Alisdair Meredith - Product Manager C++ - live now!

Anders Ohlsson (CodeGear)

Sep 13, 2007, 9:08:32 AM9/13/07
http://borland.interwise.com/borland/iSeminar/QM6933/

Please join us, or watch the replay later.

--
Anders Ohlsson - http://blogs.codegear.com/ao/
CodeGear Developer Relations

Pete Fraser

Sep 13, 2007, 9:21:11 AM9/13/07
Congrats to Alisdair and CodeGear.
A great guy to do this job.
You've got a lot of work ahead of you and we'll miss you at
the ACCU - unless of course CodeGear will be there next
year?
Pete

"Anders Ohlsson (CodeGear)" <aohl...@codegear.com> wrote in
message news:46e9364a$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

Alan Bellingham

Sep 13, 2007, 11:05:16 AM9/13/07
"Pete Fraser" <pete.nospam....@frasersoft.nospam.net> wrote:

>Congrats to Alisdair and CodeGear.
>A great guy to do this job.
>You've got a lot of work ahead of you and we'll miss you at
>the ACCU - unless of course CodeGear will be there next
>year?

Hmm, now that'd be a good idea. An extremely good idea. After all, we
had Microsoft and Google (among others) with us this year, and we used
to include a specific Borland SIG many years ago.

Alan Bellingham
--
Team Browns
ACCU Conference 2008: 2-5 April 2008 - Oxford (probably), UK

geikelite

Sep 13, 2007, 10:58:11 AM9/13/07
Excellent news! I think we will see good stuff on the compiler front.

David Erbas-White

Sep 13, 2007, 11:09:31 AM9/13/07
Anders Ohlsson (CodeGear) wrote:
> http://borland.interwise.com/borland/iSeminar/QM6933/
>
> Please join us, or watch the replay later.

Congratulations to Alisdair, and to CodeGear. I only wish it hadn't
taken this long... <G>

David Erbas-White

Pete Fraser

Sep 13, 2007, 11:13:52 AM9/13/07
I have to admit I would have recommended Alisdair a long
time ago if I hadn't thought that his UK status was a
problem.
Obviously it wasn't that much of a problem and at least now
he gets paid for attending C++ ISO meetings (in Hawaii -
lucky guy!).
I hope he has as much fun with this as he did with F1@
Renault
Pete

"David Erbas-White" <der...@arachneering.com> wrote in
message news:46e952ac$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

Michael Swindell (CodeGear)

Sep 13, 2007, 12:08:16 PM9/13/07
Agree. It was an easy call to make. When we decided to bring back
C++Builder, the 06 release was like brushing off your classic car in the
garage that's been sitting for a few years, most of the work was in tune up
and clean up - getting it working in the updated IDE. 07 is about bringing
it up to feature level and Vista - 07 is really the CBuilder that it should
be today. But there will be a lot happening in the C++ space in the next few
years and it was crticial that we brought in someone that could help us take
C++Builder "into the eye of the storm" so to speak. C++ was my first product
management job at Borland. I was the product manager for CB1, and 3, 4, and
5. So picking the right person to carry on C++Builder was very important to
me personally as well. Look for some news on Alisdair's joining CodeGear
soon.

-m

"Pete Fraser" <pete.nospam....@frasersoft.nospam.net> wrote in
message news:46e953b3$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

Captain Jake

Sep 13, 2007, 1:00:18 PM9/13/07

"Michael Swindell (CodeGear)" <michael.nos...@codegear.com> wrote
in message news:46e9607d$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Agree. It was an easy call to make. When we decided to bring back
> C++Builder, the 06 release was like brushing off your classic car in the
> garage that's been sitting for a few years, most of the work was in tune
> up and clean up

I'd love to be able to compile and build the Visual C++ compatible open
source libraries that are out there (libpar is a good example of one that
doesn't compoile in C++Builder). I hope he makes that a priority. I'd buy a
new copy of C++ Builder, or CodeGear Dev Dtudio if that was the case.

David Dean [CodeGear]

Sep 13, 2007, 1:37:00 PM9/13/07
In article <46e9364a$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>,
"Anders Ohlsson (CodeGear)" <aohl...@codegear.com> wrote:

> Alisdair Meredith - Product Manager C++

I'm very excited to be working with Alisdair. His involvement with
CodeGear is sure to make our C++ products better.

--
-David Dean
CodeGear C++ QA Engineer

Darko Miletic

Sep 13, 2007, 1:53:27 PM9/13/07
Captain Jake wrote:
> I'd love to be able to compile and build the Visual C++ compatible open
> source libraries that are out there (libpar is a good example of one that
> doesn't compoile in C++Builder). I hope he makes that a priority. I'd buy a
> new copy of C++ Builder, or CodeGear Dev Dtudio if that was the case.

