velocity?

Michael Bayer

Mar 20, 2012, 6:29:24 PM3/20/12
to blogofil...@googlegroups.com
As I continue to recommend Blogofile to all who ask, it's hard not to notice that development seems to have stopped.  Per https://github.com/EnigmaCurry/blogofile/commits/plugins the last commit appears to be 11 months ago.  According to discussions at Pycon, apparently some folks are using the development version of 0.8, but things are where they're at.

The situation now is that people ask about site generators all the time, more active solutions like Mynt (http://mynt.mirroredwhite.com/), which AFAICT was written because the author couldn't be bothered to read the docs for Blogofile (source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/ovdkp/mynt_a_static_blog_generator/c3kgb7f), and of course Jekyll and variants are pulling ahead, none of which do things the way I'd like them to.

So it's 11 months since project activity, it's time to make a choice:

1. Announce that Blogofile is stalled, and needs a new maintainer, and that the project is open to such.
2. Announce / imply that Blogofile is stalled, but is not open to a new maintainer, in which case it's time for a fork.
3. Option 1 or 2, except there's really nobody interested in taking over, in which case I have to start recommending something else.
4. Announce that Blogofile is not dead, here's the roadmap for 0.8, then it happens.

Otherwise, other static generators are quickly steamrolling over whatever progress Blogofile has made.

The most critical thing would be to release 0.8.  I also think it would be an extremely good idea to drop the 3to2 dependency and just publish as a 2.6/3.3 compatible source base, which is now very straightforward and that's where things are going: see https://github.com/mitsuhiko/python-modernize

Mike Pirnat

Mar 20, 2012, 7:04:51 PM3/20/12
to blogofil...@googlegroups.com, blogofil...@googlegroups.com
I had a few separate conversations at PyCon about Blogofile, and the topic of forking/continuing came up in all of them. I'd be in favor of most of those options and would like to get back to contributing however I can.

--
"I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar..."

Ryan McGuire

Mar 20, 2012, 9:42:40 PM3/20/12
to blogofil...@googlegroups.com
Blogofile is not something I am working on anymore, which is probably pretty obvious by now. I have other things going on in my life that are of much greater importance to me right now. I appreciate that so many people have found Blogofile to be useful, but ultimately I wrote it for myself and it's not something that is fulfilling to me personally right now.

If someone feels strongly enough that they want to take over where I left off, either in an "official" capacity, using the same name/domain, or if they rather fork the project, all of that is fine with me. I'd like to hang on to the domain name, but if someone wants to maintain the site, that's fine too.

I feel guilty in leaving the project hanging in the state that it is for so long, but I hope that people will understand that things that you once loved can twist in your brain and turn into more of a chore. I don't feel like anyone should continue something that they don't feel great about, especially in the realm of free software.

Vladimir D.

Mar 21, 2012, 1:52:52 AM3/21/12
to blogofil...@googlegroups.com
I'm found recently blogofile for myself, It is sad to see that the author of the project decided to stop participating in it.

But if looking further... I see a fork of the project appeared - Cytoplasm.
and the whole group participates in the development of Cytoplasm. Am I right?
https://github.com/startling/cytoplasm

PS:
* also there are bunch active projects static website generators, but they are all based on the Jinja..

* "Blogofile" was very easy to find, unlike the Cytoplasm. Brand has been promoted well and because of this easy to find the code via GOOGLE.

Damien Riquet

Mar 21, 2012, 8:43:16 AM3/21/12
to blogofil...@googlegroups.com
Life is far more important than any open source projects.
Ryan, it is fully understandable and I am thankful for the work you have done for Blogofile.

I think that forking the project could create a new dynamism, regroup people that contribute or use blogofile.

I found recently a similar Python project (I'm a Python addict ...) that seems quite dynamic (according to Github's Issues part) : Pelican (http://pelican.notmyidea.org/en/2.8/index.html).
It uses Jinja, but it should not be that hard to propose something else.

Damien.

Viktor Haag

Mar 21, 2012, 8:47:53 AM3/21/12

Le 21 mars 2012 06:52, Vladimir D. a écrit :
But if looking further... I see a fork of the project appeared - Cytoplasm.
and the whole group participates in the development of Cytoplasm. Am I right?
https://github.com/startling/cytoplasm

There's also Tinkerer, which is consciously more based on Sphinx and therefore uses Jinja2. I slightly favour the Tinkerer approach because of it's more direct linkage with Sphinx and Restructured Text, but I understand that's not for everyone.

Michael Bayer

Mar 21, 2012, 9:53:11 AM3/21/12

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:42:40 PM UTC-4, Ryan McGuire wrote:
I feel guilty in leaving the project hanging in the state that it is for so long, but I hope that people will understand that things that you once loved can twist in your brain and turn into more of a chore. I don't feel like anyone should continue something that they don't feel great about, especially in the realm of free software.

Nobody understands how much a PITA having OSS projects can be than me, so thanks for being honest and thanks for the terrific product !   We'll try to figure out where it should go.

Michael Bayer

Mar 21, 2012, 10:18:25 AM3/21/12

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:52:52 AM UTC-4, Vladimir D. wrote:
I'm found recently blogofile for myself, It is sad to see that the author of the project decided to stop participating in it.

But if looking further... I see a fork of the project appeared - Cytoplasm.
and the whole group participates in the development of Cytoplasm. Am I right?
https://github.com/startling/cytoplasm

I'm a little confused and discouraged by cytoplasm's apparent dependency on git.   I can see that it wants to pull in themes via git, but this seems unnecessary.    Different packages can be made aware of each other using setuptools entrypoints, but the means of package distribution should not be hardcoded into the software itself.

Vladimir D.

Mar 21, 2012, 2:11:09 PM3/21/12
to blogofil...@googlegroups.com
I added some active static generator sites on the wiki.
The efforts of volunteer programmers too much scattered among them.. some projects very similar...
Maybe some of them don't know about each other. Maybe, they try to repeat success of "Jekyll"...

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Templating