Quicksilver keeps crashing

Andinel

Jan 13, 2008, 3:52:01 AM1/13/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Almost every time I start Quicksilver, it ends up crashing when I look
at certain folders that I have no trouble navigating otherwise. Is
there any reason for this?

My last Console entry looks like this:
1/13/08 12:51:36 AM com.apple.launchd[171]
([0x0-0x94094].com.blacktree.Quicksilver[791]) Exited abnormally:
Segmentation fault

Brandon

Jan 17, 2008, 8:40:56 PM1/17/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
What version are you running?

MrScienceTeach

Jan 20, 2008, 9:33:35 AM1/20/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I'm having a similar problem runnning OS 10.5.1 on a MacBook, and my
console entries are either Segmentation Faults or like this one:
1/20/08 9:13:14 AM com.apple.launchd[63]
([0x0-0x2d02d].com.blacktree.Quicksilver[276]) Exited abnormally:
Trace/BPT trap

As with Andinel, every time I navigate to some places, it hangs for a
few seconds and then crashes.

Help?

screature

Jan 20, 2008, 3:22:08 PM1/20/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Hi There ,

I am new to Quick silver but not to Macs. I was having the same kind
of problems with QS that you guys were describing, it kept crashing
but for me it was a problem with setting up triggers. I was able to
determine by going to ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/
Triggers.plist and looking at the file info that the default app set
for the Triggers.plist was for some reason or another set to a program
other than Quicksilver. I tried just changing it in the info dialog,
but it would end up always switching back. I had to set it as the
default and also click on the Change All... button in the info box to
make it stick. Since then I have not had any problems. I don't quite
know the exact nature of your problems but I would go to ~/Library/
Application Support/Quicksilver/ and see if there any .plist files
that are point to the wrong app and then fix it the way that I did and
see if this works. Good luck! Oh BTW I am running Leopard on a MacPro.

Howard Melman

Jan 20, 2008, 4:23:11 PM1/20/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately this kind of error message doesn't help. What's often
the case for these kinds of random crashes is that one or more of the
installed plugins are unstable. If you have all the plugins
installed, disable those you don't use.

I had started a Problematic Plugins thread in the old forums that
listed the broken ones, but it's gone and I don't have and can't find
that list. Does anyone else have it?

I think disabling the Developer Module might help, but I could be
mistaken.
The Services Menu Module caused slow startups but I think otherwise
worked.
The TextMate Ranker broke Open With... and a few other things

Howard

fogboy

Jan 21, 2008, 11:02:14 AM1/21/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
ok folks, i feel like together we are going to give this problem the
smackdown.

I'm running qs b54 (3815) w/ advance features enabled, and i've got
the exact same symptom and console result as those above, and i've
tried reinstalling a freshly downloaded qs, trashing all my prefs /
library, and paring down to just the "essential" plug-ins.

if it is one of the plugins, how exactly would i/we tell which one
(besides deactivating and reactivating until we find the culprit)?

if any qs expert on this list knows, please tell us. otherwise, i will
begin that process.

here's the only plugins i'm running:

apple address book module
bezel interface
dictionary module
HotKey Triggers
iCal triggers
iTunes module
Primer Interface
Social Bookmarks
Text Manipulation Actions
Web Search Module

that's it. if i have time today, i'll continue to update here, taking
culprits off the list.
Message has been deleted

fogboy

Jan 21, 2008, 11:20:52 AM1/21/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
FWIW, all the .plist files in my ~/Library/ApSupport/QS are set to
open with "ccc_helper" -- I don't know what that is, but until i hear
definitively otherwise, i won't change that. screature, what wrong app
were your plist file(s) set to?
Message has been deleted

hmelman

Jan 21, 2008, 11:40:55 AM1/21/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I don't think any of those plugins would be a problem. Are you also on
Leopard?

If by Open With you mean in the Finder's Get Info dialog, for when you
double click the app, mine is set to Property List Editor. I don't
think this setting would be a problem. ccc_helper is from Carbon Copy
Cloner, and while I wouldn't guess it would be an issue, I don't know
anything about it.