I so agree with you on this. If CodeGear would adopt microsoft format of
lib, obj and debug files things would be so much easier for everybody.

Sebastian Ledesma [Solidyne Labs]

Sep 13, 2007, 2:05:58 PM9/13/07

"Darko Miletic" <kik...@fibertel.com.ar> escribió en el mensaje
Nah,
when codegear switched to MS format, MS will change to enhaced, blah,
blah,blah, incompatible-with-previous, format.
Did you not learned that with Word, every new version is incompatible with
the current one (and now they are trying to create an ISO standard!)

For .DLL's you have import.lib, it works.

Saludos
Sebastian

Alex Bakaev [TeamB]

Sep 13, 2007, 2:46:31 PM9/13/07
Captain Jake wrote:

> I'd love to be able to compile and build the Visual C++ compatible open
> source libraries that are out there (libpar is a good example of one that
> doesn't compoile in C++Builder). I hope he makes that a priority. I'd buy a
> new copy of C++ Builder, or CodeGear Dev Dtudio if that was the case.

I have no major problems compiling a *lot* of VC++-compatible source.
I've not tried libpar in particular. Issues that I do encounter usually
are VC++ accepting non-conforming code or VC++ -specific keywords/features.

.a

Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]

Sep 13, 2007, 3:05:58 PM9/13/07
Pete Fraser wrote:

> Congrats to Alisdair and CodeGear.
> A great guy to do this job.
> You've got a lot of work ahead of you and we'll miss you at the ACCU
> - unless of course CodeGear will be there next year? Pete

Thanks Pete.
I'd hate to miss everyone at ACCU again next year too, we'll see if I
can bend enough rules to make it there again!

Yes we certainly have a busy time ahead of us, and an eager team to do
the work. Management have renewed investment in our tools, so now it
is up to me to deliver the fantastic tool we always knew C++Builder
should grow up to be!

Did I say how much I love my new job yet? <g>

--
Alisdair Meredith
C++Builder Product Manager - CodeGear

Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]

Sep 13, 2007, 3:07:18 PM9/13/07
Alan Bellingham wrote:

> Hmm, now that'd be a good idea. An extremely good idea. After all, we
> had Microsoft and Google (among others) with us this year, and we used
> to include a specific Borland SIG many years ago.

Interesting, I didn't know about the SIGs. I always had a soft spot
reviving traditions after all!

Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]

Sep 13, 2007, 3:12:51 PM9/13/07
geikelite wrote:

> Excellent news! I think we will see good stuff on the compiler front.

Thanks for the vote of confidence <g>

I hope you will actually be seeing a lot of good stuff though, and not
just on the compiler. I hope to have a teaser for our plans out soon,
so you can see the direction for the whole product, although Nick
Hodges has already warned me of the perils of promising road maps ;?)

Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]

Sep 13, 2007, 3:33:47 PM9/13/07
Darko Miletic wrote:

> I so agree with you on this. If CodeGear would adopt microsoft format
> of lib, obj and debug files things would be so much easier for
> everybody.

In the ideal world I would love all compilers to easily share compiled
libraries. I'm not sure it is practical when our ABI is also
constrained by Delphi/VCL compatibility, which is not something
Microsoft need to consider. Once you throw in different exception
handling strategies, calling conventions, language extensions (and new
features as 0x is implemented) etc. the task becomes quite significant
- and that is assuming Microsoft even license or document their ABI.

I won't say we'll never do something along these lines (never say
never!) but it is not high on my prioirity list for the next 12 months.

Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]

Sep 13, 2007, 3:17:52 PM9/13/07
David Erbas-White wrote:

> Congratulations to Alisdair, and to CodeGear. I only wish it hadn't
> taken this long... <G>

Thanks <G>

As a customer I would agree with you, we have needed some focus and
direction in the C++ Tools for a while.

Personally I'll be selfish and say I'm glad it took this long, as it
means I was available for the job!

Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]

Sep 13, 2007, 3:25:27 PM9/13/07
Captain Jake wrote:

> I'd love to be able to compile and build the Visual C++ compatible
> open source libraries that are out there (libpar is a good example of
> one that doesn't compoile in C++Builder). I hope he makes that a
> priority. I'd buy a new copy of C++ Builder, or CodeGear Dev Dtudio
> if that was the case.

If there are specific libraries you would like to see supported, please
let me know. Top of my list initially for C++ are Boost and ACE/TAO.

