Re: Eclipse_Wikipedia_Editor

Axel Kramer

Mar 16, 2009, 3:58:07 PM3/16/09
to Bliki - Java/Eclipse Wikipedia API
On Mar 16, 8:27 pm, Bjoern <sl.cont...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi

> first post to this list.
>
> I've experimented a little with the Eclipse Wikipedia Editor - great
> stuff.http://www.matheclipse.org/en/Eclipse_Wikipedia_Editor
>
> Two quick comments:
> It seems as if it isn't conflict aware: Changes on the wiki that
> happened since download seem to be overwritten. Or have I somehow
> misconfigured it?
No that's a problem.

> Page names with ":" are converted to "/", but "User:A" and "User/A"
> are both valid mediawiki pages (and different). I can see the logic
> with converting ":" to "/", but the best solution may be to keep the
> ":", but add the "/" anyway, to give "User:/SomeUser". ("User:" is an
> invalid page name, as long as the namespace "User" exists. There are
> some further pagename issues, e.g. that "User:/" is a valid page
> name.)
The problem is that not all valid Wikipedia names are valid File/
Folder names:
http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm

> The Eclipse Wikipedia Editor is great. I haven't seen (many) other
> tools like that, and I really think the approach is very good.
>
> Axel: Are you planning to develop it further?
In the long run maybe. But for the shorter timeframe I would like to
concentrate more on
http://matheclipse.org/en/Java_Wikipedia_API

If someone else is interested to maintain the Eclipse plugin, I can of
course help integrating some tools already defined in the Java
Wikipedia API like for example:
* rewriting the download and querying functions to use:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/api.php instead of the Wikipedia
Special:Export feature
http://code.google.com/p/gwtwiki/source/browse/trunk/info.bliki.wiki/bliki-core/src/main/java/info/bliki/#bliki/api/query
* storing the downloaded texts in a local Derby database instead of
using the file system:
http://code.google.com/p/gwtwiki/source/browse/trunk/info.bliki.wiki/bliki-core/src/main/java/info/bliki/api/creator/WikiDB.java
* using the newest Parser engine which supports parser functions
* ...

Bjoern

Mar 16, 2009, 5:59:57 PM3/16/09
to Bliki - Java/Eclipse Wikipedia API
Hi Axel,

thanks for the response.

> > Axel: Are you planning to develop it further?
>
> In the long run maybe. But for the shorter timeframe I would like to
> concentrate more onhttp://matheclipse.org/en/Java_Wikipedia_API
>
> If someone else is interested to maintain the Eclipse plugin, I can of
> course help integrating some tools already defined in the Java
> Wikipedia API like for example:

How much work do you think a competent java programmer would have to
put in to add conflict detection and resolution to the Eclipse plugin,
as well as to provide API integration via bliki (to minimise traffic
and speed up page downloading)?

Best,
Bjoern

Axel Kramer

Mar 16, 2009, 7:34:52 PM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 10:59 pm, Bjoern <sl.cont...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> How much work do you think a competent java programmer would have to
> put in to add conflict detection and resolution to the Eclipse plugin,
> as well as to provide API integration via bliki (to minimise traffic
> and speed up page downloading)?
To provide API integration for page downloading is easy. Uploading is
more complicated.

About conflict detection and resolution I'm not sure how to implement
this in the best way?
* Maybe with a local SVN repository instead of the Derby database
which can do detection and resolution? Here is a link to a pure SVN
tool http://svnkit.com/. But I don't have any experiences with such an
approach!
* or maybe with a simple diff tool if that's enough:
http://www.incava.org/projects/java/java-diff/index.html
There are also already built-in tools in Eclipse for diffs (Select
two files you like to compare in your workspace. In the Navigator view
or Package Explorer view choose the context menu with a "right mouse
click" and choose menu "Compare With -> Each Other".)