Gleanings (27) 4) "I had Bigfoot's Baby" (MacPhil)

ktw%HLWP...@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu

Jan 20, 1992, 8:11:00 AM1/20/92
This sounds like a front page story in one of those supermarket
checkout counter newspapers. A bitta tittilation as you watch your
ice cream melt while you stand on line...

9) Billie Carter (John Wm.)

Billy Carter was President Jimmy Carter's dumber younger brother.
Like Sam Houston Johnson, Lyndon's brother, he was very likely a
spectacular drunkard; unlike Lyndon, however, Jimmy couldn't keep his
Family Embarrassment under wraps. Billy had a brand of beer
(perfectly awful) named after him and is believed to have gone into
business deals fronting for some OPEC countries. This made him an
instant authority on Arab-Jewish relations.

11) Church Lady (Karen)

A character on Saturday Night Live, played by a man, Dana Carvey.
After about 8 seasons of this bit, it's a bit thin but still has its
moments. The Church Lady is a very prim middle-aged lady who
periodically reveals a rather prurient imagination and vocabulary.
The interview "she" did with Sean Penn while he was married to Madonna
was really funny ("Hmmmm. The same name as the Mother of Our Lord.
Hmmmm. Interesting how she bares her chestal area to excite the lust
of schoolboys!" after which Penn, forever in character, punches "her"
in the mouth....)

17) Grateful Dead (Anne D.)

A rock band of some note (:-).

23) Up Nawt' (Ken W.)

My poor attempt at imitating a Southern inflection. I would never
have survived behind Confederate lines as a spy....

24) Jersey Joke (Ken W.)

These are predicated on Jersey as the Worst Place on Earth. It really
isn't, despite my indulging in this kind of cheap humor for which I
nevertheless refuse to apologize so long as Jim Florio is Governor.
Besides, everyone knows Wyoming is the worst place on earth (:-).

32) A. B. Dick (Natalie)

Company that manufactures high-priced duplicating machines. They were
big before photocopying came in. The name tends to get laughs if
you're under 14 or on WORDS-L.

37) "Biscuits in the oven and her buns in bed" (Dan)

A variation on "barefoot and pregnant," i.e., how some men are
supposed to have viewed women's role in the world. Reminds me of a
comment Eldridge Cleaver is supposed to have made on how he saw
women's position in The Revolution: "On their backs with their legs in
the air."

38) "Thpppt" (Rita)

An allusion to Bill the Cat, cocaine-snorting dissipated feline of
"Bloom County" and "Outland" fame. "Aaack! Thpppt!" is his favorite
expletive. He's probably trying to clear his burnt-out sinuses....

Ken

Graham Toal

Jan 20, 1992, 4:42:07 PM1/20/92
In article <WORDS-L%9201200...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU> ktw%HLWPK....@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU writes:
: 32) A. B. Dick (Natalie)

:
:Company that manufactures high-priced duplicating machines. They were
:big before photocopying came in. The name tends to get laughs if
:you're under 14 or on WORDS-L.

Watch it buddy, I used to work for those guys! Actually they were the
biggest bunch of <deleted to avoid a lawsuit>s I ever met. Took GEC for
a ride over the R machine (series 6000 I think it ended up as). heap
of junk.

: 37) "Biscuits in the oven and her buns in bed" (Dan)

:
:A variation on "barefoot and pregnant," i.e., how some men are
:supposed to have viewed women's role in the world. Reminds me of a
:comment Eldridge Cleaver is supposed to have made on how he saw
:women's position in The Revolution: "On their backs with their legs in
:the air."

isn't the expression "a bun in the oven"? Or is that just the British
variation? Is "Biscuits in the oven" an American euphemism for pregnant?

Personally I prefer my biscuits in bed...

Dan Lester

Jan 20, 1992, 11:26:38 PM1/20/92
On Mon, 20 Jan 1992 21:42:07 GMT Graham Toal said:
>: 37) "Biscuits in the oven and her buns in bed" (Dan)
>:
>:A variation on "barefoot and pregnant," i.e., how some men are
>:supposed to have viewed women's role in the world. Reminds me of a

>isn't the expression "a bun in the oven"? Or is that just the British
Yes, but in this context it means BISCUITS in the oven....the kind
you would have with your roast beef and mashed potatoes, or with your
fried chicken and cream gravy...or with your sausage gravy...

>variation? Is "Biscuits in the oven" an American euphemism for pregnant?

No...it isn't as far as I know. As far as I am concerned in this context
it means that if she ain't in bed, she betterbe out there cooking some more
real food for her man...and fresh baked at that, no store boughten shit.

dan

Natalie Maynor

Jan 21, 1992, 7:47:40 AM1/21/92
Re "biscuits in the oven and buns in the bed," somebody sent me direct
mail last night correcting my reference to Jerry Jeff Walker. He said
it was Kinky Friedman, not JJW. I often get the two mixed up because
I have a home-made tape that's about half JJW and half KF. And I associate
both of them with mid '70s in Knoxville, TN. (I don't mean they were in
Knoxville -- I mean I was. I always associate popular music with times/
places/people in my life/etc.
--Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)