to Ver 1.8. since the speed up function is great.

Peter

vavan

Jul 5, 2006, 1:50:25 AM7/5/06
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:05:44 +0200, "Andreas Hausladen"
<AndreasDO...@gObviousToBeRemovedmx.de> wrote:

>When there is the next update for BDS 2006 or the BDS 2007 release

there won't be any significant update for 2006 and 2007 will be
released approx. in a year

>and the code base for bcc32pch is too large for OutputDebugString() when

what exactly you're trying to print via OutputDebugString? can't you
output it some other way (using CodeSite for example)?

after all can't you find the bug comparing current code with previous
releases which worked fine for me? I wonder why your addon passes one
long quoted string to linker as -L"lots of paths here" while in
Project Options - Linker - Command Line IDE correctly shows
-Lsomepath;somepath;someanotherpath;"some path containing spaces,
minus signs etc.";somepath ?

Andrew Jameson

Jul 5, 2006, 4:38:53 AM7/5/06
Thanks Peter ... you prompted me to abandon the latest version ... you can
revert back :

http://unvclx.sf.net/downloads/DelphiSpeedUpV18.zip

Yes, I agree with others ... DelphiSpeedUp is unique, there are no other
products that provide such a valuable speedup within the Delphi IDE ...
there are loads of 'expert' addons ... so why try to dilute the utter
brilliance of such a good product with stuff that annoys and potentially
destabilizes the IDE ?

Andrew

<us...@domain.invalid> wrote in message

Liz

Jul 5, 2006, 11:36:34 AM7/5/06
Andrew Jameson wrote:

> Thanks Peter ... you prompted me to abandon the latest version ...
> you can revert back :
>
> http://unvclx.sf.net/downloads/DelphiSpeedUpV18.zip

I liked 1.8, Im likely to revert too, the component searcher would be
nice for those who want, probably best to release as a separate product.

--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: http://www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Andy Vines

Jul 6, 2006, 7:33:48 AM7/6/06

"Andreas Hausladen" <AndreasDO...@gObviousToBeRemovedmx.de> wrote in
message news:44a9...@newsgroups.borland.com...

It works great again for me, and the component selector is good as well, had
tried others like compbar, but didn't get on with them, also it doesn't
steal the focus on my setup.

Thanks

Andy