Proposed 2666 Group Read Schedule

Matt Bucher

Dec 4, 2008, 5:19:15 PM12/4/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
The Part About the Critics
January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
January 19 - pages 51-102
January 26 - pages 102-159

The Part About Amalfitano
February 2 - pages 163-195
February 9 - pages 195-228

The Part About Fate
February 16 - pages 231-273
February 23 - pages 274-312
March 2 - pages 312-349

The Part About the Crimes
March 9 - pages 353-404
March 16 - pages 404-459
March 23 - pages 459-513
March 30 - pages 513-564
April 6 - pages 564-633

The Part About Archimboldi
April 13 - pages 637-689
April 20 - pages 689-738
April 27 - pages 738-784
May 4 - pages 784-838
May 11 - pages 838-893

OK, for those of you on the wallace list, you basically know how a
group read works, but for those just joining us, here's a rundown.
Signing up to "lead" or "moderate" a section means that you kick off
the discussion that week by giving a brief synopsis of what happens in
the section and any notes you have to share---it can be anything from
tracking down an obscure reference to questions about the plot.

Let me know if you think we should divide the chunks differently. This
is an ambitious schedule and I will be a little shocked if we make it
all the way through the end of the book by May. Sadly, these things
tend to peter out. But, if the schedule looks OK, please sign up to
lead a section!

Antonio Marcos Pereira

Dec 4, 2008, 7:38:02 PM12/4/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Matt, I'd gladly moderate the conversation starting on Jan 19. Just want to let everybody know that I'll need some leads re exact page numbers as I'm reading the spanish edition.

Looking forward to this, it's gonna be fun.

Best,

Antonio

2008/12/4 Matt Bucher <mattb...@gmail.com>

--
Antonio Marcos Pereira
Departamento de Letras Vernáculas

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 4:02:14 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Special Offer: If you sign up to lead a section of the group read, the
publisher, Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, will send you two copies of the
book (to give to friends, your mom, whomever to invite to them to the
list and encourage others to join in the group read). Just reply to
this email and put your name next to the date / section you want to
lead.

The Part About the Critics
January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher

January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira

January 26 - pages 102-159

The Part About Amalfitano
February 2 - pages 163-195
February 9 - pages 195-228

The Part About Fate
February 16 - pages 231-273
February 23 - pages 274-312
March 2 - pages 312-349

The Part About the Crimes
March 9 - pages 353-404
March 16 - pages 404-459
March 23 - pages 459-513
March 30 - pages 513-564
April 6 - pages 564-633

The Part About Archimboldi
April 13 - pages 637-689
April 20 - pages 689-738
April 27 - pages 738-784
May 4 - pages 784-838
May 11 - pages 838-893

You can also join the "Waiting for 2666" Facebook group here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=28624527158&ref=ts

Dillon Young

Dec 5, 2008, 4:06:35 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l

On Dec 5, 3:02 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Special Offer: If you sign up to lead a section of the group read, the
> publisher, Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, will send you two copies of the
> book (to give to friends, your mom, whomever to invite to them to the
> list and encourage others to join in the group read). Just reply to
> this email and put your name next to the date / section you want to
> lead.
>
> The Part About the Critics
> January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
> January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira
> January 26 - pages 102-159
>
> The Part About Amalfitano
> February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young

Dillon Young

Dec 5, 2008, 4:08:01 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l

On Dec 4, 4:19 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Part About the Critics
> January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
> January 19 - pages 51-102
> January 26 - pages 102-159
>
> The Part About Amalfitano
> February 2 - pages 163-195 Dillon Young

Steve

Dec 5, 2008, 4:08:04 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
> April 13 - pages 637-689 -- Stephen Lowery

Patrick Ricci

Dec 5, 2008, 4:12:25 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dillon Young <tclibr...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Dec 4, 4:19 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Part About the Critics
> January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
> January 19 - pages 51-102
> January 26 - pages 102-159
>
> The Part About Amalfitano
> February 2 - pages 163-195 Dillon Young
> February 9 - pages 195-228
>
> The Part About Fate
> February 16 - pages 231-273 Patrick Ricci

