'pre'/'post' build step support

Paul Waudby

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
Is there a mechanism to apply pre/post build steps under the IDE to a
build without patching the makefile?

Reason : I like to rename my DLL's to reflect their internal version
so that two (or more) versions of the same DLL can coexist on a
system. It would be REALLY nice if I could automate this under the
IDE.

Not a serious problem because I can do it with the makefiles. Just
wondered if there was a neater mechanism.

Thanks

Paul Waudby, OCS SA

Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
: pau...@umngane.com (Paul Waudby) wrote:

>Is there a mechanism to apply pre/post build steps under the IDE to a
>build without patching the makefile?

Yes. The Open Tools API has this functionality. Have a look at the
ToolsApi folder of your C++Builder installation.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB) http://www.econos.de/

Craig Farrell

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

Paul,

You can always add Batch projects to a Project Group, (they
can come before or after your project) and then "Build All
projects" will run the batch file(s).

--Craig

Jarmo Raiha

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99

"Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)" wrote:

> : pau...@umngane.com (Paul Waudby) wrote:
>
> >Is there a mechanism to apply pre/post build steps under the IDE to a
> >build without patching the makefile?
>

> Yes. The Open Tools API has this functionality. Have a look at the
> ToolsApi folder of your C++Builder installation.

Open Tools API is way too complex to be reasonably used for this kind of
simple tasks. Some of us have not time to learn a new undocumented
API to do things that should be handled more easily. Yes, I
know hidden paths... and even have one.

IDE itself should be fixed to allow user defined translations.
For a start it could read and understand more from the makefile instead
of
reading only the parts it manages by it self.
Of course Open tools API can surely handle this...

Jarmo Raiha

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB)

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
You can add a batch file to your project, and when it compiles, it runs the
batch file. You may do whatever you want in the batch file. To do this,
right click on your project group (in project manager) and select "Add new
project" and then select "batch file". You can order your projects so that
your batch is the first or last thing to run. Add two batch files to have
pre and post compilation processing.

I haven't used this facility much, so I do not know of any limitiations or
"gotchas" involved. Hopefully there are none. :)

Chris (TeamB)

Paul Waudby wrote in message <37548de2...@forums.inprise.com>...

>Is there a mechanism to apply pre/post build steps under the IDE to a
>build without patching the makefile?

Paul Waudby

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Thanks,

Batchfile method works well except on one machine we have! (after the
build the BCB memory footprint goes from 28MB in memory to 124MB in
memory! I think the problem lies with that particular machine's NT
installation its got some weird memory management system on it)

Not serious just mentioned it for interest sake.

Thank you all very much for the assistance.

Paul Waudby, OCS SA