exclude folders and subfolders/items

nassoit

Oct 9, 2008, 12:41:24 PM10/9/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Is there a way to exclude a specific folder and it's contents
(including subfolders and their contents) from the Quicksilver
catalog? I have several folders loaded with icons and those icons keep
popping up in search results. The main problem is that many of the
icons are titled the same as applications that I want to launch with
Quicksilver

- peter

Chris Cairns

Oct 9, 2008, 2:07:55 PM10/9/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
i would love it too....but i think you have to go reverse and add
folders that you want rather than exclude some.

Chris Cairns

Oct 9, 2008, 2:10:10 PM10/9/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
and i hope you know about the depth settings after clicking "i" on the
catalog item .. you can exclude icons that way by adding depth to that
specific folder

eagleapex

Nov 20, 2008, 3:16:43 PM11/20/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
This is possible.
Got to the catalog, select an item. Hit the "i" information button and
then Contents.
Now you can deselect directories you want to exclude.
Screenshot here:
http://twitpic.com/mwyd
Just found this out myself
-eagleapex

Veit Winkler

Nov 22, 2008, 9:42:10 AM11/22/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> This is possible.
> Got to the catalog, select an item. Hit the "i" information button and
> then Contents.
>
> Now you can deselect directories you want to exclude.
> Screenshot here:
> http://twitpic.com/mwyd
> Just found this out myself

That's a nice thing, never checked it out, thanks.

It still only offers to deselect items on the first level of the file
system and it doesn't work on external volumes. Only shows the whole
volume if I click on "disks". Is there any way to exclude certain
subfolders on my external disks?

Thanks,

Veit

Rob McBroom

Jun 30, 2012, 9:26:24 AM6/30/12
On Jun 29, 2012, at 2:28 PM, bfu.me wrote:

> I concur - even on the current version, ß68 (3926), I find that deselecting the parent folder only excludes the folder itself from the catalog - it doesn't exclude the folder's contents.

To answer the original question, no, you can’t exclude folder contents once they’re included.

Regarding the specific example in the screenshot, the Dock entry literally only includes the Downloads folder. If the contents are appearing, they’re being added by one of the other entries.

As for things having names similar to what you were after, that should be a temporary problem. Once you’ve used something a couple of times, it should become the first result for that search (and I think it gets a higher rank for similar searches as well).

The best solution is to not put unwanted stuff in the catalog in the first place. You can access contents of folders using / or →. There’s no need to add all of a folder’s contents directly to the catalog unless you truly access them frequently.

Another possible alternative is to use the a Spotlight entry instead of the standard File & Folder Scanner. You can do pretty complicated, specific things that way, but you’ll have to figure out the query for what you want.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

David Rees

Jul 6, 2012, 8:56:09 AM7/6/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
The Spotlight search is a good tip, I hadn't realized it also added the ability to have a "Spotlight scanner".

Still, I must admit its still surprising to me that File and Folder Scanner doesn't support regular expression filtering. Its such a common pattern (e.g. .gitignore).

glyde

Sep 17, 2012, 6:04:42 PM9/17/12
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Second/third the need for this. SIn my case it would very useful to scan a folder, but exclude specific subdirectories.