Trigger lost problem, and I've deleted the .plist file.

LazloHollyfeld

Aug 8, 2008, 1:52:37 AM8/8/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Hi There,

I am having the same problems as others with the Triggers.plist file.
I create a trigger for an action, and then when I close and relaunch
QS, the trigger is missing. I read on this board that I should quit
QS, delete the Triggers.plist file from the Application Support
directory, and did that. Then I relaunched QS, it created a
new .plist file but QS still will not save the triggers. I use the
Command+i to get the info on the Triggers.plist file, and sure enough
at the bottom it says I can read and write to the file. I checked the
folders that contain the Triggers.plist file and those, too I have
permission to read and write from. Is there anything else I should
try so that my triggers are saved?

Also, I am basically making triggers for proxies. For example, I want
to invoke the "Group" command from Adobe Illustrator's menu. Will
that save?

Thanks,
Laz

Howard Melman

Aug 8, 2008, 8:07:04 AM8/8/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com

No it won't. Actions from application menus are known as dynamic
actions because QS doesn't know them ahead of time and has to scan the
application (Illustrator in this case) dynamically to find all the
commands to make actions from them. Unfortunately these can't be saved.

You should be able to save a trigger for Illustrator (Show Menu Items)
and after running it typing Group would bring up the command (though
I'm having problems using Show Menu Items now).

Howard

LazloHollyfeld

Aug 8, 2008, 10:25:48 AM8/8/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Hi Howard,

Thank you for the clarification. QS is such a great program and tool
for workflow, but I wish we could save triggers for menu items. I
mean, if we save a trigger and give it a scope to a particular
application, I don't see why QS wouldn't be able to save that
information.

On the PC end of things, I am using a small applications called
StrokeIt! Which allows me to use gesturing to invoke menu commands
and keyboard strokes. I tried out xGestures for OSX, but that doesn't
seem to work for the CS3 suite (except for Photoshop). QS +
Abracadabra seemed like a perfect solution becuase of proxy objects,
but now the triggers will not save.

I suppose I'll have to wait for a few development cycles for OSX to
have a robust gesturing system in place. . .

Thanks again for your time and help!

Best,
Laz

Tim

Aug 8, 2008, 5:56:33 PM8/8/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I am having a problem with triggers that is even more fundamental than
described.

When I invoke the trigger option, I am not able to enter the trigger
set up and just get a spinning wheel (not the beachball).

I also do not have a Quicksilver folder in my application support
folder and so no triggers.lst. I have tried creating this folder, but
still get the hanging issue.

I have tried uninstaling and reinstalling QS several times with no
luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

On Aug 8, 10:25 am, LazloHollyfeld <lazlohollyf...@sbcglobal.net>

St.John

Aug 9, 2008, 1:39:40 AM8/9/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I'm having the Exact same problem
although id never risk uninstalling quicksilver :P

St.John

Aug 9, 2008, 11:35:52 AM8/9/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
sorry to whoever is moderating the comments
all of a sudden when i tried to add the app support folder for
quicksilver to the catalog, i saw the reveal button, and figured id
try
and it worked
and now all my app support folders are back
i guess you can delete my last few posts

St.John

Aug 9, 2008, 11:31:35 AM8/9/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
wait, it's wierd i can find these files in quicksilver, but not in
finder????
there are a bunch of app support files missing. i know this is a
quicksilver group, and not a mac help forum, but does anyone know what
that is?

john l

Aug 30, 2008, 11:00:43 AM8/30/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
where is this "reveal" button
Now catalog isn't openning. same spinning wheel as triggers

St.John

Aug 30, 2008, 1:05:10 PM8/30/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Sorry, it's "show"
in the catalogue if you click the info panel, then theres a show
button in the top right hand corner of the panel

john l

Aug 30, 2008, 1:59:36 PM8/30/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I still can't find the show button.
Everything is there but the triggers. Wheel just keeps turning.
I uninstalled and re installed. Same problem.

john l

Aug 30, 2008, 2:18:08 PM8/30/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
New update:
A previously set up trigger for invoking Safari is still working.
Ahhhhhh!!!!!!
It isn't the lack of triggers that's bothering me. It's that I can't
create new ones.

Howard Melman

Aug 30, 2008, 2:53:48 PM8/30/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I really can't follow what you're trying. Could you please describe
what version of QS and OSX you're using, what specific triggers you're
trying to create and what happens?

Quicksilver stores all defined triggers in ~/Library/Application
Support/Quicksilver/Triggers.plist
It creates this file when first run, if it's not there it probably a
permissions problems that it can create the folder. See the FAQ under
QS won't install any plugins for details.
http://groups.google.com/group/blacktree-quicksilver/web/faq

There have been some reports of this file being corrupted on Leopard.
If this file doesn't exist or is corrupt, QS's trigger preferences
panel hangs and doesn't come up. Deleting it and restarting QS solves
that but loses any previously defined triggers.

Triggers for dynamic actions (like Get New Mail or menu items using
Show Menu Items....) can be created but will not exist when QS is
restart. It's a current limitation and there's no workaround. This is
why I ask what specific trigger you're trying to create.

Howard

John Lyons

Aug 30, 2008, 3:23:57 PM8/30/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howard,

I'm sorry I sound vague. Most of what you and the other folks are talking about sounds like a foriegn language to me. I don't know what a plist file is. I didn't think I needed to know. I loved the idea of making my mac run more intuitively. That's why I installed QS. So please have patience with me and I'll try to explain as best I can.

Here's the situation:
I'm using QS version B54, and OS 10.5.4

When I initially loaded QS it worked fine. I was able to access the trigger preference pane. There were pre-loaded triggers there and I was able to create triggers.

I asked the forum how to set up a google search trigger. While trying to do that the trigger pane stopped opening. When I tried to open it the wheel just spun and it never opened.

I uninstalled QS.
I re-installed QS.

The invoke QS still works.
The command comma still opens the preference pane.
The catalog is there.
The plug-ins are still there.
The trigger pane never opens.

I'm not the most computer illiterate person out here, but I'm no programmer.
Thanks again for your patience:)

Howard Melman

Aug 30, 2008, 3:30:26 PM8/30/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so it sounds like you've had the same corrupted Triggers.plist
file on Leopard that others have reported. Do the following:

1. Quit Quicksilver
2. In the Finder goto the folder ~/Library/Application Support/
Quicksilver/
(~ stands for your home folder)
3. Delete the file Triggers.plist you'll find there.
4. Restart Quicksilver (it will recreate a pristine version of
Triggers.plist)

You should now be able to get to the triggers preference panel.

For help with defining a google trigger and lots of other things, see
the manual:
http://mysite.verizon.net/hmelman/Quicksilver.pdf

Howard

john l

Aug 30, 2008, 3:44:44 PM8/30/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Howard you are absolutely THE MAN!!!!!!
That worked perfectly.
Now I'll go back to setting up a google search trigger.

Thank you:-)