Important: You MUST upgrade your BitCoinJ based software before February 20th

Mike Hearn

Jan 22, 2012, 6:35:48 PM1/22/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
When originally implementing the connection setup code, I overlooked the fact that the Bitcoin protocol bizarrely changes itself on February 20th 2012 in a backwards incompatible manner. This means you need to apply the following commit to your copy of BitCoinJ:

Otherwise you will lose the ability to connect to the network after that date.

I'm really sorry about this. The change is straightforward and should apply without merge conflicts. To use it on quite old copies of the library you'll need to apply it to NetworkConnection.java instead of TCPNetworkConnection.java

--
Google Switzerland GmbH

Jim

Jan 23, 2012, 6:03:08 AM1/23/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,
Just putting that new TCPNetworkConnection into MultiBit.

I believe I am right in saying that it has gone into the bitcoinj Maven
artifact with version:
0.4-SNAPSHOT

and not the 0.3 version

(That is fine by me - I just did not want anyone else to miss the
update)

--
http://multibit.org Money, reinvented

Mike Hearn

Jan 23, 2012, 6:06:02 AM1/23/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
That's right. Anyone not using HEAD will need to backport the patch.

We could re-spin 0.3 with the change. I'm just not sure it's worth it. As far as I know, most users of BitCoinJ track HEAD pretty closely.
--
Google Switzerland GmbH

Gary Rowe

Jan 23, 2012, 6:11:00 AM1/23/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
I would strongly counsel against re-jigging an earlier release. There is no guarantee that people will pull down the updated version and it would cause confusion ("So which version of version 0.3 is the version with the right version protocol?").

The best way to be sure is to release the changes under 0.4 and issue a general update on the forums and mailing list.

Mike Hearn

Jan 23, 2012, 6:18:09 AM1/23/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
It's not clear 0.4 will be out before Feb 20th. A 0.3.1 release wouldn't be that confusing, but as I said, probably not that helpful either.
--
Google Switzerland GmbH

Gary Rowe

Jan 23, 2012, 6:23:21 AM1/23/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Version 0.3.1 would be fine, and is the better way to go if 0.4 won't be released.

I'm just against reworking 0.3.

Andreas Schildbach

Jan 23, 2012, 6:34:13 AM1/23/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I just released Bitcoin Wallet 1.48.1 to the Android Market.

Instead of going forward and update to BitCoinJ head, I decided to
branch and do a maintenance release with some cherry-picked fixes. This
was mainly because I wanted to prove to myself that I actually can do
urgent maintenance releases.

Mike Hearn

Jan 23, 2012, 6:35:29 AM1/23/12
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, thanks for being so fast. Hopefully after a month everyone who cares has updated.
--
Google Switzerland GmbH