Customising Widget

westius

Mar 25, 2009, 12:51:54 AM3/25/09
to Blogger Related Posts Service
Hi there

The widget is working perfectly on my site (www.mrscienceshow.com) -
thanks!

A couple of questions / suggestions:

1) Is it possible to customise text size / fonts etc within the
widget? Perhaps I need to improve my coding skills!
2) Is it possible to track click-thrus on the widget - ie perhaps
append "?from_brps" to the links it generates?

great work!
marc

livibetter

Mar 25, 2009, 7:46:09 AM3/25/09
to blogger-relate...@googlegroups.com
These are good questions!

> A couple of questions / suggestions:
>
> 1) Is it possible to customise text size / fonts etc within the
> widget? Perhaps I need to improve my coding skills!

It can be achieved by adding CSS to your blog template. I think I will
add a new section to wiki page.

> 2) Is it possible to track click-thrus on the widget - ie perhaps
> append "?from_brps" to the links it generates?

This is a new idea, I will make it happen.

I will get you back, once I got something.

livibetter

Mar 25, 2009, 8:25:59 AM3/25/09
to Blogger Related Posts Service
DONE!

Please check out:
http://code.google.com/p/yjl/wiki/BRPS?ts=1237983722&updated=BRPS#CSS
http://code.google.com/p/yjl/wiki/BRPS?ts=1237983722&updated=BRPS#Tracking_Helper

Tracking Helper is newly added to http://brps.appspot.com/brps.js
You may need to refresh http://brps.appspot.com/brps.js
Normally the cache time of it is 7 days, therefore it may take up to 7
days till all your visitors to get latest brps.js.

Thanks westius for suggesting nice ideas!

westius

Mar 25, 2009, 6:42:45 PM3/25/09
to Blogger Related Posts Service
Fantastic - thanks very much for your quick replies.
I've tried a few different "related posts" widgets - some that use
labels and some that try to use text in the blog - but none of them
have worked particularly well. Other ones based on labels dont have
the scoring system that this one does, and the contextual texts ones
dont give relevant related posts. So, this one is just what I've been
after - thanks!

On Mar 25, 11:25 pm, livibetter <livibet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> DONE!
>
> Please check out:http://code.google.com/p/yjl/wiki/BRPS?ts=1237983722&updated=BRPS#CSShttp://code.google.com/p/yjl/wiki/BRPS?ts=1237983722&updated=BRPS#Tra...
>
> Tracking Helper is newly added tohttp://brps.appspot.com/brps.js
> You may need to refreshhttp://brps.appspot.com/brps.js

livibetter

Mar 26, 2009, 5:16:14 AM3/26/09
to Blogger Related Posts Service
> I've tried a few different "related posts" widgets - some that use
> labels and some that try to use text in the blog - but none of them
> have worked particularly well. Other ones based on labels dont have
> the scoring system that this one does, and the contextual texts ones
> dont give relevant related posts. So, this one is just what I've been
> after - thanks!

I have thought about going deep into text level. But that's was too
complicated and may not have good result if the algorithm isn't good.
Beside, at beginning, I want to make BRPS as simple as possible.

So far, BRPS is roughly around 100K+ requests (hist. max. 160K+) a day
and 100+ active blogs (hist. max. 140+). That has drawn nearly 10% of
resource of GAE under the free account limit. I want to keep BRPS
free, so it's more likely impossible to go into textual relating.

I guess soon or later, I have to find a way to reduce requests amount
(coding skill doesn't help reduce), which should be the first over the
free quota.

Thanks for using BRPS!