Another area where 'field reports' help is knowing where there are 3rd
party Delphi components that aren't compatible with C++Builder.

Thanks again

John Grabner

Sep 13, 2007, 4:41:17 PM9/13/07
Congratulations. I can't think of a better choice.

John Grabner
(Long time ACCU member)

geikelite

Sep 13, 2007, 5:44:55 PM9/13/07

"Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]" <nntp.al...@gmail.com> wrote

> If there are specific libraries you would like to see supported, please
> let me know. Top of my list initially for C++ are Boost and ACE/TAO.

Ah man, awesome dude. C++ Builder has some good times ahead. But, do it
with compiler fixes instead of compiler workarounds.

Nicola Musatti

Sep 13, 2007, 6:01:40 PM9/13/07
Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear] wrote:
[...]

> Did I say how much I love my new job yet? <g>

Well, from the outside it does sound as a perfect match both ways :-)

Congratulations, Alisdair. You've certainly come a long way since we
first met on these newsgroups.

Cheers,
Nicola
--
Nicola Musatti
Team Browns

Hendrik Schober

Sep 13, 2007, 4:46:53 PM9/13/07
Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear] <nntp.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> geikelite wrote:
>
>> Excellent news! I think we will see good stuff on the compiler front.
>
> Thanks for the vote of confidence <g>

Yep, congrats from me, too. CG hiring you sounds
like they're /really/ going into the right
direction.

> I hope you will actually be seeing a lot of good stuff though, and not
> just on the compiler. I hope to have a teaser for our plans out soon,
> so you can see the direction for the whole product, although Nick
> Hodges has already warned me of the perils of promising road maps ;?)

Road maps aren't perilious at all, actually. Just
not sticking to them gets you into trouble. :)

Schobi

--
Spam...@gmx.de is never read
I'm HSchober at gmx dot de

Nicola Musatti

Sep 13, 2007, 6:07:55 PM9/13/07
Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear] wrote:
> Pete Fraser wrote:
>
>> Congrats to Alisdair and CodeGear.
>> A great guy to do this job.
>> You've got a lot of work ahead of you and we'll miss you at the ACCU
>> - unless of course CodeGear will be there next year? Pete
>
> Thanks Pete.
> I'd hate to miss everyone at ACCU again next year too, we'll see if I
> can bend enough rules to make it there again!

Ah, but that should not be a matter of bending the rules! I've been
meaning to suggest this for a couple of years, but until now I didn't
know who to address. I don't think there currently is a better focused
event for C++ and CodeGear should seriously consider sending not only
their brand new product manager but also someone from the development
team. And not just to preside the annual BCB dinner!

Brion L. Webster

Sep 13, 2007, 6:40:02 PM9/13/07
Anders Ohlsson (CodeGear) wrote:

>http://borland.interwise.com/borland/iSeminar/QM6933/
>
>Please join us, or watch the replay later.

Congratulations Alisdair! High Hopes!

--
-Brion

There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'
- Mercedes Lackey

Captain Jake

Sep 13, 2007, 6:56:01 PM9/13/07

"Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]" <nntp.al...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If there are specific libraries you would like to see supported, please
> let me know.

Google for "libpar". It's a freeware library for decoding/combining PAR
files. I've been wanting to add automatic decoding/combining of PAR files to
my newsreader, but I'd have to put it in a DLL because it only compiles in
VC++, not C++ Builder. Ideally, I would be able to compile libpar to an OBJ
file that Delphi could link directly with. Make that a possibility and I
would be a very happy camper.

Leo Siefert

Sep 14, 2007, 11:13:45 AM9/14/07
A little late to the party here, but I'm also thrilled to see such a
positive development for the C++ community.

Congratulations to Alisdair, and may we all learn to spell your name
correctly.

- Leo

Pete Fraser

Sep 14, 2007, 11:37:12 AM9/14/07
Why?
His parents couldn't, as he has often told us.
There are 2 ways to spell his name - and his is neither!
Alistair or Alasdair - his parents apparently mixed them up
and made a third!
Pete

"Leo Siefert" <lIHATESP...@senate.michigan.gov> wrote
in message

Alex Bakaev [TeamB]

Sep 14, 2007, 12:14:41 PM9/14/07
Captain Jake wrote:

> Google for "libpar". It's a freeware library for decoding/combining PAR

I did, but there doesn't seem to be a zip/tar or anything - just mail
list posts and libpar-perl stuff.

Andrew Bond

Sep 14, 2007, 12:46:41 PM9/14/07
Today I bit the bullet and purchased CB 2007 (even though none of my apps
can be built with it yet, I feel confident that one day they will!).

