[Boost-users] [function] Using boost::function when rtti is not available

David Genest

Nov 20, 2009, 10:30:47 AM11/20/09
to boost...@lists.boost.org
Hi,

I am in a gaming build environment that has traditionally turned of rtti because of space and portability issues.

But, I would like to use the very useful boost::function. On MSVC boost::function works, but fails on g++ for the ps3. I have read on the lists that it is possible to implement a rtti-less version, and that this is even wanted in the future.

See: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/192378

And http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/191945

I know of a lot of people that would like this dependency on rtti removed.

My question to the list is: did anyone have a try at an implementation and could share it ? I have toyed with boost::function and sp_typeinfo.hpp and tried to replace occurrences of type_info in function_base.hpp, but I don't have enough understanding to finish the work and my early attempts have failed.

Thank you,

David.