Dec 5, 2008, 4:12:30 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
Hi ~

i am a member of the 'waiting for 2666' facebook group - that's how i
heard about yours. i'm responding to the message i received from
georgia cool
re: Starting this January, Lorin and I are taking part in an on-line
discussion of 2666 organized by Matt Bucher. We want you to join us!
We also want you to take a turn leading the group.

i would like to join, especially if i can lead a group online
i do not have the book because as much as i wanted to,
i never made the november 7th event in new york

i am a grad student at dartmouth college.

please let me know what i need to to asap. i'll be traveling very
soon.

thanks.
best regards, Z/S

Chiles Samaniego

Dec 5, 2008, 4:14:34 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
hi there. could i sign up to get the copies so i'd have a copy to read for the group read? i'm still waiting for 2666.

Lee Henderson

Dec 5, 2008, 4:15:43 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
wow, great deal. Well, I was planning to follow along with the reading
group, but I can't resist this bonus to help lead a section. I've put
myself down for the first section of Archimboldi.
> April 13 - pages 637-689 - Lee Henderson

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 4:16:02 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
NOTE: Please reply to the most recent message so that you aren't
picking date that's already taken. First come first serve!

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Patrick Ricci <patric...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dillon Young <tclibr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 4, 4:19 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The Part About the Critics
>> > January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
>> > January 19 - pages 51-102
>> > January 26 - pages 102-159
>> >
>> > The Part About Amalfitano
>> > February 2 - pages 163-195 Dillon Young
>> > February 9 - pages 195-228
>> >
>> > The Part About Fate
>> > February 16 - pages 231-273 Patrick Ricci
>> > February 23 - pages 274-312
>> > March 2 - pages 312-349
>> >
>> > The Part About the Crimes
>> > March 9 - pages 353-404
>> > March 16 - pages 404-459
>> > March 23 - pages 459-513
>> > March 30 - pages 513-564
>> > April 6 - pages 564-633
>> >
>> > The Part About Archimboldi
>> > April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 4:16:32 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Stephen Lowery already took that section, Lee. Can you choose another?

Lee Henderson

Dec 5, 2008, 4:17:07 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
which is what happened to me!
switch me to April 6

chiles

Dec 5, 2008, 4:24:31 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
i'd like to sign up for Feb 9, but can they send me a copy in
Singapore? that's where i am

On Dec 6, 5:17 am, Lee Henderson <lee-hender...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> which is what happened to me!
> switch me to April 6
>
> On 5-Dec-08, at 1:16 PM, Matt Bucher wrote:
>

> > NOTE: Please reply to the most recent message so that you aren't
> > picking date that's already taken. First come first serve!
>
> > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Patrick Ricci
> > <patricknri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dillon Young
> >> <tclibraria...@gmail.com>

Lucas

Dec 5, 2008, 4:25:35 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
hi all,

i'd be happy to lead the second discussion on "The Part About
Amalfitano" slated for February 9th.

On Dec 5, 4:16 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NOTE: Please reply to the most recent message so that you aren't
> picking date that's already taken. First come first serve!
>

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Patrick Ricci <patricknri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dillon Young <tclibraria...@gmail.com>

Lucas

Dec 5, 2008, 4:27:04 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
hm, you beat me to it by a minute!

in that case, i'll take on March 9 - pages 353-404.

thanks,

lucas de lima

Ana

Dec 5, 2008, 4:41:25 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
hi -- i'd like to sign myself & some literary pals up for the part
about fate.

The Part About Fate
February 16 - pages 231-273 Nick Burd
February 23 - pages 274-312 Ana Bozicevic and Lilly Sullivan

that works?

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 4:47:25 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Feb 16 is taken.

This is the current schedule:

The Part About the Critics
January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher

January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira

January 26 - pages 102-159

The Part About Amalfitano
February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young
February 9 - pages 195-228 - Chiles

The Part About Fate
February 16 - pages 231-273 - Patrick Ricci
February 23 - pages 274-312 - Ana Bozicevic and Lilly Sullivan

March 2 - pages 312-349

The Part About the Crimes

March 9 - pages 353-404 - Lucas de lima

March 16 - pages 404-459
March 23 - pages 459-513
March 30 - pages 513-564
April 6 - pages 564-633 - Lee Henderson

The Part About Archimboldi
April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery
April 20 - pages 689-738
April 27 - pages 738-784
May 4 - pages 784-838
May 11 - pages 838-893

Nick B

Dec 5, 2008, 4:49:43 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
I'll do March 2 - pages 312-349 . Name is added below.