Howard

fogboy

Jan 21, 2008, 12:06:11 PM1/21/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
oops sorry, i'm running 10.5.1 -- what SHOULD they be set to? Property
list editor? Quicksilver?
thanks

Howard Melman

Jan 21, 2008, 12:17:29 PM1/21/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it matters what they are set to. QS will open them as
data files. That setting, as far as I know, only matters if you
double-click the plist file (which I only do when trying to figure
out what QS is doing).

Howard

fogboy

Jan 22, 2008, 1:55:33 PM1/22/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
so we are back at square one. help! alcor? anyone?

Graham Ashton

Jan 23, 2008, 6:16:33 AM1/23/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
On Jan 22, 6:55 pm, fogboy <fogboy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> so we are back at square one. help! alcor? anyone?

I'm getting the same error, also on 10.5.1. I disabled all my
installed plugins (except for the bezel and primer ones) and restarted
QS. Problem persists, only the message in the Console.app this time
wasn't "Segmentation fault" but "Bus error". I've also seen the "Trace/
BPT trap" error.

I'm running build 3815.

nontoppo

Jan 23, 2008, 2:43:32 PM1/23/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Have any of you tried shutting down QS, then archiving (back them up
then delete the originals):

~/Library/Application support/Quicksilver
~/Library/Preferences/com.blacktree.Quicksilver.plist

and deleting:

~/Library/Caches/com.blacktree.Quicksilver

then restarting?

Also try Ankur's build, as it appears to crash less for some people
(it says it is 3814, but the build number is pretty irrelevant):

http://lipidity.com/software/quicksilver/

Jono

Jan 23, 2008, 3:24:20 PM1/23/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Yea, I said over at the old forum that I was wrongly blaming
Quicksilver for a lot of problems I was having with it.

In the end I trashed all settings & preferences for Quicksilver &
rebuilt my catalogue from scratch.
It sorted out a lot of the problems I was having & runs much better
now. (I'm also using Ankur's build).

fogboy

Jan 23, 2008, 5:23:01 PM1/23/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
ah, i had hopes. i did exactly as nontoppo describes above, including
replacing with ankur's build

same exact crashes. help! i'm doing Mac productivity trainings for
lots of eager users really soon. QS is the centerpiece of these
trainings and it is yuk to have to explain to them, "um quicksilver is
great, really it is... even if it keeps crashing...."

thanks nontoppo and jono for your suggestions.

nontoppo

Jan 24, 2008, 10:25:40 AM1/24/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Is this on a clean Leopard Install?

Does console show any errors?

Does it happen on a fresh reboot?

Sorry for the drastic suggestion, but what about reinstalling Leopard
from Scratch?

fogboy

Jan 28, 2008, 1:07:02 PM1/28/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
thanks for your reply, my responses to each:

1. yes, this began happening directly after i installed leopard. (see
#4 for more on this)

2. the console log shows:

1/28/08 9:55:00 AM com.apple.launchd[202]
([0x0-0x1b81b8].com.blacktree.Quicksilver[4484]) Exited abnormally:
Segmentation fault

3. yes, it happens after rebooting, and after regular maintenance
(resetting permissions etc)

4. well, not erasing the hard drive but installing leopard fresh.
erasing the HD and starting all over again would be drastic but if i
had a detailed explanation of why that would work (but it seems like
fully uninstalling qs and installing fresh would be sufficient?), i
would certainly take the time. (a long time! -- to either install
leopard again, or to do a full erase-and-install)

oh and FWIW, this is happening to me (and others i've spoken with) in
all these circumstances:

+ after full uninstall and reinstall of qs
+ regardless of which version (i've had the same symptom on both B54
3814 (or was it 3815?) and now the Ankur's build (b55 3814)
+ regardless of the depth of my catalog (1 or 2 folders deep)
+ regardless of any plugins that are active, even if no additional
plugins than the default are loaded.

the 3 power users i've talked to in person off-list have said they
just keep qs in the dock for easy restarting and have not tried to
troubleshoot the problem.