Then I discovered Alisdair had become C++ Project Manager.

Wow! I am now highly confident that I have made the right decision to
continue with C++Builder...

Congrats, Alisdair... I'm particularly looking forward to better Boost
support.

Andrew

Bob Gonder

Sep 14, 2007, 8:35:45 PM9/14/07
Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:

Google suggested looking for libpar2, and brought up this link

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=30568&package_id=171019

libpar2-0.2.tar.gz Mirror 401700 3977 Platform-Independent Source .gz

There are also other orig.tar.gz links in the index-of mirror links in Google results.

Alex Bakaev [TeamB]

Sep 14, 2007, 10:44:29 PM9/14/07
Bob Gonder wrote:
> Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
>
>>> Google for "libpar". It's a freeware library for decoding/combining PAR
>> I did, but there doesn't seem to be a zip/tar or anything - just mail
>> list posts and libpar-perl stuff.
>
> Google suggested looking for libpar2, and brought up this link

Didn't for me...

> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=30568&package_id=171019

Downloaded that, thanks. It requires libsigc++, so I had to get that too.

BCB choked on

template <class T_functor>
struct adaptor_functor : public adaptor_base
{
template <class T_arg1=void,class T_arg2=void,class T_arg3=void,class
T_arg4=void,class T_arg5=void,class T_arg6=void,class T_arg7=void>
struct deduce_result_type
{ typedef typename sigc::deduce_result_type<T_functor,
T_arg1,T_arg2,T_arg3,T_arg4,T_arg5,T_arg6,T_arg7>::type type; };

[BCC32 Error] adaptor_trait.h(61): E2270 > expected

pointing to T_arg1=void.

[BCC32 Error] adaptor_trait.h(61): E2270 > expected
[BCC32 Error] adaptor_trait.h(63): E2321 Declaration does not specify a
tag or an identifier
[BCC32 Error] adaptor_trait.h(251): E2316 'operator
adaptor_functor<T_functor>::()() const' is not a member of
'adaptor_functor<T_functor>'
[BCC32 Error] signal.h(430): E2404 Dependent type qualifier 'nil' has no
member type named 'result_type'
[BCC32 Error] signal.h(448): E2404 Dependent type qualifier 'nil' has no
member type named 'result_type'
[BCC32 Error] signal.h(427): F1004 Internal compiler error at 0x58e747f
with base 0x5860000

David Perkins

Sep 15, 2007, 6:20:40 AM9/15/07
I'm not impressed so far, not impressed at all.

Twice now on a curry night out with the big man + others, he's listened
to my winges about BCB and twice he has said he would pop round to my
office and listen to my BCB complaints when I was less intoxicated. Did
he turn up? No! I hope this doesn't set a precedent of broken promises.

Well done mate, they took their time.

Dave

Leo Siefert

Sep 15, 2007, 10:02:48 PM9/15/07
Pete Fraser wrote:

>his parents apparently mixed them up and made a third!

But that's his name now. As long as he spells it that way I will too.

- Leo

Jarrod Hollingworth

Sep 16, 2007, 8:31:00 AM9/16/07
Congratulations Alisdair! Your positive mental attitude and energy will be
great for C++Builder's future.
--
Regards,
Jarrod Hollingworth

$ drink < bottle; opener
bottle: cannot open
opener: not found

Randall Parker

Sep 16, 2007, 1:25:06 PM9/16/07
Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear] wrote:

> Did I say how much I love my new job yet? <g>

I just sorted by poster name and see this is the first post you've written in this
group with the [CodeGear] in your From.

Well, congrats to both you and CodeGear. I have always appreciated your detailed
knowledge of the C++ standard and its evolution. I'm glad to see someone so dedicated
to C++ working for CodeGear on C++.

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

Sep 16, 2007, 2:01:57 PM9/16/07
Randall Parker wrote:

Alisdair most definitely is, but the others on the C++ team are very
dedicated to C++ as well, AFAIK.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

"If FORTRAN has been called an infantile disorder, then PL/I must
be classified as a fatal disease." -- Edsger Dijkstra

Unknown

Sep 17, 2007, 10:05:39 AM9/17/07
Il 13 Sep 2007 12:25:27 -0700, "Alisdair Meredith[CodeGear]" <nntp.al...@gmail.com> ha
scritto:

[snip]

>If there are specific libraries you would like to see supported, please
>let me know. Top of my list initially for C++ are Boost and ACE/TAO.

[snip]

I'm sure that many EE will be glad to see the SystemC library
compiling with Codegear tools.

Have a look at http://www.systemc.org/

Regards

Giuliano