Writing Costs Worldwide

1 view

Jean Hollis Weber

Jan 15, 2004, 3:48:16 AM1/15/04
to TECHWR-L

Australian 2003 techwriters' salary survey is here:
http://www.stc-aus.org.au/Survey/surveyresults03.htm

Because the original question was about the _cost_ of techwriting services
(not just the writers' salaries) around the world, you have to consider the
overheads (such as contributions to health insurance or retirement
benefits, amongst a lot of other costs), which can vary considerably from
one country to another. I don't recall what the rule of thumb is for
calculating this for Australia.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
je...@jeanweber.com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

---
tech...@gts.org
Send administrative questions to ej...@raycomm.com. Visit

Jon Leer

Jan 14, 2004, 11:48:07 AM1/14/04
to TECHWR-L

"Goober Writer" <goober...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| You can get good data to begin your research with by
| looking into the average cost of living by country,
| then break it down by state/province, and then find
| socially-equal cities in each country and comparing those.

So are you saying that if the standard of living is at 25% of the US, that
the technical writing contractor rate will be around 25% of the US rate?

Jon

Jon Leer

Jan 14, 2004, 11:46:17 AM1/14/04

| There are plenty of salary survey results on the web.

Where are they showing other country pay rates for technical writers beside
the STC US/Canada surveys?

| Not to be picky, but your question is too broad...

Let me narrow it:
* Senior technical writer contractor writing user documentation
* Senior technical writer contractor writing administrator documentation

| like asking what the price of a cup of coffee is in
| various countries.
|
| I know senior technical writers in my home state (more
| granular than country) that make <$35k and others who
| make >$60k. Also, in my hometown (more granular than
| state), I can get a cup of coffee for $0.50 as well as
| the same size cup for >$5.00.

Sure, that's what market research is all about. No-name coffee $.50/cup at
corner diner with 60% of market, and $5/cup at StarBucks with 30% of market,
(10% other).

Any independent technical writer must be aware of the competition - now not
only in the US but elsewhere.

Jon

| --- Jon Leer <jl...@comcast.net> wrote:
| > How much does a senior technical writer cost
| > throughout the world in US
| > dollars?
| > * India
| > * China
| > * Canada
| > * Europe
| >
| > Any idea? I want to know what US writers are
| > competing against.
|
| =====
| Goober Writer
| (because life is too short to be inept)
|
| "As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
| immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
| -- Geoff Hart
|
| We can't all be as creative with sigs as krautgrrl. ;-)

| Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes
| http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus

Bonnie Granat

Jan 15, 2004, 7:21:52 AM1/15/04
to TECHWR-L

Jon wrote:
Any independent technical writer must be aware of the competition -
now not
only in the US but elsewhere.

-----
If you are in a developed country, you cannot compete with offshoring.
It just cannot be done. Technical writers in developing countries are
paid peanuts. That's why the phenomenon exists.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

Goober Writer

Jan 15, 2004, 12:05:07 PM1/15/04
to TECHWR-L

| > You can get good data to begin your research with
| by
| > looking into the average cost of living by
| country,
| > then break it down by state/province, and then
| find
| > socially-equal cities in each country and
| comparing those.
| >
| So are you saying that if the standard of living is
| at 25% of the US, that
| the technical writing contractor rate will be around
| 25% of the US rate?

No. Re-read my post. ;)

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

We can't all be as creative with sigs as krautgrrl. ;-)

Jon Leer

Jan 15, 2004, 8:48:56 AM1/15/04
to TECHWR-L

"Bonnie Granat" <bgr...@granatedit.com> wrote in message

| Jon wrote:
| Any independent technical writer must be aware of the competition -
| now not
| only in the US but elsewhere.
|

| -----
| If you are in a developed country, you cannot compete with offshoring.
| It just cannot be done. Technical writers in developing countries are
| paid peanuts. That's why the phenomenon exists.

OK. What is "peanuts"? Let's get some real numbers here.

If we know that equivalent writers would bill out in US at $40/hr. and India
at $10/hr., then we have something to work with.

As far as competing with outsourced writing, there is always a way. As an
independent contractor, you need to know what you're up against and be
creative to add value or other sources for the disparate income rate.
Otherwise, you might as move on to some other career. How about pumping gas?

Jon