On Dec 5, 4:47 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Feb 16 is taken.
>
> This is the current schedule:
> The Part About the Critics
> January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
> January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira
> January 26 - pages 102-159
>
> The Part About Amalfitano
> February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young
> February 9 - pages 195-228 - Chiles
>
> The Part About Fate
> February 16 - pages 231-273 - Patrick Ricci
> February 23 - pages 274-312 - Ana Bozicevic and Lilly Sullivan
> March 2 - pages 312-349 - Nick Burd
>
> The Part About the Crimes
> March 9 - pages 353-404 - Lucas de lima
> March 16 - pages 404-459
> March 23 - pages 459-513
> March 30 - pages 513-564
> April 6 - pages 564-633 - Lee Henderson
>
> The Part About Archimboldi
> April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery
> April 20 - pages 689-738
> April 27 - pages 738-784
> May 4 - pages 784-838
> May 11 - pages 838-893

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 4:52:21 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Updated list below. Only six spots left!

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Nick B <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll do March 2 - pages 312-349 . Name is added below.

>> This is the current schedule:
>> The Part About the Critics
>> January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
>> January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira
>> January 26 - pages 102-159
>>
>> The Part About Amalfitano
>> February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young
>> February 9 - pages 195-228 - Chiles
>>
>> The Part About Fate
>> February 16 - pages 231-273 - Patrick Ricci
>> February 23 - pages 274-312 - Ana Bozicevic and Lilly Sullivan
>> March 2 - pages 312-349 - Nick Burd
>>
>> The Part About the Crimes
>> March 9 - pages 353-404 - Lucas de lima
>> March 16 - pages 404-459
>> March 23 - pages 459-513
>> March 30 - pages 513-564 - Richard Melo
>> April 6 - pages 564-633 - Lee Henderson
>>
>> The Part About Archimboldi
>> April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery
>> April 20 - pages 689-738 - Katherine Gilhooley

Lee Henderson

Dec 5, 2008, 4:55:12 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Can you also remind us (me) what's involved with leading a section?

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 4:58:35 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Signing up to "lead" or "moderate" a section means that you kick off
the discussion that week by giving a brief synopsis of what happens in
the section and any notes you have to share---it can be anything from
tracking down an obscure reference to questions about the plot,
talking about the translation, vocabulary words, etc. Basically
whatever you would say in a real-life book club (to foster
conversation, to learn more about the book, etc.). These types of
group reads work best when there is some close reading involved, but
also talk about the big picture in terms of plot and theme. I'll go
first, so you can sort of gauge it from there.

jodi

Dec 5, 2008, 5:17:16 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
I will take april 20.

thanks!
jodi

On Dec 5, 2:58 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Signing up to "lead" or "moderate" a section means that you kick off
> the discussion that week by giving a brief synopsis of what happens in
> the section and any notes you have to share---it can be anything from
> tracking down an obscure reference to questions about the plot,
> talking about the translation, vocabulary words, etc. Basically
> whatever you would say in a real-life book club (to foster
> conversation, to learn more about the book, etc.). These types of
> group reads work best when there is some close reading involved, but
> also talk about the big picture in terms of plot and theme. I'll go
> first, so you can sort of gauge it from there.
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Lee Henderson <lee-hender...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Can you also remind us (me) what's involved with leading a section?
>
> > On 5-Dec-08, at 1:52 PM, Matt Bucher wrote:
>
> >> Updated list below. Only six spots left!

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 5:18:23 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
That spot is taken. How about April 27?

Dustin Long

Dec 5, 2008, 5:18:51 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
I'll take January 26.

