Wooden Fleets and Star Fleet

MICHAEL STRANGELOVE

Oct 20, 1992, 8:15:03 AM10/20/92
Thank you for the thoughtful comments, Stevan. I was quite certain that
I was oversimplifying a complex situation.

It will be interesting to see the role played by electronic serials
as the proportion of under or unemployed phd's shoots through the
roof over the next few decades.

I was thinking in particular about those serials that commercial publishers
intentionally pad and overprice. No, I don't see the end to print or call
for an end, I also do not think that the Net represents a potential
"utopian-technology".

One of the things we will soon see is the rise of "peripheral networked
scholarship" where every so often a displaced scholar will effect entire
disciplines while operating almost entirely from within the networked
environment. The phenomenon will be similar to the occasional occurance
of rogue scholars of the last century, people publishing in fields not
formally their own, or self-publishing, and creating entire "schools of
thought" as amateurs (in the best sense of the word). The issue may not
be which medium ensures "legitimate" knowledge but which medium allows
creative expression and a high level of interactive exchange.

By the way, the "Dr." is rather gratuitous until I finish a mindless
rite of passage, also known as buying a union card, and finish a dissertation.
(An oft made assumption due to the last name, I suppose.) Of course, there
may not be much of a union left...

Best wishes,

Michael Strangelove
Department of Religious Studies
University of Ottawa

BITNET: 441495@Uottawa
Internet: 441...@Acadvm1.Uottawa.CA
S-Mail: 177 Waller, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5 CANADA
Voice: (613) 747-0642
FAX: (613) 564-6641