Thanksgiving in Ct.

Lisa Alfieri

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Hi All!

Well, it's close to midnight here so, I thougth I'd give a little update
on my holiday.

It started yesterday with me doing laundry and running across the city
to get 4 dozen Italian pastries which would need to be dropped off at 4
different houses once I made my way to Ct.

Of course getting here was the tricky part. The Mass. Pike tests my
patients on non-holiday weekends but, for some reason I'm able to handle
the slow traffic and annoying habits of my fellow travellers (one 'l' or
two?). I think it's because I'm excited to go home. So, the commute
wasn't so bad, especially now that my parents live on the shore and I
can avoid most of the heavy traffic but cutting across parts of Ma. and
Ct. on 395.

Two hours in the car, an alumni vs. the current varsity volleyball team
game and four pastry deliveries later, I arrived at my parent's in time
to fall asleep before my head hit the pillow.

Today was spent checking out the new house my parents bought, slipping
into my favorite courderoys and one of the most comfortable flannel
shirts known to mankind, to consume a meal that I didn't cook.

We spent our holiday with my mom's bestfriend, they've known each other
for over 45 years, something to be thankful for. We went there because
our house is too small to have more than 3 people for dinner and going
out to eat just isn't "right".

As generous as it was for my mom's friend to have us over, it just
wasn't the same as having it on our own. The menu was totally different
and seriously lacked due to there being no mashed potatos. This isn't
to say that I didn't eat enough to make my stomach hurt.

Reflecting on the past year, I have a lot to be thankful for. First,
and probably most important, I have the love and support of my mother.
This was hard won and impossible to describe in mere words. It took
a lot of heartache and tears for us to get to this point.

Not only do I have my blood relatives to be thankful for, I have a group
of friends who I will never be able to repay for their love and
loyalty. Among these friends are two people who were not able to spend
the holiday with their families. It breaks my heart to know they are
alone in Boston.

As much as I miss my family, I wish I were in Boston now, spending time
with these friends.

There are many other things I'm thankful for but, it's getting late
and I'm sure you all get the point. I hope you've all had a wonderful
holiday.

love and luck,

lisa

Myles Callum

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

>You'll like the roads out here, Myles. Many lanes. Do you have
>any left overs from your feast yesterday?

I did like the roads out there. There was always quite a bit of
traffic on 101, though, rush hours or not. By the time I move out
there I figure the SF metro area will stretch to Eureka. Plenty
of hawks, though. Did you know that hawks outnumber vultures out
there by more than four to one?

Leftovers: All of the turkey (it was from a turkey roll, which I
disapprove of in theory but have often eaten) and most of an apple
pie. I had the stuffing (added raisins and celery), the cranberry
sauce, a piece of pie and the zinfandel. But that cranberry chutney
sounds good and I mean to try it one of these days.

My feast also included parts of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
(I missed Bob Dorian but am sure Kenny Rogers winked at me), the
two football games, and a nice phone call from a couple of alleged
curmudgeons in Texas.

When I move to California we can have turkey vulture for
Thanksgiving, Betty. I know you'll be looking forward to that.
Well, actually we can't; they're protected by law. But carrion
eaters should be interesting to science because they can eat even
diseased carrion without getting the disease themselves or passing
it along. Even their waste seems to be disease-free. They seem
to do some kind of purifying thing. Another of nature's little
mysteries.

Myles

Betty Clark

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Myles Callum wrote:
> The thing I hate most about Massachusetts is the roads. All the
> interstates are too narrow and the drivers are hellions no matter
> what road you're on. Give me Connecticut any day.
>
> Myles

You'll like the roads out here, Myles. Many lanes. Do you have any left
overs from your feast yesterday?

Betty

roy_jaques_-_ens_benelux_-_desktop_support_engineer

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

> The thing I hate most about Massachusetts is the roads. All the
> interstates are too narrow and the drivers are hellions no matter
> what road you're on. Give me Connecticut any day.

Just take it.