On Dec 5, 4:58 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Signing up to "lead" or "moderate" a section means that you kick off
> the discussion that week by giving a brief synopsis of what happens in
> the section and any notes you have to share---it can be anything from
> tracking down an obscure reference to questions about the plot,
> talking about the translation, vocabulary words, etc. Basically
> whatever you would say in a real-life book club (to foster
> conversation, to learn more about the book, etc.). These types of
> group reads work best when there is some close reading involved, but
> also talk about the big picture in terms of plot and theme. I'll go
> first, so you can sort of gauge it from there.
>

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Lee Henderson <lee-hender...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Can you also remind us (me) what's involved with leading a section?
>
> > On 5-Dec-08, at 1:52 PM, Matt Bucher wrote:
>
> >> Updated list below. Only six spots left!

Stein, Lorin

Dec 5, 2008, 5:33:12 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we can.

William Beutler

Dec 5, 2008, 5:44:37 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I'll take March 30.

Assuming Ctrl-F and Ctrl-G are working properly (on my Dell work laptop, I can take few chances).

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Matt Bucher <mattb...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

New Media Strategies
Innovation Manager
(c) 202.276.2772
(w) http://blogpi.net
(t) http://twitter.com/williambeutler

Andrew

Dec 5, 2008, 5:47:43 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
i'll take march 16, or anything that's outstanding if that's taken.

Message has been deleted

jodi mardesich

Dec 5, 2008, 5:51:41 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
yes, if april 20 is taken, i can lead april 27.

jodi

--
aseriesofsmallfailures.wordpress.com
twitter.com/jodim

EllenFeig

Dec 5, 2008, 5:58:50 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
I can do the May 11th spot if we get that far!

On Dec 5, 4:58 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Signing up to "lead" or "moderate" a section means that you kick off
> the discussion that week by giving a brief synopsis of what happens in
> the section and any notes you have to share---it can be anything from
> tracking down an obscure reference to questions about the plot,
> talking about the translation, vocabulary words, etc. Basically
> whatever you would say in a real-life book club (to foster
> conversation, to learn more about the book, etc.). These types of
> group reads work best when there is some close reading involved, but
> also talk about the big picture in terms of plot and theme. I'll go
> first, so you can sort of gauge it from there.
>

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Lee Henderson <lee-hender...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Can you also remind us (me) what's involved with leading a section?
>
> > On 5-Dec-08, at 1:52 PM, Matt Bucher wrote:
>
> >> Updated list below. Only six spots left!

Brooks Williams

Dec 5, 2008, 6:20:14 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Added myself for May 4th.

Brooks

Andrew Haley

Dec 5, 2008, 6:23:30 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
not sure if i was supposed to tack myself on the list. here's an updated list with my name attached to march 16...

William Beutler

Ed

Dec 5, 2008, 7:13:29 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
I just joined this community, but if it's open to all comers I'll take
March 16. And where would I send to get the book?

Best,
Ed

Feb 16 is taken.

This is the current schedule:
The Part About the Critics
January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira
January 26 - pages 102-159 - X

The Part About Amalfitano
February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young
February 9 - pages 195-228 - Chiles

The Part About Fate
February 16 - pages 231-273 - Patrick Ricci
February 23 - pages 274-312 - Ana Bozicevic and Lilly Sullivan
March 2 - pages 312-349 - X

The Part About the Crimes
March 9 - pages 353-404 - Lucas de lima
March 16 - pages 404-459
March 23 - pages 459-513
March 30 - pages 513-564
April 6 - pages 564-633 - Lee Henderson

The Part About Archimboldi
April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery
April 20 - pages 689-738
April 27 - pages 738-784
May 4 - pages 784-838
May 11 - pages 838-893

Andrew Haley

Dec 5, 2008, 7:15:37 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
march 16 is taken...

zsuzsa mitro

Dec 5, 2008, 7:47:24 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
i'll take

March 23 - pages 459-513
pls

who do i need to give my mailing address?
i'm in hanover nh with a vermont PO Box..

thanks,

zsuzsa

Ed

Dec 5, 2008, 7:52:39 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
Oops! i tried to take March 16th, already taken Need to hit that
refresh button. Trying April 27th now, sorry for propagating an old
version.

Best,
Ed

On Dec 5, 7:47 pm, "zsuzsa mitro" <mitro.zsu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'll take
>
> March 23 - pages 459-513
> pls
>
> who do i need to give my mailing address?
> i'm in hanover nh with a vermont PO Box..
>
> thanks,
>
> zsuzsa

daryl....@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2008, 7:54:19 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
What does an X mean? I'll take January 26 if X doesn't mean the date
is closed and if I can get the books in the next week or two so that I
have holiday time to do the reading. Sadly, I can't commit much
farther out than that.

samuelf...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2008, 8:28:41 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
I'll do the final section.