thanks nontopo and others, we're *really* hoping anyone can help solve
this problem.
~ fogboy

Sesquipedalian

Jan 30, 2008, 11:23:33 PM1/30/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I notice that you have the iCal plugin loaded. It doesn't work on
Leopard due to internal changes Apple made to iCal. You can unload
that one. I don't know if it will help fix your problem, but it won't
hurt.

fogboy

Feb 1, 2008, 1:04:43 AM2/1/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
the ical plugin is working without fail for me on b55.

regarding the other crashing issues, i did notice this person over on
the b55 discussion, posting about how he finally got it to work
without probs:

http://lipidity.com/apple/quicksilver-b5x-download/comment-page-2/#comment-50899

kind of a long process but perhaps worth it. i will try and post back
here. if more than one of us does so, we can perhaps narrow down the
issue(s).

fogboy

Feb 1, 2008, 9:24:37 AM2/1/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
UPDATE -- the person i mentioned is seydoggy, and here's the detailed
steps they took to get b55 working stable:

http://lipidity.com/apple/quicksilver-b5x-download/comment-page-2/#comment-51053

On Jan 31, 10:04 pm, fogboy <fogboy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the ical plugin is working without fail for me on b55.
>
> regarding the other crashing issues, i did notice this person over on
> the b55 discussion, posting about how he finally got it to work
> without probs:
>
> http://lipidity.com/apple/quicksilver-b5x-download/comment-page-2/#co...

fogboy

Feb 1, 2008, 10:59:58 AM2/1/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
UPDATE #2 the process described above WORKED for me perfectly.

for convenience, i'm laying out the steps below, with my annotations.

1. quit quicksilver if running

2. Run appzapper on quicksilver (if you don't have it get it at
http://www.appzapper.com/ -- or you can manually delete all four
necessary items as seen here: http://elirosenblatt.org/docs/appzapper.png

3. download and install QS B55 (Ankur build) -- available at
http://lipidity.com/software/quicksilver/

4. open terminal and paste in the following command, then Press
return:

chmod 0644 /Applications/Quicksilver.app/Contents/Info.plist

5. Open QS and go through the setup WITHOUT installing any plugins.

6. In terminal, paste in (and return) each of these following two
lines, in turn:

** but first NOTE you'll need to paste it as text or correct the smart
quotes to regular quotes before hitting return or terminal will choke
on it**

defaults write com.blacktree.Quicksilver "Cutting Edge Features" -bool
yes
defaults write com.blacktree.Quicksilver "Feature Level" 3

7. Quit and relaunch QS

8. You can now adjust your settings and preferences and install some
plugins.

YMMV, but the plugins that worked for me so far with no crashes are:

a) Apple Address Book Module
b) iCal Module
c) Text Manipulation Actions
d) Web Search Module -- NOTE that i disabled all but about 30 of the
available and auto-installed 604 search sources.

Also, i was able to successfully enable a custom catalog item, the
file and folder scanner for my documents folder -- going 2 levels
deep. no crashes when drilling down all the way in multiple folders.

ALSO NOTE i've not yet enabled the social bookmarks module for fear of
certain crash, thus ruining my entire week.

if i'm feeling particularly bold, i may re-enable that next week.
we'll see. for now, a Leopard-stable Quicksilver seems to be
attainable.

sighs of relief, followed by greatly enhanced productivity. yay.

please post a reply here if this method works for you and you are able
to get any *other* plugins to work?

On Feb 1, 6:24 am, fogboy <fogboy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> UPDATE -- the person i mentioned is seydoggy, and here's the detailed
> steps they took to get b55 working stable:
>
> http://lipidity.com/apple/quicksilver-b5x-download/comment-page-2/#co...