> Myles

Roy

Ann Borkin

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Myles Callum wrote:

> When I move to California we can have turkey vulture for
> Thanksgiving, Betty. I know you'll be looking forward to that.
> Well, actually we can't; they're protected by law.

You could have a Tofurkey Vulture. Then you could have the cranberry
chutney dribbling out of its carefully molded raptor's beak, like bloody
flesh.

> eaters should be interesting to science because they can eat even
> diseased carrion without getting the disease themselves or passing
> it along. Even their waste seems to be disease-free. They seem
> to do some kind of purifying thing. Another of nature's little
> mysteries.

I am glad to know this. Is it true for other carrion-eating animals,
say, lobsters and crabs?

Bon appetit and happy holidays to the carrion-eating community, which I
guess includes most of us, come to think of it.

Ann

Myles Callum

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Lisa writes:
>So, the commute wasn't so bad, especially now that my parents live
>on the shore and I can avoid most of the heavy traffic but cutting
>across parts of Ma. and Ct. on 395.

The thing I hate most about Massachusetts is the roads. All the
interstates are too narrow and the drivers are hellions no matter
what road you're on. Give me Connecticut any day.

Myles

Lisa Alfieri

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Myles,

Are you sure you don't have Ct and Ma. confused? the roads are much better in
Ma. I'll give you the drivers being hellions in Ma, there are many times I've
sat in traffic and wondered how I've lived and commuted in Ma. for 3 years and
lived to tell about it!

lisa
done driving for the next 2 days

Betty Clark

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Myles Callum wrote:

> I did like the roads out there. There was always quite a bit of
> traffic on 101, though, rush hours or not. By the time I move out
> there I figure the SF metro area will stretch to Eureka. Plenty

Probably. Pretty drive though.

> of hawks, though. Did you know that hawks outnumber vultures out
> there by more than four to one?

Actually, I did not know this but it sounds like a <good> thing. :-)

> When I move to California we can have turkey vulture for
> Thanksgiving, Betty. I know you'll be looking forward to that.

> Well, actually we can't; they're protected by law. But carrion

> eaters should be interesting to science because they can eat even
> diseased carrion without getting the disease themselves or passing
> it along. Even their waste seems to be disease-free. They seem
> to do some kind of purifying thing. Another of nature's little
> mysteries.

Maybe we can get Ann's Allan to prepare it for us.

Betty

bonniev

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

>Myles,
>
>Are you sure you don't have Ct and Ma. confused?
>
>lisa

Of course he does. Even the casual traveler knows that the entire
Connecticut road system sucks big time.

bon...@acadia.net

Rashmi

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Myles Callum wrote:

> The thing I hate most about Massachusetts is the roads. All the
> interstates are too narrow and the drivers are hellions no matter
> what road you're on. Give me Connecticut any day.

You can take it, Myles. I used to drive to Amherst
quite often and couldn't wait to get the hell out
of CT.

-rashmi

Myles Callum

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Lisa says:
>I'll give you the drivers being hellions in Ma, there are many
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>times I've sat in traffic and wondered how I've lived and commuted
>in Ma. for 3 years and lived to tell about it!

Thanks, Lisa, but now I'm confused. That's exactly what Adam said
about Connecticut drivers.

Rashmi:

>You can take it, Myles. I used to drive to Amherst
>quite often and couldn't wait to get the hell out
>of CT.

Et tu, Mr. Murphy?! Well, if you say so. I grew up about equally
in Massachusetts and Connecticut and like them both, along with the
rest of New England. There are many beautiful drives in Connecticut--
the Merritt Parkway, long sections of Route 6 and much of Western
Connecticut among them--but I suppose you transients wouldn't use
those much.

Myles

Myles Callum

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Karen writes:
>Myles Callum said:
>> Et tu, Mr. Murphy?!
>
>This is delightful validation. For the first six months Rashmi was
>on the list, I assumed she was was an Irish lass w/ a funny first
>name.