On Dec 5, 4:52 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Updated list below. Only six spots left!

Dustin Long

Dec 5, 2008, 8:36:09 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
January 26th is taken.

And "Siddharta Deb" accidentally replied to me instead of the hroup
volunteering to take April 27, though that also seems to be taken.

On Dec 5, 7:54 pm, "da...@learnhouston.com" <daryl.hous...@gmail.com>

jodi mardesich

Dec 5, 2008, 9:14:04 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
so many volunteers! so few spots. sad i missed out.

jodi
--
aseriesofsmallfailures.wordpress.com
twitter.com/jodim

Brandon

Dec 5, 2008, 9:31:00 PM12/5/08
to bolano-l
Jesus, I'm confused. Is there anything that's NOT taken?

I'll moderate May 4 or May 11. Or anything still open, for that
matter.
> twitter.com/jodim- Hide quoted text -

Matt Bucher

Dec 5, 2008, 10:24:16 PM12/5/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
OK, this is my list (below) based on when these dates were claimed.
Sorry this was so confusing. Let me know if anyone sees a conflict or
wants to switch. We'll collect your mailing addresses next week. For
those of you not leading a section, please please stick around for the
group read. I am sure that each of you has something valuable to
contribuet to the discussion and we don't want to miss it! For those
of you signed up to lead a section, please don't flake out!

The Part About the Critics
January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira
January 26 - pages 102-159 - Dustin Long

The Part About Amalfitano
February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young
February 9 - pages 195-228 - Chiles Samaniego

The Part About Fate
February 16 - pages 231-273 - Patrick Ricci
February 23 - pages 274-312 - Ana Bozicevic and Lilly Sullivan
March 2 - pages 312-349 - Nick Burd

The Part About the Crimes
March 9 - pages 353-404 - Lucas de Lima
March 16 - pages 404-459 - Andrew Haley
March 23 - pages 459-513 - Zsuzsa Mitro
March 30 - pages 513-564 - Richard Melo
April 6 - pages 564-633 - Lee Henderson

The Part About Archimboldi
April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery
April 20 - pages 689-738 - Katherine Gilhooley
April 27 - pages 738-784 - Jodi Mardesich
May 4 - pages 784-838 - Brooks Williams
May 11 - pages 838-893 - Ellen Feig

Andrew Haley

Dec 6, 2008, 2:04:27 AM12/6/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com

i'm not sure where proprietary boundaries lie, but maybe to bump up participation in the group we should reach out to goodreads.com...

Mayakovskaya

Dec 6, 2008, 2:39:16 AM12/6/08
to bolano-l
Sign me up for May 11th! That is the final session, no?

I'm in Beijing, and the last 2 books sent to me for review and reading
never made it. Might have been the Beijing Oh Limp Ick censorship
fest, bc I normally receive all my subscriptions and mail. But in the
event that it's possible to send the books very soon, I will be in
California for 2 weeks (11 Dec-23) so I could ostensibly receive the
books there if sent right away.

We will get reminders of some kind, I hope...

--Maya

On Dec 6, 5:47 am, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Feb 16 is taken.
>
> This is the current schedule:
> The Part About the Critics
> January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
> January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira
> January 26 - pages 102-159
>
> The Part About Amalfitano
> February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young
> February 9 - pages 195-228 - Chiles
>
> The Part About Fate
> February 16 - pages 231-273 - Patrick Ricci
> February 23 - pages 274-312 - Ana Bozicevic and Lilly Sullivan
> March 2 - pages 312-349
>
> The Part About the Crimes
> March 9 - pages 353-404 - Lucas de lima
> March 16 - pages 404-459
> March 23 - pages 459-513
> March 30 - pages 513-564
> April 6 - pages 564-633 - Lee Henderson
>
> The Part About Archimboldi
> April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery
> April 20 - pages 689-738
> April 27 - pages 738-784
> May 4 - pages 784-838
> May 11 - pages 838-893

Scott O. Handy

Dec 6, 2008, 9:16:18 AM12/6/08
to bolano-l
Hey Matt -- Count me in to lead the final "The Part About the Critics"
-- Jan. 26. I'm a longtime wallace-ler (lurker mostly). This is my
first shot at Bolano. The deal from the publisher is way too good to
pass up in lurkerdom!

