Setting Defaults in MS Word 2000

Eisb...@aol.com

Jan 28, 2003, 2:34:59 PM1/28/03
to TECHWR-L

Hi,

Is there's a way to
set defaults
for various drawing and formatting
options in MS Word 2000. For example, when
I draw a text box, I'd like the line
to be red by default. Or in
tables, I'd like the default to be
"don't allow rows to break across pages."

I seem to remember in a much earlier version
of MS Word there was a file called normal.dot that
I could adjust to specify the defaults I wanted.
But I can't find any info on this right now.
In MS Word 2000, does such a file still exist, or is there
some other mechanism I should know about?

Thanks,
Emily from Ann Arbor

---
tech...@GTS.ORG
Send administrative questions to ej...@raycomm.com. Visit

Jean Hollis Weber

Jan 28, 2003, 11:58:20 PM1/28/03
to TECHWR-L

Emily wrote,

|Is there's a way to set defaults for various drawing and formatting
|options in MS Word 2000. For example, when I draw a text box, I'd like the
|line to be red by default. Or in tables, I'd like the default to be "don't
|allow rows to break across pages."
|
|I seem to remember in a much earlier version of MS Word there was a file
|called normal.dot that I could adjust to specify the defaults I wanted.
|But I can't find any info on this right now.
|In MS Word 2000, does such a file still exist, or is there some other
|mechanism I should know about?

Yes, normal.dot is still there, but some defaults don't seem to get stored
there the way I would expect or prefer. For example, I can set defaults for
text boxes and other AutoShapes that apply to the current document, but
don't apply to any other document. To set a textbox default for the current
document:
1) Create and format a textbox the way you want.
2) Select the textbox, right-click on it, then select Set AutoShape Defaults.

Other defaults are scattered around the program. For table properties, I
think the best you can do is create a basic table and save it as AutoText,
then insert the table when needed. This can be useful as you could define 2
or 3 "default" tables for different purposes and store them as AutoText,
instead of having only the one default. For example, I often use a
borderless table for page layout and a table with borders for data
presentation.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
je...@jeanweber.com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Taming Microsoft Word 2000, 110 pages of tips and tricks for business and
technical documents. http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tamewd2k.htm