Gimpy shooter

Steven Frischling

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

>Have anyone had experience doing their *normal* PJ duties using a cane
or
>crutches? Have you seen a fellow PJ cope with such a problem?
>
>If you have, are there any tips/coping skills you can share?

Donna,

I have unfortunately had the lovely displeasure of crutches a few times
( broken arms, broken feet, popped knees, busted thumb with a broken
tib-fib). I started to use a waist pack, I started with the Lowe Pro
Orion AW and now use the Domke OutPack waist pack. When shooting I
place the crutch out in front of me and use it as a sort of mono-pod.
I hung a single camera a short zoom off my right shoulder, even when I
cracked my right leg (or left leg as well) because it was easier to grab
since cameras are made for righties (I use my left hand more often) .
Use the crutches as your balance. Cruthces ALWAYS SUCK, but they can be
used to your advantage.
A good chunk of what I do is breaking news, and crutches slow me down
alot , but i made do, I went to the 180f2.8 rather than the 28f1.4, and
300f2.8 rather than my 80-200f2.8. I found standing on my roof with a
long lens worked OK for me.

Rule of thumb, I have cut my last few casts off after 2-3 weeks, not a
good idea. I cut 'em off so I could go chase
news/snowboarding/surf/skateboard/climb , not something I suggest. I
am regretting it just a lil' bit now that I need to have a few joints
worked on.

Hope all works out for you.

Steven E. Frischling
News Photographer/News Photo Editor
In Search Of A Good Stress Managment Program
1(516)791-6114
1(800)662-5306
ste...@frischling.com
http://www.frischling.com/steven
-
-What he loves might kill him, but he's got no choice, he's a different
breed, with a voice down deep inside, that's screamin' he was born to
ride

Donna Riley-Lein

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

Question for y'all:

Have anyone had experience doing their *normal* PJ duties using a cane or
crutches? Have you seen a fellow PJ cope with such a problem?

If you have, are there any tips/coping skills you can share?

Many thanks in advance.

Donna Riley-Lein
Do...@valley-views.com
http://www.valley-views.com

Mark Lent

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

Hi all,

I'd got caught in a tornado several years back and had torn the muscle in the
arch of my right foot. I ended up on crutches for several weeks.

The thing that you need to remember is that you're not as mobile as you
normally are. I also had to go around with no shoe on that foot, which made
things even more uncomfortable. To top it off, I was working for a
thoughtless-pig-of-a-boss who (really, this is no lie) sent me out to a
construction site with broken glass and loose dirt. Try walking on crutches
through loose dirt or sand- no fun. He also sent me onto a school trip to a
nature trail on a mountain here in Alabama.

The things that I learned are that you need to have a fanny pack- almost
mandatory. Try to carry a camera bag with crutches...Another thing that I
learned is that you need to find a position. I found that if I kept my right
foot elevated, that I could lean on the crutches with my armpits and steady
it all with my left leg, that I could stay pretty still. I've always bee a
really steady shooter and it's something that I take a lot of pride in (my
record is 1/2 a second with a 300 2.8, hand held- but I really don't expect
any of you to believe that... ;-) ) so, shooting steady is something that I
have come to consider good technique.

The one thing that I really had a hard time with was shooting in a kneeling
position, which I finally concluded that it was almost impossible to do
without sitting. So, I got myself a little fold out cloth chair (fishing
chair from Wal Mart) and used it. It was low enough and I could get up with
little discomfort from it.

Hope this helps you. You didn't say in your note if you were on crutches or
not, but if you are, I hope that it will be for as short a time as possible.
It's no fun trying to shoot like that.

Cordially,

Mark Lent
former gimped-up photojournalist...

Miles B. Norman

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

To: Donna Riley-Lein

Having dealt with occasional gimpness at awkward times, my secret has
always been a good sturdy monopod, affectionately known as my cripstick.
Have Bogen will travel.

Miles B. Norman
Staff Photographer
Argus-Press

Billy Suratt

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

At 09:05 PM 5/26/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all,
....snip....

>really steady shooter and it's something that I take a lot of pride in (my
>record is 1/2 a second with a 300 2.8, hand held- but I really don't expect
>any of you to believe that... ;-) ) so, shooting steady is something that I
>have come to consider good technique.
....snip....

I haven't been that lucky, but check out
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/6991/flute1.jpg. I shot exposed it at 1/15
@ f/2.8 with the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L at 200 mm.

Billy

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Billy Suratt <apex....@reporters.net> ICQ #2810131
Freelance news photographer based in the Southcentral Kentucky area
Pager: 800-999-2220, PIN 2644 + your phone number
Cellular: 502-576-2599 Member: NAFP, NPPA, SPJ
Website (in progress) -- http://www.blue.net/~surattb/
Represented by 911 Pictures -- http://www.911pictures.com

Stephen Delear

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

At 09:47 PM 98-05-26 -0400, Donna Riley-Lein wrote:
>Question for y'all:
>
>Have anyone had experience doing their *normal* PJ duties using a cane or
>crutches? Have you seen a fellow PJ cope with such a problem?
>
>If you have, are there any tips/coping skills you can share?
>
>Many thanks in advance.

A couple years ago I saw and advertisement for a "cam-cane" made by
cambrige I think. Basically it was a monopod that could be turned into a
cane when not in use. I'm not to sure how well it worked either as a
monopod or a cane though.

SteveD

Stephen Delear
Freelance Photographer
Austin TX
Phone 512-388-0166

Carl & Linda of Carl Clark PHotography

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

As someone who has been restrained by my body's refusal to stay healthy I
have some suggestions.
1. You must become more methodical. Instead of moving about struggling with
your cane/cruches and camera etc., you plant your self were the action will
be. As my mentor says find the stage were the scene will be played out and
wait for that action that best depicts the story.

Carl Clark
Baltimore, MD 21217
ccp...@concentric.net
Featured on: http://www.members.xoom/urbanoline/