Big guy, little guy stuff--are we havng fun yet?

Ed Reading

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

If this thread is not dead yet (I hope to God it is) let me spike it now:
Susan Meiselas PAID HER OWN WAY to Nicaragua. She sent film back to an
editor in New York, who was *only looking*: it was all on speculation; no
commitment. When he saw the take, he got into the elevator and went down to
a big camera store and bought her a 300mm. "Get back, you're too close," he
wrote to her. If you have the book, check out page 63: it's a firefight,
shot from behind the barricade, probably with a 50mm. There's little depth
of field, and it shows movement. She was terrified.
---
Ed Reading
erea...@oz.net
425-774-4977

Steven Frischling

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

"Get back, you're too close," he
>wrote to her. If you have the book, check out page 63: it's a
firefight,
>shot from behind the barricade, probably with a 50mm. There's little
depth
>of field, and it shows movement. She was terrified.
>---
>Ed Reading
>erea...@oz.net
>425-774-4977

Ed,

Not to sound like an ass (which I am sure a number of you think I sound
like often), sometimes close & scared is the only way to get the photo.
I admit, as I have before, most of my firefight/gun fight photos were
taken in NYC, Boston, D.C., Redwood City/East Palo Alto (CA) and other
places in the U.S., but gun fight is a gun fight. Most of my gun drawn
and aimed photos are on rooftops, in project stairways and backyards,
most of the time 18mm-85mm because it is the only way ( I really suggest
owning threat level 3 bullet-vest for this). I know it is very
different from Nicaragua, but not far off. I know that I have been shot
at to many times, and have bee thankul for wearing the Kevlar because I
prefer a broken rib to a hole in me, I also have met guys who shoot TV
footage for COPS and they, more than many , end up in some sick
situations and the only way is to get in close and "hug up to" the
person you are following.

I do not suggest being stupid, know your surrounding and be familiar
with 1 side or all sides of the "war" , urban, jungle, political or
whatever, know how to survive and try and judge the situation before
you put your ass on the line, but sometimes, being scared $#!+less gets
you the photo ifit can be done with your intelligence as well as skill.

If anyone would like to see what I talking about e-mail me at
Fish...@AOL.com, and I'll e-mail you a photo (.jpg) or two.

Happy Hunting Y'all (just DON'T be the hunted)

Steven E. Frischling
Freelance Photojournalist
New York City
1(800)662-5306

-No One Gets Out Alive, It's Only Life After All