RE: Are posts from Annie and Leon Wheeler a bot or something?

Jon Brock

Sep 11, 2006, 1:44:02 PM9/11/06
Gee, in one of his replies to Phil Payne, he mentions "one of your articles" and links to the Isham Research web site. Seems human enough to me. If it's a bot, it's good enough to pass a Turing test.

Jon

<snip>
However Anne or Lynn could answer us & confirm or deny.
Lynn ?
Can you answer us, please ?
</snip>

He also is not insulting or demeaning to other posters. I'll take that.

<snip>
What is good Lynn never answers "no, you're wrong, I know it" or fight
for the only proper meaning of USS acronym <g>
</snip>

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

tony babonas

Sep 11, 2006, 6:12:14 PM9/11/06
Whatever their site is I'm deeply envious of how
comprehensive its contents are. The design must be
such that:

1. It's readily update-able.
2. It's readily search-able, in that a reference to the
1978 version of the ABC Frammis get quoted
rather instantly.
3. Seeming non-redundant, though I must admit I only
read a few additional peripheral links.

Anyway, it impresses me.......

tb

Phil Smith III

Sep 12, 2006, 6:36:00 AM9/12/06
tony babonas <tbab...@COMCAST.NET> wrote:
>Whatever their site is I'm deeply envious of how
>comprehensive its contents are. The design must be
>such that:

>1. It's readily update-able.
>2. It's readily search-able, in that a reference to the
>1978 version of the ABC Frammis get quoted
> rather instantly.
>3. Seeming non-redundant, though I must admit I only
>read a few additional peripheral links.

Lynn Wheeler was one of the very early VM developers. He's been around IBM for 30+ years, starting as a student.

That doesn't answer the questions about the site, but that's WHO he is, anyway -- he's got the chops, he knows what he's on about.

..phsiii

Ted MacNEIL

Sep 12, 2006, 7:34:27 AM9/12/06
>Lynn Wheeler was one of the very early VM developers. He's been around IBM for 30+ years, starting as a student.

But, his posts are repetitive, difficult to read, and content-free.
I find, as I have said before, no value add.
History is one thing.
Droning posts are another.

When in doubt.
PANIC!!

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Sep 12, 2006, 12:12:07 PM9/12/06
to IBM Mainframe Discussion List
tony babonas wrote:
> Whatever their site is I'm deeply envious of how
> comprehensive its contents are. The design must be
> such that:
>
> 1. It's readily update-able.
> 2. It's readily search-able, in that a reference to the
> 1978 version of the ABC Frammis get quoted
> rather instantly.
> 3. Seeming non-redundant, though I must admit I only
> read a few additional peripheral links.
>
> Anyway, it impresses me.......

as noted here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html

much of the website information is maintained in some technology that i
originally worked on about the same time I was doing some system/r stuff
(original relational/sql)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr

which i've since rewritten from scratch a number of times.

the information is maintained and managed in the technology and then
(static) html files are periodically regenerated and changes copied to
the garlic web pages.

as i've mentioned a number of times before (and also referenced in the
attached comments) most of the html files have an exceptionally high
ratio of hrefs to amount of content (as well as attempting to simulate
bi-directional links) ... which possibly is the reason that many of the
major web crawlers appear to use it for regression case (hits to all the
files from the same crawlers several times per day).

the ietf index
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

and note on the merged taxonomies and glossaries
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#glosnote

for instance ... the privacy taxonomy/glossary was done in support of
working as co-author of the x9.99 financial standard

i.e. notes on various merged taxonomies and glossaries

Payment
Terms merged from: ACH, FACSNET, FRBC, FRBM, FRBSF, GAO, NSCC, and
misc.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/payment.htm

Security
Terms merged from: AFSEC, AJP, CC1, CC2, CC21 (CC site), CIAO,
FCv1, FFIEC, FJC, FTC, IATF V3 (IATF site), IEEE610, ITSEC, Intel,
JTC1/SC27 (SC27 site), KeyAll, MSC, NIST 800-30, 800-33, 800-37, 800-53,
800-61, 800-77, 800-83, FIPS140, NASA, NCSC/TG004, NIAP, NSA Intrusion,
CNSSI 4009, online security study, RFC1983, RFC2504, RFC2647, RFC2828,
TCSEC, TDI, TNI, vulnerability testing and misc. Updated 20060701 with
NIST IR 7298 Glossary containing terms from the following FIPS
documents: 140-2, 181, 185, 188, 191, 196, 197, 198, 200, 201; and the
following 800 documents: 12, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 24, 26, 27, 28, 30, 32,
33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 40, 41, 44, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 53, 55, 56, 57,
58, 59, 60, 61, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 72, 79, 83, 88, 90
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/secure.htm

Privacy
Privacy terms from merged Security Taxonomy & Glossary combined
with EU-DPD, FTC, GLBA, HIPAA, OECD, and OMB. Updated 20040222 with
terms from OMB. Somewhat related, X9.99, Privacy Impact Assessment
standard is now also available at ANSI X9.99
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/privacy.htm

X9F
Terms merged from X9F document glossaries: WD15782, X509, X9.8,
X9.24, X9.31, X9.42, X9.45, X9.49, X9.52, X9.62, X9.65, X9.69. Terms
from ABA/ASC X9 TR1-1999 replace terms from X9F TG-16 glossary
(identified by lower case x9 instead of upper-case X9). Original source
documents include: X3.92, X3.106, x9.1, x9.5, x9.6, x9.8, x9.9, x9.17,
x9.19, x9.23, x9.24, x9.26, x9.28, x9.30, x9.31, x9.41, x9.42, x9.44,
x9.45, x9.49, x9.52, x9.55, x9.57, x9.62, x9.69 x9.74, x9.76, x9.78,
x9.80, x9.82, and TG-17.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/x9f.htm

Financial
Warning: Not for light of heart, the combined glossary and taxonomy
is over 3.5 megabytes and has been known to lock up some browser
versions on some platforms (more because of the number of links than
size of files). There are >6600 terms, >8500 definitions and >35,500
href links. Terms merged from Payment Taxonomy & Glossary with Bureau of
Economic Analysis, Chicago Board of Trade, Commodity Futures Trading
Commission, C Harvey at Duke (Copyright, for non-commercial use only),
Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation,
International Trade Data System, International Trade Resource Center,
MidAmerica Commodity Exchange, New York Merchantile Exchange, New York
Stock Exchange, Office Thrift Supervision, Securities Exchange
Commission, Treasury Management Association of Canada, UN Office on
Drugs and Crime and Western Connecticut State University. Updated
20050320 with FIDC international terms
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/financial.htm

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Sep 12, 2006, 12:46:13 PM9/12/06
to IBM Mainframe Discussion List
re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#25 garlic.com

oh, and the e-server magazine article
http://www.eservercomputing.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=BCF4DE820EA64A858FB46EECB7C00BB4&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications::Article&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&AudID=174DB902288C4970A30C71C9427313A7&tier=4&id=BDFBAB466D2F4B27B4EDB579BED7D89E

as an aside to the comment about having been around ... my wife served
her time also ... worked on FS, was in the gburg JES group (one of the
catchers for ASP turning into JES3 ... and worked on a design for
merging JES2/JES3 into a single product) ... and then was con'ed into
going to POK to be in charge of loosely-coupled architecture. while
there she did peer-coupled shared data architecture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#shareddata

except for the IMS hot standby effort ... didn't see a lot of uptake
until parallel sysplex.

recent posting of old email in a.f.c newsgroup mentioning patent she got
on token protocol while she was doing her stint in POK
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#24