Sesquipedalian

Feb 1, 2008, 12:48:54 PM2/1/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
The iCal plugin is working for you? Hm, I'll have to revisit it.
Thanks for that.

seyDoggy

Feb 2, 2008, 10:56:06 AM2/2/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Hey guys, so far I have installed most of the plugins I need with
trouble. Social bookmarks chokes a bit on refresh (I have a lot to
pull down) and I did get a crash when I rolled my own web search list
but all was good on relaunch.

walkerb

Feb 11, 2008, 3:48:18 PM2/11/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I just followed your method word-for-word, and I'm still getting
problems. Namely, the plugins list is short and only shows the
plugins I have installed. The first time I ran quicksilver the list
had many more, and I installed all the ones which you said were
working for you. However as soon as I attempted to try out any of the
plugins, they seem to have disappeared from my 'installed plugins'
list.

On Feb 1, 10:59 am, fogboy <fogboy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> UPDATE #2 the process described above WORKED for me perfectly.
>
> for convenience, i'm laying out the steps below, with my annotations.
>
> 1. quit quicksilver if running
>
> 2. Run appzapper on quicksilver (if you don't have it get it athttp://www.appzapper.com/-- or you can manually delete all four
> necessary items as seen here:http://elirosenblatt.org/docs/appzapper.png
>
> 3.downloadand install QS B55 (Ankur build) -- available athttp://lipidity.com/software/quicksilver/

fogboy

Feb 26, 2008, 11:58:20 PM2/26/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
try choosing "all plugins" and hitting the reload button at the
bottom, and/or choosing refresh list... from the pull-down actions
menu at the bottom.

hope that helps

On Feb 11, 12:48 pm, walkerb <walk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just followed your method word-for-word, and I'm still getting
> problems. Namely, the plugins list is short and only shows the
> plugins I have installed. The first time I ran quicksilver the list
> had many more, and I installed all the ones which you said were
> working for you. However as soon as I attempted to try out any of the
> plugins, they seem to have disappeared from my 'installed plugins'
> list.
>
> On Feb 1, 10:59 am, fogboy <fogboy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > UPDATE #2 the process described above WORKED for me perfectly.
>
> > for convenience, i'm laying out the steps below, with my annotations.
>
> > 1. quit quicksilver if running
>
> > 2. Run appzapper on quicksilver (if you don't have it get it athttp://www.appzapper.com/--or you can manually delete all four

theAnomaly

Feb 27, 2008, 3:07:26 PM2/27/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I went through the steps suggested to install a clean b55, and it
looks like things were working for awhile, but now I'm back to square
one where it crashes after less than a minute.

I'm amazed at how handicapped I feel now w/o it -- does anyone have a
decent recommendation for something that would at least emulate the
app launching capability of QS I could use until things stabilize on
10.5.2?

RJ

Feb 27, 2008, 9:25:36 PM2/27/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I upgraded to b54 and am running across some of these issues incl. the
iCal plugin issue, but also rapid slowing of program and sudden
crashing.

Can anyone advise as to whether there are any upgrade issues going
from b54 to b5X (ankur)??

I'm running 10.4.11 on an intel mbook pro, FYI.

Thanks!

Graham Ashton

Mar 16, 2008, 5:41:52 AM3/16/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
On Feb 27, 8:07 pm, theAnomaly <charlie.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm amazed at how handicapped I feel now w/o it -- does anyone have a
> decent recommendation for something that would at least emulate the
> app launching capability of QS I could use until things stabilize on
> 10.5.2?

Butler can launch apps and find files in a similar manner. It's not
extensible, but it does launch stuff fairly well. It's never crashed
on me once either, which is nice.

http://www.manytricks.com/butler/

I'm still watching this list with interest though; I want QS back...

Graham

myuserid

Apr 11, 2008, 9:03:11 AM4/11/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
after some research i found that inside ~/library/Application Support/
Quicksilver/Shelves there was a 600 mb history file for the copy/paste
utility called QSPasteboardHistory.qsshelf. after deleting that file,
quicksilver stopped crashing and started working much faster again.

i would suggest that if quicksilver starts acting up, try deleting
this file. it will start to rebuild itself next time you copy
something.

Gary King

Apr 11, 2008, 3:16:43 PM4/11/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I don't have that file. In fact, that directory is completely empty
for me.