Cheers, and thanks for putting this together!

Scott

On Dec 4, 5:19 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Part About the Critics
> January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
> January 19 - pages 51-102
> January 26 - pages 102-159
>
> The Part About Amalfitano
> February 2 - pages 163-195
> February 9 - pages 195-228
>
> The Part About Fate
> February 16 - pages 231-273
> February 23 - pages 274-312
> March 2 - pages 312-349
>
> The Part About the Crimes
> March 9 - pages 353-404
> March 16 - pages 404-459
> March 23 - pages 459-513
> March 30 - pages 513-564
> April 6 - pages 564-633
>
> The Part About Archimboldi
> April 13 - pages 637-689
> April 20 - pages 689-738
> April 27 - pages 738-784
> May 4 - pages 784-838
> May 11 - pages 838-893
>
> OK, for those of you on the wallace list, you basically know how a
> group read works, but for those just joining us, here's a rundown.
> Signing up to "lead" or "moderate" a section means that you kick off
> the discussion that week by giving a brief synopsis of what happens in
> the section and any notes you have to share---it can be anything from

Angus Trumble

Dec 6, 2008, 9:30:46 AM12/6/08
to bolano-l
Hello Matt. I am checking in at the suggestion of Lorin Stein and
Georgia Cool, and I would very much like to volunteer to lead The
first portion of The Part About Amalfitano in the forthcoming group
read of 2666. The choice of this particular chunk is mainly an issue
of timing. In the week of February 2 I will be on holiday by the
seaside at home in Australia, so this would suit me very well. Cheers,
A. T.
Angus Trumble
Message has been deleted

Andrew Haley

Dec 6, 2008, 4:05:25 PM12/6/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
you're using an outdated list. i think all the slots are taken...

maureen

Dec 7, 2008, 2:56:35 PM12/7/08
to bolano-l
I'll take March 16th...Thanks!

On Dec 5, 2:18 pm, Dustin Long <dus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll take January 26.
>
> On Dec 5, 4:58 pm, "Matt Bucher" <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Signing up to "lead" or "moderate" a section means that you kick off
> > the discussion that week by giving a brief synopsis of what happens in
> > the section and any notes you have to share---it can be anything from
> > tracking down an obscure reference to questions about the plot,
> > talking about the translation, vocabulary words, etc. Basically
> > whatever you would say in a real-life book club (to foster
> > conversation, to learn more about the book, etc.). These types of
> > group reads work best when there is some close reading involved, but
> > also talk about the big picture in terms of plot and theme. I'll go
> > first, so you can sort of gauge it from there.
>
> > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Lee Henderson <lee-hender...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > > Can you also remind us (me) what's involved with leading a section?

maureen

Dec 7, 2008, 2:58:48 PM12/7/08
to bolano-l
Whoops--sorry for not reading carefully enough.

Andrew Haley

Dec 8, 2008, 1:41:15 AM12/8/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
whoa, i've had march 16 for days

cwhit...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2008, 4:03:23 PM12/8/08
to bolano-l

I'll take March 23!

Matt Bucher

Dec 8, 2008, 4:04:44 PM12/8/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if it's not clear, but signups are closed. We filled all the
spots on December 5. Here is the schedule:

[...]

Lee Henderson

Dec 15, 2008, 2:18:35 AM12/15/08
to bola...@googlegroups.com
This week's issue has a story by Bolano, available online:

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/12/22/081222fi_fiction_bolano

Lee Henderson

Apr 3, 2009, 10:12:50 PM4/3/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I hope no one minds that am posting early, I figured because conversation has stalled in the 2666 group read, everyone agreeing this 4th part to be heavy-duty, I thought we could keep things rolling if I posted.

So now we have arrived at pages 564 - 633 of our 2666 group read, and thus completes the harrowing middle book of 2666, The Part About The Crimes.

I'm moderating this section. I did not know what I was up against when I volunteered.

