Is this group still active?

alex fraser

Mar 31, 2019, 12:50:20 PM3/31/19
to BOAR-Net
Is this group still active?

ab...@aol.com

Mar 31, 2019, 1:34:10 PM3/31/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
Have not seen anything posted for a couple years.

--

The next generation of communications technology in the Amateur Radio service!

Broadband Over Amateur Radio Networks

---

Paul - W4ATN

Mar 31, 2019, 2:08:30 PM3/31/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
Same here! I had forgotten about the group.

Paul - W4ATN
Grid: FM18qw
ARRL Life Member
Sent from my iPhone XS

ab...@aol.com

Mar 31, 2019, 8:43:38 PM3/31/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
I gave my collection of Linksys WRT54G v1 - v4, GL, etc. Linux routers (about 50) to a BOAR group in an outer suburb of DC about 18 months ago and have not heard from them since.

I still use Verizon DSL at home with Windows 7 on a Dell laptop with a lot of extra RAM. It's fast. No problems, unlike Windows 8 and 10.

Also pay my monthly bills via the US Mail and pay cash for gas, have not had my debit card hacked. Also am not on Facebook and Twitter. Few to no spam or hacking attempts.

Rick Han

Apr 1, 2019, 11:57:41 AM4/1/19
to BOAR-Net
Hi Jim,

I teach at Capitol Technology University (formerly Capitol College) in Maryland and am restarting our Amateur Radio Club. If the BOAR group doesn't plan to use your routers, we would be glad to put them to work on experiments for BOAR.

For the group, Ubiquiti has a number of Wifi routers that will operate on the shared freqs and can provide multi-megabit links at 10 miles for a cost of $100. A ham friend in SC used them in the unlicensed service to provide internet and phone to areas that only had DSL.

Thanks, Rick
WB9TSO/3
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to boar-net+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/boar-net.

The next generation of communications technology in the Amateur Radio service!

Broadband Over Amateur Radio Networks

---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/boar-net.

The next generation of communications technology in the Amateur Radio service!

Broadband Over Amateur Radio Networks

---

ab...@aol.com

Apr 1, 2019, 7:39:39 PM4/1/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what the Loudoun County amateur group has been doing with BOAR on 2.4 Ghz. Have not heard from them. Last I heard 3.3 Ghz was under discussion as the best BOAR network, because of low QRN. DSL is still alive inside the DC Beltway, 'cause if if have a Win 7 PC with at least 16 GB of RAM installed it's really fast at 54 MB.

Martin

Apr 1, 2019, 8:08:28 PM4/1/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
It looks like there are people looking to get involved https://www.arednmesh.org/forums/virginia

AREDN has become the ham standard on the west coast.  There is a major installation in LA.

73,

Martin
W6MRR

ba...@starpower.net

Apr 1, 2019, 11:17:06 PM4/1/19
to n3...@arrl.net, dcmk...@gmail.com, rickh...@hotmail.com, boar...@googlegroups.com, nova...@googlegroups.com
All,

From lack of recent posts on BOAR-Net, it appears that the hot MESH activity has moved to several other sites and groups.

Likewise, it appears that the Broadband-Hamnet site still exists, for reference (especially for trusty WRT-54G boxes), but again, the hot activity has moved to AREDN, using mostly Ubiquiti, plus MikroTik and TP-Link boxes.

See http://www.hsmm-mesh.org/

Therefore, we recommend:

Nationwide, see arednmesh.org

Dig down for forums for various tech and issues, but also you local state or region!
For Virginia... https://www.arednmesh.org/forums/virginia

In the Northern Virginia area, the active group is Nova MESH, and they are designing and deploying in and around the area, including NoVa, Shenandoah, Manassas, Leesburg, etc. More MESHies appreciated, and more sites wanted!

See NoVa AREDN MESH https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nova-mesh

RICK - WB9TSO - IF you are serious about leveraging some WRT54G family boxes, vice newer Ubiquiti etc, feel free to email N3...@arrl.net. We can chat.

Thanks All!

Gene :)
N3EV

Alex Fraser

Apr 2, 2019, 12:15:59 AM4/2/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, good info.  If you don't mind I'd like to forward this to the
AMRAD Tacos email reflector. If you are on that list would you post it
there?

Let me know either way.

Gary Eldridge

Apr 2, 2019, 3:29:42 PM4/2/19
to BOAR-Net
Jim,
I used to live just a few blocks from your college, in the Montpelier neighborhood. I was with Prince George's Community College but recently retired and moved to Idaho about 8 or 9 months ago. Would have been fun to experiment on this with you and run links between our locations. I just dug out my routers a couple days ago after unpacking a few boxes from the move and now hoping I can make use of them and learn something. I like to experiment but in this area I mostly have to follow directions as I have little IT background. I will tell you that I bought several Lynksys wireless routers for only a few dollars each at the 2nd Ave thrift store just up at the north end of route 197. They kept showing up there and every time I went into the store I would check and often find another one on the shelf so I would buy it. You might try that if you need to gather more items. I now have 5 or 6 of these and have flashed the Hamnet firmware into them. I'm hoping I can find more interest in this and more tutoring to learn my way into it a little deeper. It's interesting that after years of silence there is all of a sudden a bunch of traffic on this board.

Regards,
Gary - KC8UD

Gary Eldridge

Apr 2, 2019, 3:33:44 PM4/2/19
to BOAR-Net
Sorry, meant to address this to Rick.

ab...@aol.com

Apr 2, 2019, 5:45:58 PM4/2/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
I have a couple of new Linksys Linux routers I bought 3 years ago and have not unpacked.

There are now several different modes of communication being used by hams on VHF and UHF for emergency comms and the question needs to be asked if it's appropriate for hams living in one place to use digital Mode X which has been around for awhile, and hams living 50 miles away to use digital Mode Y, which hasn't been around long, and hams living a few miles from them just getting into using a brand new digital Mode Z.

Alex Fraser

Apr 3, 2019, 12:55:11 PM4/3/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com

Ham Radio is an interesting hobby.  I've seen some "modes" over the years.

Experimentation.

Public service.

Socializing.

They are of course related and intermingled.  It is all voluntary of course, so no one pulls out the whip.

It is interesting that people seem to have a need to justify forming a network as a rule based on public service.

I think just doing it because it is fun is a good enough reason and in the end, as you can see with the rise of social networking employing the joy of being social to build a net might get to the desired goal quicker and maybe make it possible at all.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BOAR-Net" group.

ab...@aol.com

Apr 3, 2019, 8:33:09 PM4/3/19
to boar...@googlegroups.com
Yes...for fun and interesting experiences.... How about for emergency comms? A few years ago inside-the-DC-Beltway 'First Responders' decided on DSTAR. What's the 'standard' for digital broadband?

Does it even matter? Several years ago, when the power went off in my neighborhood for days after a severe Summer storm, a couple of First Responders arrived in a Red Cross van loaded with comm equipment and told us. "Don't Worry, Be Happy...Dominion will be around  any day now to restore power"..then they took off for the next neighborhood.Two days later we had power. Meantime, hundreds of tons of spoiled food got tossed onto the curb for trash pickup.