Do you remember how "Mr. Murphy" came up? About two years ago
we were talking about how to pronounce names, yours among them, and
you said it was "Kerrin." Not only that, but you said you wouldn't
answer to "Karen" the way most people (that I know) pronounce it, to
rhyme with Darren. When I heard your voicemail message early this
month, sure enough, there was that "Kerrin." Never heard that
before. Anyway, that old thread was when Rashmi said she'd answer
to about anything, including Mr. Murphy.

Myles

Lisa Alfieri

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

>You can take it, Myles. I used to drive to Amherst
>quite often and couldn't wait to get the hell out
>of CT.
>-rashmi

That's how I'm feeling right now, I can't wait to get the hell outta
here.

lisa

Myles Callum

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

>>you said it was "Kerrin." Not only that, but you said you wouldn't
>>answer to "Karen" the way most people (that I know) pronounce it, to
>>rhyme with Darren. When I heard your voicemail message early this
>>month, sure enough, there was that "Kerrin." Never heard that
>
>>Myles
>
>Hmm. I though it was the aesc-pronunciation Karen objected to.
>Surely you don't pronounce "Darren" with an aesc?

Yes. I realize there are nuances, but if aesc means about the
sound of the a in glad, ask and ham, as my dictionary says,
that's how I'd pronounce the a in Karen. To me the e in Kerrin
is like the e in pet.

I probably confused the issue with Darren, since the arren sound
could be as in Warren. But Darren and Karen pretty much rhyme
for me, and sound nothing like Kerrin to my ear.

Myles

Jinny Jones

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

> >you said it was "Kerrin." Not only that, but you said you wouldn't
> >answer to "Karen" the way most people (that I know) pronounce it, to
> >rhyme with Darren. When I heard your voicemail message early this
> >month, sure enough, there was that "Kerrin." Never heard that
>
> >Myles
>
> Hmm. I though it was the aesc-pronunciation Karen objected to. Surely you
> don't pronounce "Darren" with an aesc?

I do. But not "Warren"--that's "War 'n Peace." :-)

jinny

Marie

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Ann Borkin wrote:
> You could have a Tofurkey Vulture.

Have y'all heard about the Turducken? An invention of Prudhomme (I
think), which layers deboned turkey, duck and chicken adnd various
stuffings. I couldn't help but think about the agritourism thread when
viewing the first syllable -- "turd." Might have thought "Chuckey"
the better option.

Marie

clyde w. voigtlander

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

As in "upchuckey"?

cwv

Phyllis C. Petree

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, clyde w. voigtlander wrote:

> >Have y'all heard about the Turducken? An invention of Prudhomme (I
> >think), which layers deboned turkey, duck and chicken adnd various
> >stuffings. I couldn't help but think about the agritourism thread when
> >viewing the first syllable -- "turd." [[[[Might have thought "Chuckey"
> >the better option.]]]]
> >
> >Marie
>
> As in "upchuckey"?
>
> cwv

The recipe sounds good but not the names.

- phyllis...@unc.edu

Natalie Maynor

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

> But Darren and Karen rhyme for mostly everyone; it's the value of that
> 'a' that differs.

Not for me. I'd pronounce the a in Darren as an aesc -- like the a in
"cat." I'd pronounce the a in Karen these days probably as an [E] --
the e in "pet." In my childhood, back when I still had a three-way
Mary/marry/merry split, I pronounced the a in Karen as [e] -- the a
in "gate" or "bait" or "way."
--Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

heather

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

>Not for me. I'd pronounce the a in Darren as an aesc -- like the a in
>"cat." I'd pronounce the a in Karen these days probably as an [E] --
>the e in "pet." In my childhood, back when I still had a three-way
>Mary/marry/merry split, I pronounced the a in Karen as [e] -- the a
>in "gate" or "bait" or "way."
> --Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

Whereas I've always pronounced "Karen" with the aesc, as far
as I know. For awhile I thought I might have said it as
I would "care-in" (IOW, with a more nasalized aesc...I think
that's how I'd describe it), but no. "I haven't a care in the
world" is not the same as, "I haven't a Karen..."

heather