For a while I only read one murder a day, right before going to bed. I didn't want more, but neither could I stop plowing the dark.

This is the end of 365 pages detailing the heinous murders of hundreds of factory women. Bolano has done a great service to the real victims in Juarez by giving each death in St Teresa her own real moment in the story. The result is a giant hellacious prayer.

As a literary conceit this felt like the most avant-garde section of 2666 so far, perhaps it is even an example of purist "infrarealist"? In its structure, it comes to remind me of Bolano's Nazi Literature in America.

--and as I read it, I kept thinking of extreme noise music. It's fucking brutal, but it's really really good.

Page 566 we learn the wonderful story of the Mexican man who stood in possession of the most enters & expulsions from the United States, kicked out of America 345 times. It got so the "coyotes" wouldn't charge him, treating the man like a "good-luck-charm." "God willing, the man said, so long as he was in good health he would never give up on the idea of living in the United States." This strikes me as amazing TexMex satire.

All through this section, I kept thinking of the world's biggest hole, miles in diameter and over a thousand feet deep, a diamond extract, a man-made hole to hell beside the town of Mirna in Siberia. This hole is so big that the gravity over it can suck a helicopter out of the sky.

pg 594 the visiting expert on serial killers Alfred Kessler (who reminded me a great deal of the same character as he appears in season 5 of The Wire), falls asleep after a party and dreams of "a crater and a man pacing around it. That man is probably me, he said to himself in the dream, but it didn't strike him as important and the image was lost."

To open the discussion, I wanted to ask folks who've been reading what they thought of how the story of Kelly Rivera Parker is woven into the narrative, becoming the most detailed portrait of a victim as well as conclusion to this final portion of The Part About The Crimes.

Lee

Lee Henderson

Apr 9, 2009, 4:53:16 PM4/9/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
No replies to my post. My fault? Did I say something? Does this mean the 2666 reading group is dead or we should move on to the next part??

Matt Bucher

Apr 9, 2009, 5:08:46 PM4/9/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Aw man, I hate that feeling. I read your recap and thought it was great, Lee. People seem most turned off by this Part, but for me it defied my expectations. When I first read the early reviews of 2666, they all mentioned The Part About the Crimes as being the most brutal. I expected autopsy report after autopsy report of graphic details about torn genitals, entrails, vats of blood, gore upon gore, etc., when really what I got there were "crimes" in the sense that not all of them were murders, most of them were unexplainable after the fact and they were deeply intertwined with police work. I did not expect the recurring characters in the vignettes, the Penitent, Haas, the Director, etc. I did find this section slow-going at times, but not to the point where I wanted to abandon the book.

ellen feig

Apr 9, 2009, 5:15:42 PM4/9/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I will be honest that life has interferred with my reading...Damn!
--
Ellen Rosner Feig

Lee Henderson

Apr 12, 2009, 4:15:27 PM4/12/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I found the Part About the Crimes quite fascinating. Unlike most crime novels, this one was not intended to read as a thriller by any means. It's not even a mystery, in the sense of an unraveling of clues. The detectives seem totally disinterested in clues. The narrative is not built around clues, but around perceptions.

Rather than an exploration of genre, it was a study of the slow and steady excruciating consequences of disorganized inaction and satanic obedience to amoral policy. Rightly so it appears one part before the rise of a Nazi through the ranks of another amoral policy of human destruction. I thought the Crimes was probably the most courageous and outlandish part of the book.

I really liked Haas. He seemed like a devil among devils. His dialogue was fiery and original. I kept feeling certain he was Arcimboldo. And I was very moved by the slowly building portrait of Kelly Parker that takes up this last part of the Part. As a tribute to the missing women, I felt Bolano did a powerful job by ending with a careful portrait like that, especially considering that the only person who seems to care about her being missing is another woman, the American congresswoman. In the last thirty pages, we suddenly find out detective in her, but by then, Bolano seems to suggest, it might be too little too late.

Lee

Marco Carbone

Apr 12, 2009, 6:55:13 PM4/12/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
"I felt Bolano did a powerful job by ending with a careful portrait like that"

But I also don't think it was a coincidence that the women who
received the most in-depth investigation was an American who didn't
work in a maquiladora.

-marco